[NFP] Playstation versus PC

Francel

Madam Secretary
Hello fanatics. I am wondering, is there anyone who has played Civilization VI on both console and PC?
Specifically, I am referring to PS5 (not sure if it matters).

Right now on the Playstation Store, Civ 6 is on sale. To get the base game, both expansions, and NFP, it would still cost $70 plus tax.

The reasons I would consider picking it up on console are multiplayer/playing with friends and better graphics/performance. Yes, I believe the PS5 could theoretically run Civ on higher settings than my PC.

I don't use any non-firaxis mods, so that isn't an issue for me, but I do like to configure settings such as the map parameters.

Here are my questions:
What is different about playing civ 6 on console versus PC?
Are there any advantages/disadvantages?
How do graphics/performance compare?
How do customizability/settings compare?
How does multiplayer compare?
How does using a controller compare to using the mouse/keyboard?

Thank you so much to anyone who can answer these questions!

I have it on both switch and PC. I got it on switch so I could play on a train, and it's good for that. Otherwise, I would never choose anything EXCEPT PC if I was limited to one. The PC version is better in every way except that I don't want to lug around my PC on the go. For a strategy game like this, mouse and keyboard is way better than a controller for inputs (although it's not bad with the switch becuase you also have the touch screen in handheld). PC gets patches first and is clearly the developer's priority (as it should be).

I don't know how the performance is on PS5, but on switch the framerate is annoyingly low (yeah I know it doesn't matter that much for a turn based game, but it's still annoying). I do get crashes in different situations on PC and Switch, but in either case, it's not that common.

As far as I'm aware you can't mod the game on consoles unless you mod the console itself. You can mod all you want on PC. I don't play civ multiplayer so no idea about that.

For a strategy game like this, mouse and keyboard is way better than a controller for inputs

I disagree. I much prefer the console UI and controller unit movement. It is a far more comfortable playing experience especially if you can play in your lounge (or bedroom).

PC performance can't be beat usually. (PS5 > PC? IDK).

I play on the Switch. Until recently that was my preferred method of Civ VI play, especially as I could play commuting.
As of about 2 patches/updates ago the Switch version started to lag badly for me. (I also upgraded my gaming PC rig so the performance gap has increased considerably).

Still if the Switch performed as well as the PC I most certainly will play exclusively on the Switch. Mod on the PC.

Consoles don't have access to mods. Some though, like maps, can be made to be compatible via 2K cloud save (like the ones I've modded).

I don't use any non-firaxis mods, so that isn't an issue for me, but I do like to configure settings such as the map parameters.

Here are my questions:
I have it on PC and PS4Pro. The only thing I'm missing on console is some QoL mods I don't have, mainly UI optimizations like better trade screen...
Asides from that I'm pretty pleased. Control is good, although Mouse and keyboard IS faster. But the port by Aspyr is pretty decent and easy to handle.
Graphics are comparable in general.
Settings are identical, customizability as far as you mean via settings, too.
And idiotic 2k launchers are not an issue. I had a few crashes during the NFP patches and broken save games, but since the major patch is supposed to come in April it should be a minor annoyance from now on (hopefully).
Since I don't play Multiplayer Civ I refrain from a verdict.
I'd say go for it. :)

Thanks ya’ll. How are load times? Do turns take a long time on big maps?

Thanks ya’ll. How are load times? Do turns take a long time on big maps?

Oh yeah.
Load times are considerably worse on the Switch. PS5 and Xbox maybe faster IDK.

As far as playing large maps, there has been a problem with playing very large modded sizes in Civ VI since GS. (See the Bug Reports forum).
Surprisingly the Switch (and I expect the other consoles) can play very large maps (that play on the PC) including the ones I modded!

Performance is surprisingly good. (Though that maybe down to the ARM vs. x86 architecture).

Do turns take a long time on big maps?

They go by quickly enough but the game has a tendency to start crashing in the late game on anything larger than a standard size map at the moment and gets worse the longer the game goes on, even on next gen consoles so you should take that into consideration.

Also, there is no map search function on consoles.

My experience is based on PS4 Pro version.

Using the controller vs mouse/keyboard which does slow you down however you might want to present it. UI is even more limited on console. Personal comfort may be greater if your couch accommodates you better than the chair.

Advantages are softer and more comfortable furniture you can use while playing the console version. Big TV screen.

Disadvantages:
Apart from controller slowing you down, there are some irksome UI limitations: no map search function (which was the most useful addition), the top infobar is inaccessible with the controller, so you can't "mouse over" on the yields on the very top bar and see their breakdown in a tooltip. That makes it very difficult to monitor your trade deals - the only way becomes going to those hopeless reports screens. Gpt deals are listed at the very bottom of the first tab. You can collapse those enormous city yield rows to get down there faster but when you leave the tab and come back everything is expanded again and you must collapse the rows again. "Fun", the very definition of it.

Depends on you rig, I guess. On PS4 it does look nice. Turn processing speed is also not very noticeably slower, you start to experience lag on Switch much faster.
As for stability, last time, when I played it a few months ago, there were serious crashing problems. On standard speed and size map I barely could complete a game. Between t220-t260 I started to get crashes every now and then, and strictly every second turn towards the end. Certainly not up to a quality standard. Now I read that the situation is improved, however I won't be playing on PS4 before April patch is done.

The same I guess, just no modding options.

Can't comment, never played.

Mouse and keyboard is much faster and efficient, of course.
The only place I find controller more convenient is when I have to adjust the trade deal gold amount in the deal screen, everywhere else the controller loses. Try checking unit's promotions, for example, or great people screen, or victory screen tabs - you can't go directly to the desired value, but must cycle through everything in order, one way. But it is manageable.

I'd say console version suits well for a relaxed game when you have all the time in the universe. But if I had to pick only one version from the two, it would be PC version 100 times out of 100.

I mean, if you wanted to, you could use a controller on PC. I don't think you can use a mouse and keyboard on console.

I mean, if you wanted to, you could use a controller on PC.

You can in theory.

I tried it years ago when you could hook up a dualshock controller on Steam and use Civ VI. But the movement is horrible (on PC) cos it's trying to be a mouse, basically. You may think you get best of both worlds, but instead you get the worst of both worlds.

It's a shame, but I would ideally love to see a "console mode" option in Civ VI, so you could hookup a controller and use the upscaled UI.

Mouse and keyboard is much faster and efficient, of course.

I find I'm much better with unit movement on the controller.
But it may personal. I'd developed some sort of RSI using mouse (especially right-clicking) and there is just too much discomfort for me using mouse+keyboard for Civ VI.

In fact using the controller playing hours and hours of Civ VI really helped to cure my RSI and finger/hand pain.

I find I'm much better with unit movement on the controller.
But it may personal.

Yes, I agree. My first and only contact in terms of gaming was with mouse and keyboard for a long time, consoles and controllers came quite late into my life. I got used to the controller somehow, but still, I feel that mouse and keyboard give me much more freedom most of the time, except maybe flying or driving games and such.
And in Civ VI, as concerns unit or general maneuvering, the controller is very much ok. Problems start cropping up when you want certain information from the game quickly. Civ VI isn't fabulous in this respect in general, and controller isn't too helpful here either.

I would second pretty much everything BlackButterfly said. I have it on Switch.

The controls seem like they woukd be worse on console, but they are done very well and I actually find them better, especially with touch screen (yes, I know, doesn't apply to PS).

Having it as a console is a lot better for me, I find it easier to relax and enjoy it, as opposed to the computer. Personal thing, I guess.

There are more bugs and it's less stable on console, but you'll generally never have something serious go wrong that won't be fixed by a reboot - I've heard stuff of things like that with the PC. Also, it's nice to know that I won't have to deal with launchers.

There are definite advantages to having it on PC, but there are also strong points to the consoles too.

Problems start cropping up when you want certain information from the game quickly. Civ VI isn't fabulous in this respect in general, and controller isn't too helpful here either.

Yeah.

I think Aspyr (& Nintendo) did a fantastic job with the console port, especially with the controller interface.
But the up and down arrows are unused. They could've had a shortcut for skip turn and sleep for example.

It's too bad I have to make the non-refundable purchase to experience it for myself. I wish there were a free trial. I'm going to look for some youtubers playing on console to see if it gives me a better idea of how it plays.

Thanks again for the info everyone.

70 bucks is a bit steep at this point in the lifecycle, regardless of if there will be another season or not, that is my thought. Wait for the undoubtley upcoming sale and you should be good to go...
After the offer is before the offer...

I tried it on my Xbox X but the control system was just too clunky using a 55" OLED. Too limiting and just 'felt' wrong. And I actually prefer say XCOM 2 on the Xbox over the PC for instance.

A decent PC is surely the optimum way to play it but they've done a really good job of the console ports, they work very well.

Beware, the last game update has caused significant crashing issues on consoles. Never had a crash before the last update, now it crashes all the time. Developers are certainly aware of it (I see people badgering them on Twitter about it all the time) but no acknowledgement whatsoever.

The controls on console work just fine and you don’t have to deal with the launcher.

The biggest drawback is Fireaxis being stuck in the early 2000 and not offering mods on consoles. In a world where Bethesda of all people made modding on consoles work there is no excuse for this.

That being said even though I am a console user I would recommend PC so you can get mods.

Beware, the last game update has caused significant crashing issues on consoles. Never had a crash before the last update, now it crashes all the time. Developers are certainly aware of it (I see people badgering them on Twitter about it all the time) but no acknowledgement whatsoever.

Which console are you on? I am on xbox and the last update removed all crashes for me

Developers are certainly aware of it (I see people badgering them on Twitter about it all the time) but no acknowledgement whatsoever.

They acknowledge the weirdest things. Some of the developers have acknowledge non-game breaking bugs in the chat of streams but the consistent issue of crashes on the consoles going on for months at this point have only been mentioned in the patch notes. Really makes reconsider spending more money of Firaxis games.

Top Bottom