Please insert the correct CD

Modifiable

Chieftain
Ok, I got the joke version that mislabels the play CD. No big deal, I just put in the other CD. Problem is, no matter which CD I insert, it still says I have the wrong CD. It installed fine and the disk I'm putting in comes up with the play, readme, exit menu but when it goes to load the game it claims I have the wrong CD in. Any ideas what to do? I already uninstalled and reinstalled it and that failed. What next?

I have the exact same problem.

You know what the funny part is? All my friends pirated the game, and it works fine. I pay for it, and I get screwed.

Can't "just go return it". I can go swap it out for differnt copy of the same game, but no returns on open software from where I purchased it.

I've had more than one (I returned it once already) do this...I've been able to trick my Disc 1 to work everyonce in a while by alternating with other CDs (like Disc 2 works fine), but where it worked has occured just *twice*, once for installation, and once last night where I played for eight hours as not to lose the CD's sweet spot, so to speak, but alas, it did not work when I tried a second time this morning and any of the dozens upon dozens since. (Of course I've updated firmware, shut off background programs through msconfig, and even gotten things like sd4hide, but with no luck.)

I think this is an XP and copyprotecting error. People should do a study to see how much money companies actually lose from piracy, I image people who steal the game, probably wouldn't bought the game anyway. Its probably much-to-ado about nothing concerding the technology costs *might* out-weigh the loss of sales. This is not the issue though, I just want my game to work consistently...any ideas?!

That's what he ment. Get a new package with new CDs, they probably don't only have broken ones. ;)

You mentioned XP and copy protection. I can get it to work on my desktop, but not the laptop. The laptop has SP2 installed whereas the desktop does not. Common theme? If you have this problem do you have WinXP SP2 installed?

It's probably a crappy CD/DVD drive. Or, the support site mentioned you should have the disc in the lowest-lettered drive on your computer. My first reaction to that was "Oh crap!" since my lowest-lettered drive is my DVD drive, which is semi-broken right now, but then I remembered you can reassign drive letters in XP. I just have to remember how...

Edit: Found it. To change a drive's letter: Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management (in the left frame), then in the bottom-right frame, find the drive, right click it, click Change Drive Letter and Paths, click the Change button, pick the new drive letter, then just hit OK (twice - once for each dialog), then close the Computer Management window.

I do think its combination of DVD player software, XP software, and Civ's copywrite protection software....

Top Bottom