1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing Musical Scientists

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by steveg700, Jun 9, 2017.

1. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

SO, I have the option to buy Alfred Nobel for 500 faith. If I do so, Alfred Einstein comes up. Before my next turn, someone (Russia methinks) will buy Einstein. At which time, Alan Turing will show up and stick it to the next poor guy in line.

HOWEVER, if I don't buy Nobel, then he gets bought by Russia or whoever, and then the next guy in line is Alan Turing, who I will likely get stuck with. After I get him, Einstein comes out.

What is happening here? Somehow, my buying or not buying Nobel influences who shows up next.

2. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

which eras do these three scientists belong to?

3. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Modern

4. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

I was thinking an era change might have been involved but I guess not if they all belong to the same era

5. DudewiththeFood

DudewiththeFood King

I think it's supposed to be random within eras to avoid players being able to target specific people in the queue.

c4c6 likes this.
  6. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

The thing is, it's a peculiar randomization, because I can replicate both of those scenarios by reloading.

7. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Probably because reloading doesn't reset the randomization. it's pre-set.

There's a good chance that if you have two units about to attack, save, reload, and re-create, it will take and give the same damage as before the reload.

I believe Civ 6 still uses the "seed" system, and I think that's probably why you are seeing the exact same result.

THink of it as a time machine.

Locke_Daemonfire and Victoria like this.
  8. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

But if it's pre-set, then whether or not I buy Nobel before Russia's next turn shouldn't influence whether or not Einstein or Turing appears next. It's unlikely to have multiple pre-set lists that are purely contingent on which civilization acquired the previous scientist.

9. VeronicaCardican

VeronicaCardican Chieftain

It's hard to know exactly what triggers the next step in the seeded pattern.

If there was an individual pattern for great people and the rest of the game, then what you describe would be off.

However it's possible that the step that makes Einstein appear after you buy Nobel gets used up when you attack a unit or explore a goody hut. That could change the outcome.

If nothing else changes between your reloads except you buying or not buying Nobel, it would be logical to get same results each time for those two timelines.

You will probably also get a different result if you buy another GP before you buy Nobel in the same turn.

10. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Its an interestig one.... I was browsing the xml's yesterday and the scientists do have some requirements next to them but they are all to do with activation

I am of course guessing but because you buy through a screen that may be acivating the next scientist slightly differently... I would hate to think they have 2 routines for the same job though.

You can see who bought the great person in teh GP screen
    upload_2017-6-13_9-23-40.png

steveg700 likes this.