1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing NA? Don't cut enemy Iron!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Oddible, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Oddible

Oddible signal / noise > 1

So I'm slicing through Germany like butta with my Native American Dog Soldiers when I come across their Iron supply. Thinking that pillaging their Iron would cripple their capacity I cut it. My mistake. At that point, lacking iron, they ONLY produced Archers... stacks of them. My Dog Soldiers were standing there confounded - wishing they had more melee units to fight with their +100% against melee...

Long story short: Dog Soldiers need melee units to fight - don't prevent your enemies from making melee units!

2. Frimlin

Frimlin Wandering Wizard

Won't do that again, will you ;) hehe!

3. Landstander

Landstander Chieftain

Ha - good tip!

4. frob2900

frob2900 Chieftain

Of course, the AI's decision making code should understand to spam Archers when fighting against Dog Soldiers, irrespective of whether they have iron or not.

Still, good tip :goodjob:

5. The Lance

The Lance Chieftain

my decision making code doesn't even make that leap......

6. frob2900

frob2900 Chieftain

Well, when YOU are fighting Dog Soldiers, I'm guessing Chariots/Horse Archers and Catapults (if the stacks are big) are a better deal than archers. The difference of course being that the AI likes to be holed up in its cities, whereas human players try to destroy invasions in the open field.