Playing "World police"

Rickard77

Chieftain
One of my great pleasures when it comes to Civ 1 is to play "World police" the american way. Starting with americans on the US continent or in a new world. Trying to hold back the other civs development with military force and then protect the weaker civilisations from the stronger ones.

But one has to be quick! To send military units to defend a weak civilisations last two or three cities against the aggressor isnt the easiest, especially not when we have to deal with the aggressive russians, zulus, greeks or the mongols.

And there is always a risk that the civ you are defending sneak-attacks you!

Civilization is a great game for experimenting, but I prefer Civ 1 in just that matter, because in Civ 1 a Phalanx can defeat a Cannon, and a Frigate can kill a Cruiser or Battleship. One of the funniest part is when you place for ex. a Phalanx. a musketeer or a Rifleman on a mountain or a hill and fortify it. The enemy tries to attack you with their strongest units, but fails!

Yep, that's a fun approach, I like this one as well.

Only frustrating part is when you try to help some
weak, civilized society and they repay you by stabbing you in the back.

Ramses
"so, you saved my ass
against those brutal Zulus? Why don't I pay you back
by attacking some of your trade units?"

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you...

Also, it's a bit difficult to achieve World Dominance at the more difficult levels,
I actually prefer staying at Prince level on this one.

I tried that years ago, but was always attacked by the people I was there to defend.

That might be why the Americans use air strikes when possible. It's hard for spear-and-rifle-armed victims of genocide to shoot down your planes.

Top Bottom