Please join TeamCFC: Become a Superhero and help Cure Cancer!

When I downloaded the latest ATI drivers for my card I got a link to Folding @ home. Now I have joined TeamCFC!

Spoiler :

The program usually does screw with most games. What I used to do is just quit out of it before running a game and restart it once I was finished. You can still get a lot of folding done especially if you leave your computer on overnight.

I refuse to join, the program screws with moo2.

MOO2 is one of my favorite games too. Designing your own ships is awesome. If you are running any program that heavily uses your computer system just turn the F@H client off first.

That way you can help Stanford with their disease research and can still play MOO2 as well.

Welcome to the team Miles Teg and J-man. :)

@ Thorbal - Not that I am aware of.

I've heard of this before and it sounds interesting but how do I know it's not going to download a butt load of spyware on to my notebook?

If you're using the CPU client, just pause it ( if its the tray client) or kill it. When you're done playing, restart it.

Mad Man 2.0 -- because somehow I dont think Pande Group would have funding for very long from Stanford if they were distributing spyware.

They would also have to have everyone in this thread on the payroll if they did the spyware bit. I'm not sure of other users comp knowledge but I know for certain Igloo and myself would have found anything icky long ago.

Me as well. Folding@Home, as Miles Teg said, is funded by Stanford. Heads would roll if there was spyware. So if anyone ever said they got spyware from F@H, disregard them as idiots.

Yep, GB is getting the foldbeast. :goodjob: Hope the GX2 works better with your 9800GTs than it did with my 9600GSOs.

I'm now mulling over an i7 open-air system (that'll take at least three of the GSOs), with a mind to eventually putting it in a case and bringing it home (with only one of the GSOs at that point). A bit more expensive, but also usable for something besides folding in the long run. In the meantime, we'll see how quickly GB, Naskra, Izipo, AlanH, and schmiddi can overtake me. :)

Im hoping that since there isnt as big of discrepancy on shaders betweeen the 9800GX2 and GT ( 128 vs 112) the slowdown wont be as great. Either way, itll still be around 12kppd ( at least ) on top of what I already make, if not more.
In addition, ID, did you run an SMP on the cpu? I want to, but if the stock cooler cannot deal with that much heat, I might not.

Yeah, what everybody else said - no spyware bundled in with F@H, and anyone that claims otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about or has ulterior motives.

It can mess with game, but I just kill it while playing, and then launch it again afterwards.

Just for the record, ^ is what I'm referring to when I said "if you're doing it right".

Im hoping that since there isnt as big of discrepancy on shaders betweeen the 9800GX2 and GT ( 128 vs 112) the slowdown wont be as great. Either way, itll still be around 12kppd ( at least ) on top of what I already make, if not more.
In addition, ID, did you run an SMP on the cpu? I want to, but if the stock cooler cannot deal with that much heat, I might not.

Yep, I didn't OC the CPU, but I was running an SMP client on it and getting about 1K PPD out of it. Truthfully I didn't keep an eye on the temps for the CPU, but given that I was keeping the OC'ed 100% maxed back-to-back video cards at 60C or below with an AC unit blowing on the mobo, I was pretty sure that the CPU temps weren't too high. Hell, for the cooling I was doing, I probably could have left the CPU cooler off entirely. :lol: So I'd suggest giving it a shot.

Well, there is no way im going to be able to keep 60C temps on the GPU's, considering they're going to be confined to a case. Although, with a pair of 140mm fans, I can damned well try!

But yeah, ill see if I can get some OC out of the cpu, although ive never played around with an AMD chip. Always been an intel guy.
Now the only problem is how to keep tabs on the rig, ive got a spare mouse and the monitor has a second input, but I dont have a second keyboard...and unhooking this one is going to be a nightmare...

THIS PROGRAM IS NOT FREE IT COSTS $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ IN ELECTRICITY AND WEARING DOWN U COMPUTEr!

Well, there is no way im going to be able to keep 60C temps on the GPU's, considering they're going to be confined to a case. Although, with a pair of 140mm fans, I can damned well try!

But yeah, ill see if I can get some OC out of the cpu, although ive never played around with an AMD chip. Always been an intel guy.
Now the only problem is how to keep tabs on the rig, ive got a spare mouse and the monitor has a second input, but I dont have a second keyboard...and unhooking this one is going to be a nightmare...

I did it via installing VNC (freeware) as a service, once I got a bare-minimum level of WinXP installed on the rig, so I could connect to it remotely. Once it was spooled up, I didn't have anything but power and CAT5 cables connected to it. But you should be able to get an el cheapo keyboard for $5 somewhere, might be worth it to save you from the nightmare.

Top Bottom