1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing with Netherlands with Rainfall set to "Wet"

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Astennu, May 25, 2014.

1. Astennu

Astennu Warlord

Anyone here ever have fun with this? I can't play a Civ without using their unique features so I need at least SOME marsh/flood plains for my Netherlands start. Here is a rundown of a recent game I played which was just awesome.

Immortal, Epic as Netherlands and I had EIGHTEEN tiles to put polders on (I also had legendary start set)

I snagged Temple of Artemis early and settled a second city next to Uluru to get a religion. Fertility Rites as Pantheon and Swords into Plowshares and Feed the world were the growth beliefs I chose. It was just ridiculous how powerful my capital was, snagging 15 different wonders (including Macchu Picchu and Forbidden Palace) by games end and having 63 population.

I also had 60gpt+ from Tithe throughout the game as my nearest neighbour (Shaka) did not found a religion and I could spread to him easily. By turn 300 I had close to 500gpt and amassed 10k by the Atomic Era for an easy diplo win. I had allied every City State for over 100 turns before winning.

In hindsight it almost felt like cheating having such powerful use of a Unique Improvement, but it was fun nonetheless.

Anyone else here play with high rainfall as the Dutch?

2. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

No, but I do hate "wet" rainfall setting.

3. MarauderCH

MarauderCH Warlord

I played a game on the Amazon map once where on of my cities was on a coast and every land tile it worked was a swamp hex originally. Production was slow early but powerful late. The Netherlands is fun but can be tricky at first.

4. Hemul

Hemul Chieftain

If you want a really cheesy game with the Netherlands, get a floodplains start. Start strong and grow like silly once you get the polders :D

5. happyturtle

happyturtle Mrs GrumpyOldCivver

My husband played a game as the Netherlands where he couldn't find marsh or fp's anywhere. Late in the game, he conquered a city that had a marsh in its borders, though too far for the city to work. He built a polder there just for the principle of it. :p

6. Astennu

Astennu Warlord

Was my first time ever playing with that setting.

I would also hate it when playing any other Civ besides the Netherlands.

They are a Civ when can be ridiculously awesome or average based on their starting terrain

7. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

Yes I did that. It was still hard to get more than one city with a lot of tiles for poddlers.
    I also set the resources to 'sparse' to try and make the civs ability more valuable, but it backfired because while I always had 1 of a resource that was half extra no one else had extra to trade.

8. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Playing as the Inca on a Skirmish-Map with Hills set as main tile is quite ridiculous, too.

9. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Netherlands has a grassland bias; not a desert bias so you'd have to disable start bias to have a shot at that.

10. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Emperor

Thank you for posting this. I tried it and started a new game yesterday... fastest game I've ever finished. Cultural victory in an amazing run away. I could have had any victory type. What an OP start! I had some marsh, but even better was the desert south of the capital with the Petra. The only weird thing was that I missed out on religion.

11. poekie70

poekie70 Chieftain

I find that jungle tiles get more common with the wet setting rather than marsh tiles or I could just be having bad luck. Also I play with the really advanced setting mod so I can set my start to either desert or start along ocean

12. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Jungle is a separate bias, so you shouldn't have started too close to that (unless the script couldn't find a grassland region.)

13. Astennu

Astennu Warlord

They do have a grassland bias, however I've managed to snag some powerful desert starts with them without disabling the start bias. Took a few restarts though.

On a related note, has anyone ever made good use of Sea Beggars?

They are such a cool unit however I've never found much use for them. If you attack a city it will likely kill the unit with a ranged attack. I have had awesome use with England's SOTL, however it seems that melee ships are just so vulnerable to counter attack that I rarely use them except for capturing already weakened cities.

My favourite way to play a game of Civ 5 is to utilize the unique attributes of a Civ to their fullest extent.

For example in my most recent game with England I flattened the Celts with Longbows, then the Zulus with SOTLS, all the while stealing two techs at a time with the extra spy. Then I upgraded my SOTLS to battleships and flattened tech leader Hiawatha with 5 carriers full of bombers (went Autocracy so my units were uber promoted.) The extra +2 movement to Naval Units was crucial in this campaign as Hiawatha was a long distance from me on his own continent.

Anyways I'd love to use Sea Beggars to help secure a victory like above!

14. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

I could relate to this a bit when I had chosen random and ended up with Egypt in a wet area with many sugar and grassland tiles near thebes. The only issue was that I wasn't taking advantage of the monument builders ua that Egypt has but I was making more gpt from all the sugar plantations.

15. Heretiv

Heretiv Warlord

Sea Beggars are best used as part of a mixed fleet - soften the city up with the frigates then send in the sea beggars to take the city and make some gold on the side.