Please give us campaigns!

Commander Bello

Say No 2 Net Validations
At the 2K forum I have taken the liberty to propose to have campaigns.

As I am not a modder by myself, I am posting the proposal here once again as it might give an idea to our skilled modding community.
What I mean by this would be the option to build a "chain of scenarios".

From what I have read so far, it shouldn't be too difficult to create simple, small scenarios which would require you to fulfill a certain task, say occupy the enemy's cities.
Upon completion, this should lead to another scenario (automatically) which is based on the results of the first scenario (maybe you would get more land, more units, more ressources or whatever). Then you would have to fulfill the second scenario's requirements and would be led to the third. And so forth.

Actually, my idea would be to have kind of Panzer General-like campaigns.

To me campaigns would be totally pointless in Civ, that's what the scenarios are for.

To me campaigns would be totally pointless in Civ, that's what the scenarios are for.

Several connected scenarios can be called a campaign. The point of the campaign (instead of a single scenario) is to railroad player a bit to a certain direction.

I myself dont miss campaigns in Civ (nor any other game for that matter) but wouldnt object them either.

Exactly. And as CornPlanter has said already, a campaign would just "chain" some scenarios.

It would just mean to give an additional way of playing the game. In no way I meant to replace the epic civilization game.

Several connected scenarios can be called a campaign. The point of the campaign (instead of a single scenario) is to railroad player a bit to a certain direction.

This is exactly why campaigns wouldn't work in Civ. The re-playability of Civ is the ability to play the in completely different ways, even with the same leader. With a campaign you loose that.

Thinking about it: Scenarios are probably just to small for this, it would need a mod.
And i'm also not sure, if the "campaign" would be a good or big part...could be, but not a must.

I bet you could do this in Civ4 mods if you wanted.

Like the FfH2 scenarios you mean ;)?

Campaigns are unnecessary, and i rather they spend more time improving gameplay. i bet modders in this forum are more than willing to make some for us.

Firaxis usually includes some professional mods. I wouldn't be upset if one of them was a campaign type mod.

And if you're listening, Firaxis, I'd love to see a Napoleonic era mod. :deal:

I bet you could do this in Civ4 mods if you wanted.

I don't know if that's meant to be ironic or you really didn't know, but at least one Civ4 mod came out with an absolutely stunning series of such "campaigns" last year - Fall From Heaven 2.

FfH2 campaigns were more of a chain of scenarios with very little effect from previous scenario to the next. If you compare with, for instance, Battle for Wesnoth campaigns, I think it was rather weak.
Personally, I'm not very fond of campaigns. To be interesting, they need to have stuff carry on from one scenario to the next, otherwise they are only a limitation of the available scenarios that are available.

Ageed; and the more you carry over, the less fun the later missions become, because either you're too well prepared or you're not well prepared enough.

NO campaigns its a waste of development dollars!

Top Bottom