Please help me and my girlfriend!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Rince, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Rince

Rince King

I just made a terrible mistake guys. I'm playing Civ3 at the moment because i can't stand to wait for Civ4.
    My girlfriend was never too happy when i played for 2 hours each evening while she was getting bored and usually went to sleep.

Then i had a seemingly great idea: What if i show her what the game is about so that she can understand why i'm playing so much.

It all began well, she looked over my shoulder and i explained her what i was doing and we played some turns together.

I should have realized then that this was already too much or at least next day when she said to me after dinner: "Let's go and conquer Babylon".

Naive as i am we started up the computer and had a good time with the poor babylonians.

Well, one thing let to another and i spoke out the momentous words:

"Would you like to try a game yourself?"

She didn't want first but i pushed her into it by starting a small map, Persians, least aggressive AI game. I had to help her for the first few descisions but then she said i should look away and let her play.

Ok, i had other things to do. Things i hadn't done because i was playing Civ 3 too much. Every five minutes i checked though to see if she still plays or not. One hour passed and she was still not fed up of it. She stared intensely at the science screen and murmured some words which i didn't understand. She was clearly not talking to me.

After 1.5 hours it was enough. It was half past eleven at night, i was tired and i wanted to play Civ 3 too! So i confronted her with these facts and she said, you know what, the famous words: "Just one more turn!"

Of course it was not just one turn because after the turn she got her first ship, which she wanted to try out, after the next turn she had to give build orders before saving. And after these orders she forgot that she wanted to quit because the next turn was so close already.

Finally seeing the clear signs of Civ addiction i realized my mistake. I reacted quickly and pulled my girlfriend away from the computer. I saved her game, turned off the computer and took care of my girlfriend.

It was a sleepless night for the two of us. I was tormented by the thought that i had exposed my girlfriend to the most addicting drug known to man. And she couldn't sleep because she couldn't decide whether to attack the russians before they get the cossack or do some more empire building before going to war.

Next day at the breakfast table i tried not to say the C-Word but she apparently couldn't think of anything else. She actually proposed to buy a second computer so we could play together and spend the time between games together too. I was shocked and reliefed at the same time. Shocked because she actually hates all electronic things like new computers etc, reliefed because she had apparently not lost her social skills yet.

My question to you: What shall i do? Should i accept the situation and spend the rest of my life having a great time with Civ multiplayer together with my girlfriend or should we both seek treatment?

Does Civanon offer couple therapies and if she refuses, can i send her in against her will?

Greetings,

Rince

2. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

heehee - my advice: Let her get the second computer, network them, and teach her multiplayer (co-operative multiplayer if you don't want too many arguments ;))

3. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Prince

Hahahaha, great read.

Thank you for telling about this. Looks like I'm at stage 1. I'm lucky to still be able to make the choice of explaining Civ to my girlfriend or not. Looks like i'll postpone it for a while, as you can never tell what it'll lead to.

With civ4 coming along, you can up the stakes. You can bet something like, if you lose the next game in MP, then i can play civ for 1 month. Of course you should mod the game in your favor beforehand. After 1 month you'll be much better at civ4, and can do it again.

Good luck

4. bman003

bman003 Federation President

I have a similar problem. My girlfriend's computer doesn't run as fast but she still wants to play it when it comes out. She actually admitted she is excited about it coming out too. She's awsome, just needs a machine of her own. Currently looking at fixing one of my old rigs and letting her play with that, since I think it may have just enough power. Although it sucks when she says "one more turn" it atleast makes me feel better that she will understand when I say it to her.

5. dannyevilcat

dannyevilcat DESTROYER OF FURNITURE

Oh man, haha! Civ vs. girlfriend posts never get old!

6. Gr3yL3gion

Gr3yL3gion Voice of Madness

Haha, that's funny. Thanks for sharing with us.

7. Willem

Willem Deity

It sounds like Civ 4 is going to be pretty good for multiplayer so it looks like the two of you might have alot of fun together with another computer. The question is though, are you going to be able to deal with it the first time she kicks your a** in a game? :D

8. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

You are a lucky guy to have your significant other enjoying your significant other game with you. :goodjob:

9. CustodianV131

CustodianV131 Prince

LOL

Great read!

Going to to try and pass on the virus with Civ4... who knows! Got two computers that can run it anyway so I'm covered :D

10. CyberChrist

CyberChrist You caught my attention

I used to date that girl myself.

I could only afford 1 PC at the time - so obviously she had to go ;)

11. Rince

Rince King

Yeah, that would be hard. I already hate loosing against the AI. I guess cooperative is the only way to prevent relationship crisis.

Rince

12. civchu

civchu Chieftain

dude..hate to say it......

civ 3/4 may be great

but there is not better feeling than giving ur gf a pounding in bed

have fun

chu

13. TerraHero

TerraHero Terranigma Guru

Lucky man you are, trust me, this ebats having to get arguements on playing lass civ. Now u keep the Girl and..sorta..keep Civ :rolleyes:

Guess its time to get a 2nd pc equiped with Civ then i recon and as many before me have stated. Play a lovely co-op game.

14. Darwin420

Darwin420 Darwin Plays Video Games

Well, I'd say you're a lucky, lucky man. My wife and I used to play Civ together, until our son was born, and she started losing interest in the game. Keep a hold of that girl, but remember that there are other things :)crazyeye:) besides Civ that you could be doing...

Oh, and if you really want to stop, CivAnon does do Couples Therapy, I'm sure. :D

15. AKauhanen

AKauhanen Civ3 graphics for Civ4

Yeah, but shared hobbies bring even more flavor to the relationship. None of my gfs have been interested in strategy games. I so wish I would finally meet a girl who likes strategy games and understands politics.

16. LostKing

LostKing Chieftain

Civ 4 will have hotseat, I think. So just play a co-op game with her in hotseat and you don't have to invest in a new machine. It'd be like the good old days of super mario brothers.

17. Undertaker798

Undertaker798 I studied on killin' you!

Lmao, i think i'm dead i laughed so much. Even though I'm only young (12) i think you should buy the second computer, put them in seperate rooms, play multiplayer and wage war against her!

P.S. Make sure the room your in is locked incase you wipe her civ off of the face of the earth! :lol:

18. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Get a second computer. You'll have a good MP partner (or maybe adversary).

19. Khan_Asparuh

Khan_Asparuh Just a Bulgarian Eddie

:worship: Thanks for the advertisement, I've already tried to explain some details, she doesn't look really interested but you know them you never know... Good Luck... I'll have to find some boring aspects in the game to show her... There must be some... ... ...

20. Rince

Rince King

For some reason my GF was very fond of ships and cows. Try those ;-)

Rince