1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Please allow multiple Strategic Resources for modding

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Lynnes, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Lynnes

Lynnes Chieftain

Right now it doesn't seem to be possible to define more than one kind of strategic resource for any unit type at once (which was possible in Civ V, so Knights would require iron + horses or for Tanks it would be iron + oil and so on), which is too bad because this is something which would add great possibilities for modding (in general and for scenarios) and I absolutely loved it in Civ V!

Imagine scenarios where one of your goals is to gather different resources at different places on the map, so you can finally build those units you so desperately need! Also this would be very helpful for mods that try to add more depth to the strategic resource aspect in general.

So could you please bring this option back, by adding something like "StrategicResource2" and "StrategicResource3" for <Units>? Or anything else that would do the trick, maybe as part of the SDK-release?
    This would be just great! :)

dunkleosteus and FangoriousFae like this.
  2. Jambrose

Jambrose Chieftain

+1. I am soo looking forward to splitting heavy and light cav according to iron+horse/horse req.

FangoriousFae likes this.
  3. Lynnes

Lynnes Chieftain

Bump just in case the devs are reading this and there is a chance to implement this into the Expansion Update.

4. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy Civ is brain candy.

I just completed a mod that is a hybrid between requiring strategic resources and gaining production bonuses from resources for units. For example, the tank requires Oil and gains a 50% production bonus from iron and coal. This is the closest I can get to what you are suggesting. I will be posting it soon. Just doing some play testing.

5. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

You can also use fake buildings and Lua to limit construction of an unit based on available resources.

dunkleosteus likes this.