Playing without steam

JT415

Chieftain
I know that there was a thread about this a few months ago but I cant find it. I play CivV on a comp that doesn't always have internet access, so is there a way to start the game without having to go through all the steam start up, plus Steam takes up some RAM that I'd rather use for the game. Thanks

it takes up negligible amounts of ram, it was designed that way. considering it's marketed to gamers who value their computer resources. the only time you would need to worry about your ram being used up is if your computer is about 10 years old+ and you have like 128mb of ram. however, your wanting to save ram on that machine to play games would be the least of your problems.

And no, there is no legal way to run civ 5 without using steam. You can run steam in offline mode, however.

I have the game and it runs fine, but I was wondering why, even when I'm not connected to the internet, I have to run the game thru steam. Today I was having problems starting Steam in offline mode. It said "cant connect because no internet connection" even when I tried to start it in offline mode. I'll try it again later because it just might have been my computer, but I just dont get why I have to always start the game thru the steam network.

Thanks for the responses by the way.

Steam's a bit of a double edged sword. Great for buying games cheaply (usually) and downloading them quickly, but occasionally their servers mess up and you'll be very lucky if you can get a refund on a game

I know of one way you can get around it is to have yourself connected to something...just not the net. For example, if you are on wireless, you would be connecting to your router. That in turn would be (possibly) feeding your modem. If you don't have net, stay connected to the router and run steam, and it'll see you have a connection but no net, and will say 'fail to connect to steam, would you like to run in offline mode?'

Or, at least, thats what's always happened to me, I've noticed. Maybe it'll help you. You could also just set steam to run in offline mode right before you disconnect from the internet when you know you may not have access to it again for a while. Then when you start steam again, it'll automatically be in offline mode.

I have had this problem, and many other, with steam. Even trying in offline mode it will sometimes tell me it can't connect and not start. Sorry I don't have an answer, I'm looking for one myself!

I have to disagree with you on something though lynxxyarly. Although it often uses small amounts of RAM, I have seen it sky rocket to the point where people have had computer locks. And have seen gliltches in updates cause you to have to completely reinstall the game and eat up precious bandwith. Steam is still wrought with problems and probably won't change. Can't beat those Holiday game deals though!

I know that there was a thread about this a few months ago but I cant find it. I play CivV on a comp that doesn't always have internet access, so is there a way to start the game without having to go through all the steam start up, plus Steam takes up some RAM that I'd rather use for the game. Thanks

when you are online with your computer, put steam into "offline" mode (top left corner "steam" then "go offline") then you will be fine to play civ without steam getting in the way, checking for updates ect ect
when u now boot up steam will automatically go "offline" mode :goodjob:

Top Bottom