Please help a pc idiot

BaconLad

Chieftain
Hello,

after owning the psx version for about 12 years i've finally got the pc version.
The disc did not come in a box or with instructions so I don't know what version it is.
On the disc it says "the ultimate version of the best selling strategy game" and it's also dated 1996, so hopefully someone will know what version this is.

Anyway, the problem is when I turn my laptop on and click on the game or map editor they both work fine, but only once. Everytime I want to click on either of them again, nothing happens and I have to restart the laptop.

Also can someone please explain how I can add/take away a tribe and edit tribe colours and there city names?
I want to add Scots (Scotland) as a dark blue, Welsh (Wales) as a blood red, and Irish (Ireland) as an emerald green.

Also can someone please tell me what the largest custom map possible is? I tryed 100*100 then tryed 120*83.

Thanx in adavnce, I really appreciate any help!!!

Hello,

after owning the psx version for about 12 years i've finally got the pc version.
The disc did not come in a box or with instructions so I don't know what version it is.
On the disc it says "the ultimate version of the best selling strategy game" and it's also dated 1996, so hopefully someone will know what version this is.

Anyway, the problem is when I turn my laptop on and click on the game or map editor they both work fine, but only once. Everytime I want to click on either of them again, nothing happens and I have to restart the laptop.

It looks like you've got the same as I have but am not sure. It looks like it's the original classic version (you can see it in game (IIRC: Menu->game options: on top stands the version of civ)). You might need to update it to 2.42 if it's classis and to 1.3if it's MGE. That might solve the problem (I hope). Which windows version you use? Vista, xp or an other one??

The largest custom map can be 10.000 squares with classic version (200*50, 100*100, etc.) IIRC MGE can have bigger maps but I don't know the max size.

It looks like you've got the same as I have but am not sure. It looks like it's the original classic version (you can see it in game (IIRC: Menu->game options: on top stands the version of civ)). You might need to update it to 2.42 if it's classis and to 1.3if it's MGE. That might solve the problem (I hope). Which windows version you use? Vista, xp or an other one??

The largest custom map can be 10.000 squares with classic version (200*50, 100*100, etc.) IIRC MGE can have bigger maps but I don't know the max size.

It says 1.02, so would this be the classic version? Do I need to update, if so how do I do that?

Thanx!!

I have a similar problem, it's to do with a file not closing properly under vista. If you have a look at task manager under processes you will see a file still running, it's wowexec.exe if you manually close this you'll be able to reopen civ2. The file does eventually close itself but it can take a long time.

The patched version does help, I think under the unpatched it doesn't even properly close the civ2.exe.

I have a similar problem, it's to do with a file not closing properly under vista. If you have a look at task manager under processes you will see a file still running, it's wowexec.exe if you manually close this you'll be able to reopen civ2. The file does eventually close itself but it can take a long time.

The patched version does help, I think under the unpatched it doesn't even properly close the civ2.exe.

Fantastic! Thats solved it!!! Many thanx!!!

What part of England are you from?

Fantastic! Thats solved it!!! Many thanx!!!

What part of England are you from?

Just over the peaks from you, Derbyshire :) Are you blues or reds (or neither?)

I used to play the PSX version for years before I got the PC one, the main difference in playing is trade, which is next to useless on the PSX version as you only get an arrow if both cities demand what the other is supplying. Although you could argue it makes the PC version too easy.

On map size, I think it's possible to play on a map of more than 10,000 in normal civ (about 12,000 from memory), but you can't create one more than 10,000 in the game menus. It has to be made elsewhere. One of the last deity +3 games (not ours the one before - I think) has a larger map than 10,000 that can be played in normal civ2.

Just over the peaks from you, Derbyshire :) Are you blues or reds (or neither?)

I used to play the PSX version for years before I got the PC one, the main difference in playing is trade, which is next to useless on the PSX version as you only get an arrow if both cities demand what the other is supplying. Although you could argue it makes the PC version too easy.

I'm a red, was a season ticket holder but I had to give it up this season.

Another difference between the 2 versions is the trade advisors role. In the pc version he actually is useful with the supply/demand option (this is not in the psx version).
I would argue that the pc version is easier, but the customisable options make it feel even more epic.

Top Bottom