1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Please join TeamCFC: Become a Superhero and help Cure Cancer!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Abaddon, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Naskra

Naskra Emperor

1) GPU = graphics processing unit. Insofar as heat damage is concerned, it's the capacitors that are more often the fail point. Worth noting is the fact that electronic parts usually fail in response to sudden temperature change. (A light bulb burns out when you switch it on, seldom while it's in use.
    2) depends,
    a) have you altered the default setting of [idle] in the config to some other value?
    b) do you have a multicore processor? The standard windows client will use only one core.

2. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

81C is fine for a GPU. Dont run it over 95C though.
    Mine is currently running at 93C, if it hits 95C I have rivatuner set to turn off F@H.

civ_king:
    1 -- GPU is a Graphics Processing Unit, a shorter way of saying a graphics card, although technically it refers only to the core of the graphics card, the actual processor.
    2 -- yes, as long as you have your clients set up correctly, it will use up all the computing power it can get.

I have no idea what happened to Sakhunder or AlanH, but IglooDude sold me his folding rig which Is why im hovering around 25k ppd. (albeit a little lower now, its too hot to fold on my cpu)

3. JerichoHill

JerichoHill Bedrock of Knowledge

Abaddon,

When my new computer comes in, I will join up

July 10th

4. Genocidicbunny

What kind of hardware?

5. Izipo

Izipo Hardcore casual gamer

:lol: Ah ok, this explains that.

In other news, we're having a heat wave right now, so I'll probably shut down my comp for a while. Especially since I think it's been running 24/7 for the past 3 months. That can't be healthy, right ?

6. JerichoHill

Much better than my current POS! It's got a P4 and 1 GeForce 7 Series. Ugh.

My new computer is a Dell XPS M1730, with Intel Dual Core 9500 Processors, 8GB DDR2, Dual NVidia 8900 GeForce, Ageia Physix Accelerator

7. Genocidicbunny

Wait, a laptop? Then its a bad idea to run folding on it. Its not made to handle that kind of heat.

8. JerichoHill

Bunny,

The laptop is a top-of-the-line gaming rig, meant to handle games like fallout 3 at high-res settings. It has a liquid cooling system and a dual fans to boot.

I'd guess it would work, right?

9. Genocidicbunny

Possibly, but Folding at Home stresses your hardware thermally like almost nothing else can. Games dont even compare to the stress your hardware will undergo.

Folding at home on the GPU uses the shaders, and it doesnt take pauses like games do ( even microseconds help). The SMP client will also stress both cores to 100% for hours on end, even days if you let it.

Now, I have never seen a liquid cooling system for a laptop...Unless whoever sold it to you meant heatpipes, which are *technically* liquid cooling.

You can always try it, im just saying, its probably gonna run mighty hot and to boot it wont be overly productive.

10. Genocidicbunny

Yay, millionare club for me!

Im catching up fezzic :evil:

11. Genocidicbunny

Make sure that if you're running the SMP client that you update to 6.24. version 6.23 recently expired ( couple hours ago) and as soon as your next WU finishes, the client will cease to work.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther
    Scroll down to the drop in binary.

In other news, the old client expiring made the foldbeast unstable and it crashed. Surprisingly, the cards make almost the same amount of noise when idle compared to 100%, so I didnt notice it for almost a day.

12. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

@JH: Can't hurt to give it a shot, it sounds like you might get up to 1K points per day out of the CPU (SMP client) and another thousand or two out of the video card (GPU client(s). Just keep an eye on the temps. :)

SMP client? I'm not seeing any notice like that for either one (on the F@H forums), and my SMP client picked up a new WU about seven hours ago.

And congrats on your first million!!! :goodjob:

13. fezzic181

fezzic181 Chieftain

In a laptop you'll also want to make sure you can access the SMART info from the HD to make sure its not over temping. I did some folding on an old dell lappy and the cpu temps were just fine but its close proximity to the HD killed the drive.

14. Genocidicbunny

Weird, mine refused to start ( the console would pop up and disappear )

Thanks too!

My desktop isnt going to be folding for a few days as im too lazy to get the clients running and set up ( just installed windows 7 and im at work till ungodly hours )

15. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

He could just tell F@H to run at 80% or something. It doesn't have to fun flat out...

16. Genocidicbunny

True, but even still, thats a lot of heat constantly.

There were some rumblings of cooler running cores coming, although those were for the GPU. Basically, they would take tiny pauses every once in a while to give the GPU some time to cool down. In fact, intel is developing the same tech, albeit on a hardware level.

17. Genocidicbunny

Weird problem popped up tonight. I was trying to run a SMP VM on the Foldbeast, and that part went quite well, it was up, it was making 2000ppd ( compared to 1000 from the SMP client alone) but the GPU's tanked in ppd. Went from 4500 per core on the GX2's to 1500, the GT's dropped to 800.

Any ideas as to why? When I last tried the VM on this machine it ran fine alongside the GPU client, but then again, this machine has a lot more RAM and cpu cores than the other one, and less GPU clients. Im inclined to think its an IO bottleneck somewhere.

18. Genocidicbunny

Well, as long as my heatsink can keep up with the heat, ill run the SMP client:

Since it hasnt completed a single frame yet, no ppd, but its going to be around 2000. I may scale the cpu usage to 70% to keep heat in check which would be around 1400ppd, still decent.
    So close to breaking that 30k.

Oh yeah, extending desktop to invisible monitor is rather annoying sometimes.

19. fezzic181

fezzic181 Chieftain

Bah out of town and my desktop seems to have crashed or the power went out ><

20. Izipo

Izipo Hardcore casual gamer

It reminds me of something... :mischief:
    You sure you left your router on ?