Please help me choose one of these six Civs

I once spawned right next to King Solomon's mine as Spain -> you can't imagine the things you can do with +12 hammers from turn 1! Also, Tercios are really good if you can get them early. They make easy work of all the AI's mounted UUs and can also stand their ground on city assaults.
Conquistadors are just scouts really, but really good ones at that. I just wish they had more applicability to real combat.

Assyria: many consider the siege towers OP, but for me they are just the thing that can save you when your closest enemies have really bad, defensive terrain. Their UA is also nice in that it lets you play in unorthodox ways instead of always having to go 100% scientific, which is usually the case on higher difficulties.

England: Longbowmen are great, Ships of the Line are great, and twin spies are great. But you really do have to play offensively if you want to benefit from their bonuses. Spies help in that you can usually steal all the scientific and cultural techs, and just tech the military ones yourself. Oh, and the Ships of the Line really are great.

Carthage: Can make money pretty easily, and quinqremes can even take an early city. Elephants are fun but not super-strong. Crossing mountains can really, really help sometimes; more than you'd expect, actually. Even settlers can do this, hint, hint :) I only wish Carthage's automatic harbors would work with the 'Messenger of the Gods' pantheon. As it is, the science bonus only activates once you have actually researched compass (unless you have built road connections, of course, which don't really suit Carthaginians other than for military use).

Portugal: No money or happiness issues, ever. That's actually a really solid strength to them. With the money you can maintain a large fleet of ships too, so you will lose less cargo ships even if you play aggressively. You can buy all the important buildings if you run 100% money trade routes, or you can do mostly food routes as just one or two money ones can keep you in positive income.
And Naus are quite the exploring ships, and spamming them will actually help late game too, as they upgrade to ironclads and then destroyers.

Indonesia. I don't know why, but I don't find their abilities that compelling. I've yet to try them and I don't know if I actually will.

Of the above, Spain is still my favourite. They do require some restarting (cause they really need to have a natural wonder) but the fun is that you get to play differently, while their UUs are versatile too.

Of the above, Spain is still my favourite. They do require some restarting (cause they really need to have a natural wonder) but the fun is that you get to play differently, while their UUs are versatile too.

If you restarted other civs that much (i.e., only playing a game if you start next to a NW, or find one within X turns, whatever criteria you are currently using for Spain) you would have a better idea about what was making those games fun for you. I think it is the NW, not Spain so much. My more memorable games all include lucky NW exploits.

England. Difficulty is too low for Assyria, map is too large for Spain, reduced CS nerfs Portugal a bit. My strat would be to own the coastlines. Your speed bonus gives you more options whom to attack, which should help you diplomatically.

I disagree. It's not like you will have 25 different unique luxes for each city state.

I just recently played England for the first time, so I cheated and played on Archipelago (also for the first time). I also got the best starting map ever (8 gems in first two cities). It felt over powered and I enjoyed every turn. My only regret is playing on prince, I could have crushed it on Deity, alright Immortal.... Emperor for sure.

I saved the start if anyone is interested:
England
Archipelago
Prince
Everything else standard.

I'm not a very good player, most of you hot shots would probably be bored. It was fun for me to try out a new civ and a new map type. Now I'm spoiled and want that combo every game.

I only wish Carthage's automatic harbors would work with the 'Messenger of the Gods' pantheon. As it is, the science bonus only activates once you have actually researched compass (unless you have built road connections, of course, which don't really suit Carthaginians other than for military use).
I believe you need wheel for connecting cities, not compass (even as Carthage).

Sent from my One V using Tapatalk

If you restarted other civs that much (i.e., only playing a game if you start next to a NW, or find one within X turns, whatever criteria you are currently using for Spain) you would have a better idea about what was making those games fun for you. I think it is the NW, not Spain so much. My more memorable games all include lucky NW exploits.

I get your point, but with Spain, every Natural Wonder available is powerful. Otherwise, if you get Grand Mesa, Rock of Gibraltar, those will always be a bit underwhelming.
I feel that Spain really brings all those Natural Wonders alive and effectively help you overcome your deity handicaps & allow more strategic variation.
If playing other civs, NatWs are of course still good, but I find that the mediocre ones may be more a disadvantage than a boost, if there's any question whether or not that NW city location is perfect otherwise.

I believe you need wheel for connecting cities, not compass (even as Carthage).

Well, you do get the gold bonus from city connections once you tech optics, but if the above is true for Messenger of the Gods, then I have to reconsider my pantheon choices :/
Also, would this mean that you would still get the city connection (for the pantheon) without roads and only utilizing the harbors?
Oh, and I do think I got the pantheon running after compass on my last Carthage game, but I could remember wrong.. I guess wheel would have done it had I built road connections, which I didn't..

You need the Wheel to form a city connection by land or by sea. All Messenger of the Gods needs is a city connection. So, once Carthage researches the Wheel, its coastal cities automatically form city connections and get the MotG pantheon benefit.

Several of these are among my favorite civs. I've never gotten on the Spain wavelength, myself, so I can't really speak to them, but my worry would be that since you're overloading the map with civs, you're drastically hurting Spain's odds at hitting its UA for full benefit.

Anyway, Carthage is fantastic all around. The free harbors don't just help with early game money - they make Liberty very worthwhile and, combined with the q-remes, make it relatively simple to dominate the coast quickly so that you can press that advantage the entire game.

With Portugal, you're on your own to establish your early game, but once you reach mid-game you should basically be without problems anymore.TOns of money, tons of happiness, make the exploration track worthwhile, good stuff.

Assyria is super fun, and I hope you enjoy it if that's what you chose, but those warmonger penalties are no joke. You can easily find yourself in a snowballing military situation where you outrun your empire's capacity to maintain itself but you can't stop fighting because every one of your neighbors hates and fears you so much.

Indonesia is a blast, but not for your first time back. Try it a few games down the road and get creative with it.

As for spain and portugal.. Spain relies on natural wonders for gold and the unique units come around the same renaissance/medieval era.. There's no issue with the tercio except that it take a few more hammers to build..
Portugal has the mare clausum and the naus which can sell cargo once... I tried these out once and became world congress host by making so much gpt and buying off the CSs.

Top Bottom