Playing Same Game of Civ2 for 10 Years Lock The World in Eternal War

if someone uploads the save i might have to think about reacquiring civ2 and playing this save...

You know, i almost forgot how Civ2 and Call to power were sooo deep that civ4 and 5 look like age of empires 1.

I accidentally bought the G&K preorder on the wrong account. I have 2 steam accounts and the original CivV is on the other one. Do you think there is a possibility to get things right? Will try through steam support, i just wanted to know if anyone has had any experiences with this.

Are you sure you are in the right thread? :mischief:

You know, i almost forgot how Civ2 and Call to power were sooo deep that civ4 and 5 look like age of empires 1.

Odd, I find each iteration to be a successful step up from the last, even civ5 - in it's current state anyway.

I miss CTP, I'm actually looking for CTP2, I'd like to see the original culture mechanic by Activision and how Firaxis may or may not have improved on it in civ3.

We need to direct this guy to Civ2 strategy and tips.

I had this problem once in Civ 2 because I was too lazy to properly conquer my enemies, having fun with a devestating nuclear war before I got off my ass and set up a proper invasion of the two other continents and an archipelago. Only a few percent of the world population died from nuclear annihalation and were replaced by growth, but about 75% of the world population starved to death from the polar ice caps melting a few times. I managed to clear up my main continent to better than before in about a 100 years by around 2050, using engineers flown in from the conquered nations (plus my own oc). The difficulty was Emperor and I'd finished teching sometime in the late 1800s or early 1900s. Funny thing is I can't remembering it taking a full 100 years for the polar ice caps to melt each time, but this was a long time ago.
Not quite everything became swamp before I managed to clean up the pollution, but it was fascinating to watch a fairly uniform region of another continent with a specific type of resource turn into plains and herds full of bufallo before eventually transfrming to deserts and oasises/something.

can polar ice caps still melt in civ IV or V??? never happened to me....

Global warming can occur, but the ice caps can't melt. However, the entire world can turn into desert if you let global warming go unchecked for too long.

Not as far as I know, I don't even remember if terrain tiles change due pollution.

iirc, in CIII, pollution just covers a tile, but can be cleaned up, but global warming gradually "dries" a tile until it's desert. In CIV, there's fallout from nukes and nuclear power plants, and tiles turn to desert quickly.

iirc, in CIII, pollution just covers a tile, but can be cleaned up, but global warming gradually "dries" a tile until it's desert. In CIV, there's fallout from nukes and nuclear power plants, and tiles turn to desert quickly.

That's right. Never experienced Global Warming in Civ5.

Civ II was easily the best game in this series, and Alpha Centauri was even better.

Civ III, IV, V ... all good games but still no where near as great as Civ II was.

Indeed! I would also have enjoyed a sequel wherein those scenarios occur where you're about to conquer the world but your opponent reaches Alpha Centauri first. Then you could have interestellar warfare!

Civ II was easily the best game in this series, and Alpha Centauri was even better.

Civ III, IV, V ... all good games but still no where near as great as Civ II was.

Hear that, Sid? This is what we want! Make Civ VI like Civ II!

And I cant even reinstall Civ II from the CD because its 16 bit .... Seriously why not simply do a remake of Civ II firaxis? Exactly the dame game, improved engine, WITHOUT CHANGING ANYTHING!!!!

Bluebyte did that with Settlers 2 10th Anniversary, and Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition is also in the making, there are so many other games that need the same thing like Civ II and Alpha Centauri, but stupid Firaxis want to change everything for the worse each time they make a new game.

Look at the Homm series too, sure they dumb a few things down in future versions, but V + VI still played pretty much the same as III did, and felt just as amazing and fun to play.

This makes me want to play Civ 4 again! Unfortunately my desktop computer's busted, and I don't know if it will work here in my netbook without crashing. :(

Netbook: Forget it. Civ 4 needs 1024x768; netbooks are only 1024x600. Not to mention the GMA3150 really can't handle Civ 4's graphics.

The good news is that there are other ways to play Civ on a netbook: Call to Power 2; Alpha Centauri; Freeciv (free!); and, my favorite non-Civ4 game: C-evo (also free but needs a one-byte Netbook fix).

- Sam

Netbook: Forget it. Civ 4 needs 1024x768; netbooks are only 1024x600. Not to mention the GMA3150 really can't handle Civ 4's graphics.

The good news is that there are other ways to play Civ on a netbook: Call to Power 2; Alpha Centauri; Freeciv (free!); and, my favorite non-Civ4 game: C-evo (also free but needs a one-byte Netbook fix).

- Sam

Wait - sorry, notebook. I sometimes interchange the words notebook and netbook since both seem to look like little portable laptops.

One of my friends just had Civ5 installed in his notebook - and it works. Will it still work in the long-term?

This makes me want to play Civ 4 again! Unfortunately my desktop computer's busted, and I don't know if it will work here in my notebook without crashing. :(
Netbook, notebook - the conclusion is the same:

I really wished Civ4 could be played without the three-dee graphics. I play it like a strategic game, and I never use the 3D controls. I just need zooming and you shouldn't need a 3D graphics card to do that.

The only thing you really need in this game is RAM; gigabytes and more gigabytes of it.

Civ IV is a much better game than Civ II once you move beyond the stock game and get in to all of the great mods the modding community has made for it. Unlike Civ II, the game mechanics can be completely changed by user-contributed mods.

For example, one user named "Cephalo" made a map script (a mod to change how Civ IV makes maps) called "Perfect World" that makes incredibly beautiful earth-like maps; Civ II's random map generator does not hold a candle to it. Indeed, I have taken this mod and made a "meta-mod" (mod of a mod) of it with more user selectable parameters and map types.

As another example, I have been playing a mod for Civ IV called "Legends of Ancient Arabia" lately. A few days ago, I realized the original designer made a mistake by allowing an easy win game-breaking strategy in the mod. I was able to, via Python scripting, patch this bug by limiting how many times a player can build a certain unit. Even though the Civ IV designers never envisioned having a per-player limitation for a unit to be built, I was able to add such a limitation to the game. That's something that never was possible with Civ II.

Factory stock Civ IV may not be as good as Civ II, but once you dive in to all of the mods out there for it, it is head and shoulders above Civ II in terms of flexibility and replayability.

Indeed, it would be feasible to make a "Civ II gameplay" mod for "Civ IV"--though, I should point out, no one has bothered to make such a mod.

- Sam

For example, one user named "Cephalo" made a map script (a mod to change how Civ IV makes maps) called "Perfect World" that makes incredibly beautiful earth-like maps; Civ II's random map generator does not hold a candle to it.

But it IS possible to create dynamic and functional earth-like maps for Civ II. Should post some of my old made maps (some of them used in games with my friends about 10 years ago). Hope I'll find time to do that soon. Most of them are small and no way to play game on them for 10 years, but you could never know - some people are really gifted.
:)

Miroslav

Yeah, the graphics and modding potential of the later games is drat high.

I wonder how soon we'll be hearing someone cracked the stalemate on Deity in 50 years or less. Total conquest seems like it might take some time though, what with extending SDI umbrellas or setting up troop shuttles.

Top Bottom