1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing Same Game of Civ2 for 10 Years Lock The World in Eternal War

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Thunderfall, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

Imagine yourself playing the same game of Civ2 for 10 years, all the way to 3991 AD. What will the world look like? Will it be a utopia, or hell on earth?

A Reddit user named Lycerius did just that and here is his report of world at 3991 AD. It's not a pretty sight. He also posted a few screenshots of the game. Below is an excerpt:

It's a very interesting read. It made me want to pull out Civ2 disk and re-install it. :)

NOTE: If you don't want to play 10 years of the same game, I am pretty sure you can enable cheat mode and let the computer auto-play thousands of turns. :) Someone should try that and see if the world turns out differently. ;)

NOTE2: Civ2 forum has a thread on this too.

NOTE3: For those of you who like a challenge, use the saved game posted and see who can end the eternal war fastest! :)

NOTE4: This is getting tons of coverage all over in the news and social media.

2. Vortilex

Vortilex Imperator Mundi

TIL Thunderfall might be a redditor :p

3. Antilogic

Antilogic --

This reminds me of something...

4. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

This is insane! :crazyeye: We need to invite the player to our forums. I think he can qualify for a Guinness World Records!

The only thing I don't understand -- why, after 10 years, he is reporting 3991 AD status, and not say 4000 AD :lol:

5. Haig

Haig Deity

The description of that world's state was somehow a very depressing read.. :(

6. Raiki

Raiki Warlord

That's incredible! How many people can honestly say that they've undertaken any one endeavor (not including work or education) for ten years? Brittany Spears could have gone through over 3600 marriages in the time this man played one save of one video game.

:hatsoff: to Lycerius.

7. chrissifniotis

chrissifniotis GoogleCiv 2.0.0 coming...

8. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

I'm only surprised he didn't go fundie approximately 2000 years ago.

9. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Super Moderator

I was just about to announce this myself. Maybe we should have a competition to see who can get the most interesting late-game situation...

10. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

That reminds me of what someone did in SimCity. They started a game in 1993 with SimCity Classic, then imported the city into SimCity 2000 and kept playing, and then imported the city in SimCity 3000 and kept playing.

11. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

I hope this will get enough attention and maybe devs will think and realize what is best about civilization and make the next civilization game truly epic... or at least a decent next (after G&K) expansion for civ5.

12. Darth Revan

Darth Revan Chieftain

I had the same idea with civilization 4. I wanna play just infinite match 20000 bc scenario a week per turn running Future Mod (a mod I downloaded from this forum wich adds several future eras). Doing so I won't finish the tech tree in ten years! lol

WTF lol man I agree with you!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

13. Heerlo

Heerlo Jedi Master Hearlo

This is epic.My brother told me about this, and I just now went and looked it up.

I thought I would come here and link to it if someone hadn't done it already, but, nevermind.

Too bad I don't have Civ2.

14. theguy8882

theguy8882 Warlord

Rename all the remaining civs Oceania, Eurasia, and Eastasia.

15. i_imperator

i_imperator Imperator

Wow 10 years on one game of civ? I finish most of my games withen 2-4 hours and i think i beat the earth map with a domination victory in 7 hours. But 10 Years?!?!?!? Now that's a true civfanatic! :)

16. ryan1266

ryan1266 Chieftain

You sir deserve +rep for that reference (too bad there is none...)

I have the game on cheat mode at the moment letting the AI play through as quickly as possible (on the Earth map). Will report back with the results!

17. pba

pba Chieftain

I accidentally bought the G&K preorder on the wrong account. I have 2 steam accounts and the original CivV is on the other one. Do you think there is a possibility to get things right? Will try through steam support, i just wanted to know if anyone has had any experiences with this.

18. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

This makes me want to play Civ 4 again! Unfortunately my desktop computer's busted, and I don't know if it will work here in my notebook without crashing. :(

19. Civman33

Civman33 Gunship Pilot

I would love to try and do something like this in Civilization 4 or Civilization 3.

20. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Read this in The Age a few days ago; the story has spread considerably.