Please break up some of the civilopedia categories.

Endless Rain

Chieftain
Several of the categories in the Civilopedia, such as the Units, Buildings, and Technologies categories, have so many entries that it causes significant lag when browsing those sections. Even for computers that do not experience lag, the sheer amount of entries in each category makes finding things extremely difficult.

Ideally each category shouldn't contain any more than 250 entries. The worst offender, Buildings, has over 2500 entries. I have never seen any other Civ 4 mod add so many entries to individual categories in the Civilopedia, and the resulting lag makes this mod very difficult for me to play.

Some possible ideas on how to split up the Civilopedia categories:

Split Units, Buildings, and/or Technologies by era.

Move animals to their own category instead of putting them in the Units category. Depending on the size of the category, subdued animals can either go in this category or have a category all to themselves.

Move all city effects that are treated as buildings by the engine (Crime, Pollution, Education, etc.) into a new category.

If all else fails, and a category is still too big, divide it in half by alphabetical order. (For example, if the Subdued Animals category is still too big, it can split into Subdued Animals A-M and Subdued Animals N-Z)

Maybe you could get whoever designed the Civilopedia entries for the C2C Cultures to revamp the Civilopedia. Cultures are considered Wonders by the game, but they have their own category in the Civilopedia. Similarily, Heroes are given their own category despite being considered Units by the game engine. If you can do that, you can probably do the same thing with other categories.

It is possible but not quite straight forward and there is a bug in the buildings code that causes delay and I can't remember what it is. I think I may have added it when I did the split on Cultures but I am not sure.

The other problems are the names of the splits and so on.

BTW. I am back from my holiday to the Steampunk Festival in New Zealand! Had a good time but I am way to big to fit in planes comfortably.:D

Glad you enjoyed yourself and had a great vacation. :)

It is possible but not quite straight forward and there is a bug in the buildings code that causes delay and I can't remember what it is. I think I may have added it when I did the split on Cultures but I am not sure.

The other problems are the names of the splits and so on.

Are you able to do it? This would be a huge quality of life improvement to the C2C Civilopedia.

I've seen a few mods that break the civ entries for ease, like Master of Mana. It's entirely possible.

Top Bottom