playstation games

Really so do I!What level have you gotten to? Who's your fav skater?You know you should of made alonger thread starter.Anyway i got the game for the PC.What's your fav level? Mine's phily

------------------
The Spy has Spoken

Bob Burnquist's quite cool, but the best skater is the Scouse one - Andrew Reynolds I think. The baby Tony Hawk has all the best moves but they're really hard to do. Once again, Private Carrera's rubbish.
Best park? Hmmm..... None of them are as good as the first two competition skateparks in the first game, but the indoor skatepark's quite cool.

I want to get a new PS one game but can't decide - any recommendations? Medal of Hono(u)r looks good, but if you can tell me of anything else (apart from Civ 2) then please do.

------------------
in vino veritas

Metal Gear Solid!
Unquestionably the best PS1 game of all time.

I'm finding THPS3 pretty difficult (I've got the PS2 version but I presume it is similar to the PSX). I was up two and a half hours last night getting the Sick Score on the Suburbia level (with just one character). God knows how I'm ever going to get golds on the second and third competitions. And some of the decks/stat bonuses are damn difficult too, even on the first level. Using linking manuals seems inevitable but I hate 'em (I'm just not that dextrous) - I got through THPS2 without ever using a manual (except to unlock gaps).

Also, does anyone think that the Airport level should have come before Suburbia (and for that matter Canada before the Foundry), or maybe its only me or found them much easier.

No gap checklist either - hope we don't need to find them all for something - don't fancy sitting with pen and paper travelling every inch of the levels attempting to find possible leaps (let alone manuals).

It is a great game though - I've had my PS2 for 5 days and I've hardly had anything else in there.

Tomb Raider Chronicles was the one of the worst PS games ever! The first one was far, far superior.

Seeing Miyokan's signature reminded me of the best bit of THPS3 though, having "The Ace of Spades" as background music.

Well Nick, I'm finding THPS3 quite easy, but having said that I still can't do better than a silver for the last two skateparks, which is getting annoying. I've got the theory for the Skater's Island on - which is rubbish IMO - but can't make it work twice out of 3 runs. :(
It is: skate up the halfpipe and grind the side, jump onto bent rail and grind to end, manual from that across the way onto the next rail and then jump onto the can machine and keep grinding round the corner on the wooden bar. At the end of the bar I either (a) jump off to the left and land in a manual before pulling a 540 cannonball (easiest trick with big points) on the halfpipe opposite, or (b) manual from the end and jump early onto the rail in the corner, getting the Doorway Damage gap and allowing another manual to trick on the other side. This is very annoying because if you jump at the top of the riser you manual up, then you just fly into the wall and lose all your effort. :cry: You have to do it a couple of times to work out where to jump. These techniques should give you a large enough single trick to make getting gold a formality. You'd think. Except I can never do this one after the other and always end up with silver. Damn!!
I'll tell you the easy way to get the Suburbia Sick Score, but be warned: it requires more manualing! From the start, grind the series of three rails, with tricks in between. Often you'll be going too fast to trick off the last one so just go straight into a manual. From your manual, jump the three pieces of board (to get the Perfecting Your Skills gap) with a huge trick and land on a manual, continuing to a big turny trick on the halfpipe. The first time I did this I got 125,000 and just messed about for the rest of the run, making nearly 220,000. Then I did the other challenges with a huge smug grin on my face.
For the gap checklist, visit this link. You will definitely need the perfect balance cheat for some of them, but most are easy. Not like the ones on the Outer Space Level of THPS2, which took me and my mate five hours to do, including messing about with Moon Gravity and other cheats.

PS - Bear in mind that I've got the PSX version so the gaps on mine are different. In fact, the levels are substantially different as well, but the gap checklist is for your version. :goodjob:

I managed to get the golds on both the other competitions using Bucky last night, although the Tokyo one was a real *****. But as for the Sick scores on Los Angeles and Cruise Ship, I'm just beaten. I can get just over half the required amount on each level, at best. With practice I might one day achieve Cruise Ship, which at least has plenty of places for manualling between tricks but LA seems to have awkward gaps everywhere.

The two competitions duke mentioned rely on finding a route - Skater's Island I never settled on a particularly one but just ground up and down leaping from one place to another - never went outside at all - complete waste of time out there. In Tokyo I went down from the start ramp, right then nollied or no complied onto the ledge and ground round leaping about six or seven times until I reached the bowl at the other side, landed in a manual and then hopped up on the next rail and took 2-3 more leaps around - about 120,000 points if you can stay on all the way (I kept hitting retry if I fell off without at least 80,000). On one game I scored 279,000 with no bails and 230,000 with one and still only got the bloody silver, but managed a gold run with a couple of runs of just over 200,000 with a single bail on each. Much depends on the other skaters - I got 95. something and 96. something on the silver run.

Went on the net last night to see all the pros boasting about their 1.6 million single tricks - could throttle the lot of 'em. Still I suppose the game is well designed in that it provides some challenge for all abilities - if I could get these final Sick Scores (and open the Secret area in Tokyo) I'd say it was just about perfect.

PSX Good! Anyway suggestions for games:
(Most of these are fairly old, got to go with quality and not shininess)
RPG's:
Dragon Warrior VII - quite possibly the greatest old school RPG ever.
Suikoden I&II - Picked up the first one for $20 after reading a review been hooked ever since. The save transfer is sweet too.
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete - The way a great game should be treated. (Good luck finding an unused copy)
Adventure:
CastleVania: Symphony of the Night - My god I never thought a game could be this good.
Resident Evil 1-3 - play these late at night, alone, sober.
Ape Escape - For the controls alone.
Frogger - Evreryone that I know who has a PSX already has a copy, it should just come with the system, it's worth the $20 for the first 4 levels.
Sports:
I wasn't very thrilled with the sports on the PSX, better off gettin a Dreamcast cheap with their lineup but..
Tony Hawk Pro Skater- Should come with the system like Frogger should.
THPS 2&3 - These are pretty much the same as the first with the addition of create-a-skater/park but well worth the cash.
Driving/Racing:
Driver - This is awesome to watch nevermind play.
Gran Turismo - "Damnit you're drooling all over the controller."
For Kart racing your better off with a GBA and Mario Kart: Super Circuit.
Others:
Metal Gear Solid - maybe it's me but I like my tactical games on the computer.
Syphon Filter - Another genre I like better on the computer, but when you need to blow something up...

Another great but old game on PSX is Magic Carpet - I've played through it three or four times (tho' I had to cheat a bit on some of the higher levels).

And for anyone interested in my progress on THPS3, I've managed the Sick Score twice on the Cruise Ship and once in LA but still can't get the Tokyo secret area.

Well since we're talking about different versions but don't seem to care, I have completed it with 3 skaters now but can't get all the level goals. To be honest, the sick scores are eminently possible if I can persevere with all the characters - I've done them with a couple - but the flags on the airport level are damned near impossible. Grr. There's only one I can't get and the theory is that you grind a rail then wallride and wallie to the next rail up but it doesn't bloody work. I'm getting really annoyed with it! Once I can get the flags then I can start using the cheat menu and can get all the gaps for Wolverine!!
In Matt Hoffman Bikey Fun, or whatever it was called, then you got a new character if you could get a 400,000 point trick (think it was an old granny or something), so my mate tried this on THPS3 but it didn't work. Maybe it's far more points but all you have to do is to build a custom skatepark with a grind going all the way round, put some special blue gaps on the rail and then do you special grind all the way round, changing grinds and pulling tricks in between until you get the score you want before jumping off into a manual and then pulling an enormous trick. Reverting and then continuing to grind would be exceptionally cool!

In the PS2 version all the flags are on the same level - just grind the lowest red rail at each end of the terminal - is it different on THPS3 on PSX?

God yeah!
At each end of the terminal there are three rails that go all the way round the walls. The first flag (Mexico - wrongly identified as Italy on the Tony Hawk site) is easy because you can just get it by jumping on the QP opposite the bottom of the escalator. The next two are easy as they hang on the bottom rail and can be ground onto without too much difficulty. Then the next two are real stinkers. One is on the top rail hanging down but in such a position that you can't get it if you jump off the airport sign and you have to grind around a long way to it. The most difficult is the last flag which is on the top level right at the back of the terminal but so far that you can't just transfer off the top of the QP onto it. You have to stay balanced for so long that it's impossible for me. :cry:

i have THPS2 :)
My fav. level is the school.
Medal of Honor 1 and 2 are great! i recommend them both.
I can't wait to get Medal of Honor 3 for PS2 :)
it starts off with you invading the beaches of normandy!

The best Tony Hawk level is the first, indoor, skatepark on THPS. The thrill you get when you first realise that it's possible to grind the rafter rails is incredible. I also pulled my first 900 in the halfpipe there! In fact, that was the only 900 I ever managed to pull before you could customise the trick selection buttons in THPS 2. :cool: Admittedly, I tried several times before I could land it, even with Bonelesses (?).

For those who are interested, I managed to finish THPS3 3 times last night, having finally persevered with getting the flags. I took me about eight or so restarts before I got them all for the first time, but I came off the grind with over 100,000 and it was a simple matter of a couple of manuals and a big 720 for the sick score to be academic. I still haven't got the perfect balance cheat, which you need to get all the grind gaps and unlock Wolverine, but once I finish it twice more then I'll be home and dry. Does anyone know how to get Private Carrera is this version? My mate has Wolverine and has finished it with all the characters but she doesn't seem to be there. Having been in the first two, you'd have thought that she'd be back for number 3, hopefully with the emphasis less on her relative absence of clothes and more on some audacious special tricks. :D

Top Bottom