Playlist Help!

PinkHammurabi

Warlord
Hey peoples.

It's been a long-standing pastime of a friend and myself to make playlists (or CDs cause we're old) to expose each other to songs. We're both big Civ fans and for my next playlist just for fun I want the theme to be namedropping cities that appear in Civ 6 but I don't know enough off the top of my head though I guarantee there are obvious choices I'm forgetting (there's absolutely songs about weary world tours that basically every band makes but nothing has come to mind which is frustrating).

So, I enlist your help. Maybe it'll be fun for you to think of.

A few things to note:

-Being that it's tailored to an individual, rock/punk/pop is by far going be the best bet, but feel free to suggest anything. Who knows, it could make it.
-I'm trying to limit it to two Civs per song at max (maybe three if I'm really struggling to hit 20 songs), and America is covered so non-American cities only (but again, if you feel strongly go ahead, it might be better suited than what I have already).
-I'd rather the city be mentioned in the lyrics but not in the title, as I don't want to give away the theme if possible. Some exceptions will certainly be made but I don't want to overdo it.
-No duplicate bands allowed. You can still recommend a song by a band I've already included cause maybe I'll replace it, though.
-That's all I can think of for now but I'll save this space for an edit (I forget if I can do that here, I haven't posted in ages).

I have thus far (American city songs not listed, I'll decide later):

-Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits (London, England)
-She's a Rebel by Green Day (Toronto, Canada)
-Sympathy for the Devil by The Rolling Stones (St. Petersburg, Russia)
-Back in the USSR by The Beatles (Moscow, Russia)
-Going Down to Liverpool by The Bangles (Liverpool, England)
-Kyoto Now! by Bad Religion (Kyoto, Japan)
-Godzilla by The Blue Oyster Cult (Tokyo, Japan)
-Your Star by Evanesence (Lisbon, Portugal... soon)
-We Didn't Start the Fire by Billy Joel (Berlin, Germany)
-Murders in the Rue Morgue by Iron Maiden (Paris, France)
-Voices by Matt Skiba and the Sekrets (Babylon.... Babylon)
-O Valencia! by The Decemberists (Valencia, Spain; though maybe this is cheating since it's used as a person's name [plus I did use this in the past but it's been ages]).

Intentionally unincluded:

-Amerstam by Guster (I used that one on a playlist recently already which is sad)
-Istanbul (Not Constantinople) by They Might Be Giants (just worried that'd really give it away; might make it the last song).
-The Ballad of John and Yoko by The Beatles (among others by them, because I'm using Back in the USSR right now).
-Goodnight Saigon by Billy Joel (it inspired this list, but he went and put it on a playlist for me thereby ruining it, so We Didn't Start the Fire replaced it).

So, you got anything? Anything is appreciated! And regardless, thanks for reading.

I'd be game for it.
Unfortunately, until I'm given back my SoD I'm sticking to Civ IV. So I don't know what cities of Italy might be there. Any lead?

I'd be game for it.
Unfortunately, until I'm given back my SoD I'm sticking to Civ IV. So I don't know what cities of Italy might be there. Any lead?

There is no Italy in Civ 6 per se, but there is the Roman Empire, which per the wiki has the cities listed here: https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Roman_cities_(Civ6)

Barcelona by Queen for...Barcelona.

The sound of that song will be a little too outta the norm of what's expected so I think between that and the title of the song it might be a giveaway. However, he does like Queen so I could add that toward the end perhaps. So thank you!

Interesting challenge, it was harder than I originally thought, but here's a few that came to mind.

For Scottish cities, plenty of Gloryhammer songs reference Dundee (as well as other towns, but I don't think they're on the list). The Unicorn Invasion of Dundee has the city in the title, so probably not that, maybe Quest for the Hammer of Glory, or, if you want a good long song, Apocalypse 1992?
Burning Times by Inkubus Sukkubus references Rome, as does Glory of Rome by Avantasia, although the latter is again one with it in the title
Uprising by Sabaton is about Warsaw (several other of their songs would work but that was my first thought)

Hey peoples.

-Being that it's tailored to an individual, rock/punk/pop is by far going be the best bet, but feel free to suggest anything. Who knows, it could make it..

Sinatra's New York, New York:

Or Alicia Keys New York:

HTH,

D

Pulling a few from the '80s:

"One Night in Bangkok" by Murray Head

"Night Boat to Cairo" by Madness

I don't know if you want to include City-States, but "Singapore" by Tom Waits

May be a long shot given the preference for rock, and the fact that the city name is in the title, but you could go with Tone-Loc's 'Funky Cold Medina' for the Arabs. :D

'Sat In Your Lap' by Kate Bush (references Mecca and Jeddah, Arabs)
'Power and the Passion' by Midnight Oil (references Sydney, Australia)
'Lava' by the B-52s (references Pompeii, obviously, Romans. Also bonus points for Herculaneum although that's not in Civ 6)
'Tical' by Method Man (not actually about the Mayan city of Tikal)

EDIT: 'Graceland' by Paul Simon (references Memphis which is in the Egyptian city list)

Last edited:
Interesting challenge, it was harder than I originally thought, but here's a few that came to mind.

For Scottish cities, plenty of Gloryhammer songs reference Dundee (as well as other towns, but I don't think they're on the list). The Unicorn Invasion of Dundee has the city in the title, so probably not that, maybe Quest for the Hammer of Glory, or, if you want a good long song, Apocalypse 1992?
Burning Times by Inkubus Sukkubus references Rome, as does Glory of Rome by Avantasia, although the latter is again one with it in the title
Uprising by Sabaton is about Warsaw (several other of their songs would work but that was my first thought)

He actually included Sabaton on the last playlist he gave me, so that's perfect and definitely on there. Same thing with Quest for the Hammer of Glory as it's definitely up his alley, as well as Burning Times which is freakin' amazing and I loved it immediately. So really, thank you!

Sinatra's New York, New York:

Or Alicia Keys New York:

HTH,

D

Both too on the nose, I fear, and not his style.

Pulling a few from the '80s:

"One Night in Bangkok" by Murray Head

"Night Boat to Cairo" by Madness

I don't know if you want to include City-States, but "Singapore" by Tom Waits

City-States are very much in play! Singapore wouldn't be his speed, though Night Boat to Cairo might work, and depends on how many songs I have with the city in their names already. Bangkok sadly isn't in Civ 6 and I'm sticking to this game only.

May be a long shot given the preference for rock, and the fact that the city name is in the title, but you could go with Tone-Loc's 'Funky Cold Medina' for the Arabs. :D

'Sat In Your Lap' by Kate Bush (references Mecca and Jeddah, Arabs)
'Power and the Passion' by Midnight Oil (references Sydney, Australia)
'Lava' by the B-52s (references Pompeii, obviously, Romans. Also bonus points for Herculaneum although that's not in Civ 6)
'Tical' by Method Man (not actually about the Mayan city of Tikal)

EDIT: 'Graceland' by Paul Simon (references Memphis which is in the Egyptian city list)

Funky Cold Medina could work as sometimes we kinda put "joke" songs on there (as it's not really for either of us) and could definitely be a funny inclusion. Sat In Your Lap may not work, but both Midnight Oil and B-52s would definitely work and I'll probably use at least one. Tical certainly doesn't work, and I think Graceland wouldn't either as it does specifically say Memphis, Tennessee lol.

I did mention in the original post that I'm avoiding this song as it feels like it could be a dead giveaway, but I may make it the final song to clue him in if he didn't get it. Such a fun song too! So even with my worries I'd be happy to include it.

Nas' "New York State of Mind" comes to mind :D

More of the same with Sinatra's, and even less in his wheelhouse lol. So probably not on that one.

You guys have been awesome and I hope you or others can think of some more!

Really!!! Thank you all so much!

Last edited:
Last time I was in a music thread on CFC we spent some time talking about 'Mr. Jones' by Counting Crows, a song I've just realised has Amsterdam in the lyrics (admittedly as the name of a club). So you could try that.

Trans-Europe Express by Kraftwerk if the more electronic stuff is permitted (has Paris and Dusseldorf in it)

I did also see that the capital of Mongolia under Kublai Khan is apparently Xanadu. So this is technically in-play :p

Last time I was in a music thread on CFC we spent some time talking about 'Mr. Jones' by Counting Crows, a song I've just realised has Amsterdam in the lyrics (admittedly as the name of a club). So you could try that.

Trans-Europe Express by Kraftwerk if the more electronic stuff is permitted (has Paris and Dusseldorf in it)

I did also see that the capital of Mongolia under Kublai Khan is apparently Xanadu. So this is technically in-play :p

Mr Jones is perfect and is going on there. Kraftwerk wouldn't werk so well, though. However, you did remind me of Rush's Xanadu and he loves Rush, but that song is 11 minutes long so, not sure about that one.

Thank you so much!

My suggestion for a reference to Xanadu would've been this, but if 11 minutes is too long, I dunno...

My suggestion for a reference to Xanadu would've been this, but if 11 minutes is too long, I dunno...

I came across this one as well in my searches, and yeah I think the length does push it a bit, haha. But I genuinely really appreciate the input!

The playlist is finished now, and I really want to thank you all, sincerely! Some songs in this thread made it on the list, and also helped inspire (or helped me recall) others that made the cut.

So really, truly, thank you all so much! I had fun making it and coming to CivFanatics was fun and supremely rewarding! Thank you all. =D

Top Bottom