1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Please advise which Victory Conditions to Enable or Disable

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Marshall Thomas, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Marshall Thomas

Marshall Thomas King

I'm about to start a new game and I'm trying to decide which victory types to enable or disable.

Would you please make the case for or against the different victory types being turned on or off. Thanks in advance

also: In case it effects what victory types you'd argue for or against, I'm going to play on a large, continents map with 16 civs and 28 city states; emperor difficulty. Thanks in advance

2. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

The only reason to disable any victory condition is if you don't want the AI to win by achieving that condition, or you don't want to win "accidentally".

The former is just arbitrarily making the game easier, the latter is only really possible if you're planning on pursuing a city state strategy but don't want a diplomacy win, and someone else builds the UN wonder.

So except for that last case, leave them all on.

3. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Play four games to win; Diplomatic, Cultural, Scientific, Domination in that very specific order... you won't regret it.
    I really don't need to spoil the fun you might get from any, but i should add this;
    Focus gameplay & tricky decisions.

And only then, go for pure scoring with everything ON.

4. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

There's another way to win accidentally: If an AI goes stompy over the whole Pangaea and you take their capital, you win.

I usually leave them all on but I could see switching off diplomatic victory because it's hard to get science or something before an AI can build the UN and bribe a ton of CS/make you win by accident

5. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

instead of turning off the diplo victory you could just add siam and greece to the game. both of them go crazy recruiting CS's now, plus I've had many post-patch games where the ai and I get into bidding wars on CS's. it takes more gold at a minimum to get the diplo win, and in competitive games on immortal+ you could get outbid enough that you can't win that way at all. imho it would be more effective if the ai literally spent all their gold buying up CS's when the UN is built, however. then you wouldn't want to build the UN if somebody has 30-40k gold unless you had enough to outbid them.

6. aguds

aguds Warlord

I always turn off 'time'.

7. Marshall Thomas

Marshall Thomas King

I suppose the point could be made that the score victory is the most balanced and complete victory, as it could be seen as a population, technology, cities and wonders victory. What's your opinion of playing with only score victory enabled?

8. Surgeon

Surgeon Warlord

The only one I turn off is diplomacy just because I dont agree with the 'he who buys the most wins'. Even then I only rarely do it.

9. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

But what if the AI does that? If you let the AI get rich enough to buy enough C/S to win, then that would be a challenge to not let that happen. I guess it comes down to "house rules". Allow all victory conditions for the AI but restrict yourself in how you can win without the cheese.

10. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

Yeah, but for the same reason that you feel cheap winning that way, it feels cheap to lose that way.

11. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

I hate disabling conditions, especially ones the AI might beat me at. I am a civ player that plays more for challenge than sandbox. While it irks me that sometimes the UN goes up before I can launch on deity, it at least tells me the AI is still able to beat me when I am playing really well.