1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

plea to firaxis: suryavarman leaderhead

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by s0ulst0rms, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Panda

Panda Metal head

I don't see a point in bringing up carvings, statues and paintings from centuries back as 'proof' how a leader 'really looked like'. At best this 'evidence' serves as testimony of the beauty ideals of it's time that was applied in order to spare the artist's neck from royal anger.

Also, the initial plea is absurd to imagine Firaxis would change an animated leader head 28 days before it's release. :rolleyes:

You know, if you all had agreed on taking in Hitler as Germany's third leader, not only wouldn't you be foaming about the Holy Roman Empire, you'd also get as authentic a leader head as possible. :p :lol: :p

2. andrewlt

andrewlt Prince

Seems like an old Chinese man/woman to me. I'm Chinese and the LH looks androgynous.

3. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

you could also pass him off as Vietnamese too. and im Viet.

4. Bongo-Bongo

Bongo-Bongo The Master

I think it's a well designed leaderhead personally, especially as there is little to say what Suryavaraman really did look like. It doesn't matter that he's ugly, some people just are.

5. s0ulst0rms

s0ulst0rms Chieftain

they don't have to redo it or anything, just tweak his face a bit... like those super thin eyebrows and prunish cheeks or something.

6. JMaltman

JMaltman Prince

The yellowness is the big issue. The Khmer people are darker than their neighbours (other than the people of Laos), although Suryavarman II was apparently born in what would be modern Thailand. Still - why they chose to make him yellow is beyond any of us.

7. dutchking

dutchking Deity

I think he looks kinda cool...with Angkor Wat behind him and everything, he looks like he's in Florida in front of a mall or something :lol: thats pretty sad...But he still looks kinda cool.

8. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

actually, i know that Khmer noblewomen were said (according to Chinese explorer sources) to have very pale skin, because they were locked up inside their homes all the time. though i think kings went out much more, maybe that could be the (weak) logic behind his not-so-darkness.

9. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

he looks like he's sick or something.

10. Dom Pedro II

Dom Pedro II Modder For Life

Yes, I'm absolutely certain that, given the game's impeccable dedication to historical accuracy elsewhere, they based the detail of his skin on obscure ancient Chinese sources on the people of Cambodia ;)

11. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

He also looks like he's about to barf...

12. SkippyT

SkippyT Who?

He looks like he got the random event:
    "Poison in your granary in Angkor (capital)".. and didn't do anything about it. I think Hatshepsut has a competitor in the "weirdest face" competition.

13. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

or youngest leader comp for Civ 4.

14. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

youngest leade? he doesn't look that young....

15. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

talking bout the egyptian leader of which i can't spell.

16. Ninjazn

Ninjazn Chieftain

Khmer civilization was a Hindu civilization, Suryavarman is also a very South Asian name. This "model" looks nothing like what he probably did look like when he was alive. Although Civilization isn't about historical accuracies.

17. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

well actually it is.. sorta...

18. phantom59

phantom59 setteler

He looks like Jabba the Hutt, if he was anorexic.

19. NYHunter

NYHunter King

Yes, but it is very abstract, but I guess that is where the "sorta" comes into play.

20. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

wasn't obscure, my friend. 'twas an official emissary from the Chinese emperor himself! guy wrote a book on everything about the Khmer. but its quite surprising that Firaxis would do such... such... histoirical accuracy!