Playing Vox Populi Civ V Without A Graphics Card/Driver

Gidoza

Emperor
I have to imagine that this will come up for others sooner or later, so maybe it's worth a community solution to figure this one out.

So my graphics card still works, but not without crashing the computer semi-regularly, and I finally responded by killing the driver in its entirety. (a new card will cost as much as this old computer, so not much point in getting a new card) I've found some potential solutions online like SwiftShader, 3D-Analyze, and Razer ID, but none of them seem *quite* sufficient to get the game going (at least in Steam). I can at least get the game started...but it will crash at the loading screen. Anyone have thoughts on this? :)

I think there is no need for a super video card for this game. I can play without crashing on a separate PC that uses a gforce 8400 with average settings on drctx 9. This board is 2007 at the most.

It sounds as though a new mb, cpu, with onboard graphics would do it best. Could be cheaper than agpu, and leaves that option open in the future.

New, fast, cpu (speed>number of cores) will also have the advantage with turn times

I have to imagine that this will come up for others sooner or later, so maybe it's worth a community solution to figure this one out.

So my graphics card still works, but not without crashing the computer semi-regularly, and I finally responded by killing the driver in its entirety. (a new card will cost as much as this old computer, so not much point in getting a new card) I've found some potential solutions online like SwiftShader, 3D-Analyze, and Razer ID, but none of them seem *quite* sufficient to get the game going (at least in Steam). I can at least get the game started...but it will crash at the loading screen. Anyone have thoughts on this? :)

My first thought is that this is not a civ question, ie wrong forum.
The traditional crash (been there done that) is however, trying to load a modded game without first activating the mods.

With that said.
I've had my fair share of video card driver issues (sometimes combined with certain os versions) and have my preferences.
Usually you remove the drivers, there are often tools for it because they clog the system to an extent that the regular installer cant remove everything correct and then reinstall the a new driver.

I was also able to make the game run (slow on lowest settings) on a laptop with Intel built in processor graphics.

I've run the game on a MacBook Pro 2013 via wine on MacOS, where I very much doubt that any graphical acceleration is used. So you should be fine if you can avoid crashes.

:bounce: Perfect and cheap PC specs to run Civ 5 Vox Populi : :bounce:

- No need CPU with more than 4 cores. Best is 4 physical Cores. No big difference with 2 Cores. Virtual cores kill the perfs
- CPU CLOCK have more impact than Number of cores . Max Base Frequency is better
- GPU GTX-750 / HD76xx 2Go is already very good with 1920x1080
- More than 4GB is absolutly useless (32bit matter)
- SSD

- Find the way to keep your Win7/10 in good condition
- Find the way to run Civ5 with maximum memory available

Last edited:
I think there is no need for a super video card for this game. I can play without crashing on a separate PC that uses a gforce 8400 with average settings on drctx 9. This board is 2007 at the most.

I have an iMac 2008 that's running Windows. Based on the research I've done, I'm not even sure it can handle any card other

It sounds as though a new mb, cpu, with onboard graphics would do it best. Could be cheaper than agpu, and leaves that option open in the future.

New, fast, cpu (speed>number of cores) will also have the advantage with turn times

I got an SSD and upgraded the RAM a while before the graphics card died. It made a heck of a difference - but Macs are notorious for being upgrade-unuser-friendly and this seems like a suicide mission to me.

My first thought is that this is not a civ question, ie wrong forum.
The traditional crash (been there done that) is however, trying to load a modded game without first activating the mods.

With that said.
I've had my fair share of video card driver issues (sometimes combined with certain os versions) and have my preferences.
Usually you remove the drivers, there are often tools for it because they clog the system to an extent that the regular installer cant remove everything correct and then reinstall the a new driver.

I was also able to make the game run (slow on lowest settings) on a laptop with Intel built in processor graphics.

Fair enough that it isn't really a Civ question and thus a wrong forum question. I guess I came here first because I appreciate the community aspect of this forum.

I've run the game on a MacBook Pro 2013 via wine on MacOS, where I very much doubt that any graphical acceleration is used. So you should be fine if you can avoid crashes.

I suppose the issue I'm having is that when I boot into my Mac OS with the dead graphics card, the computer crashes almost immediately. I know how to disable graphics drivers on Windows...but TBH I'm not even sure how to do it on the Mac side. I could give that a shot and see what happens through Wine. But until now BootCamp has been working great.

:bounce: Perfect and cheap PC speacs to run Civ 5 Vox Populi : :bounce:

- No need CPU with more than 4 cores. Best is 4 physical Cores. No big difference with 2 Cores. Multithreads kill the perf
- CPU CLOCK have more impact than Number of cores . Max Base Frequency is better
- GPU GTX-750 / HD76xx 2Go is already very good with 1920x1080
- More than 4GB is absolutly useless (32bit matter)
- SSD

- Find the way to keep your Win7/10 in good condition
- Find the way to run Civ5 with maximum memory available

Fairly confident I have all these specs. Dual cores, 4 GB RAM, SSD, and Windows runes just fine UNLESS I install the driver. The fact of the matter is that Civ 5 won't even start. So I have all the specs...the question I'm missing is, what next?

GTX 760 runs civ 5 at highest without a hiccup. It even runs civ 6 at med to high on most settings without a hiccup. More than enough if you can find it.

Top Bottom