Please join TeamCFC: Become a Superhero and help Cure Cancer!

Aiken_Drumn

Deity
Supporter
:folding:

Ever wonder why CFC has that "smiley" ?

It is because there is a collective team of over 200 CFC members helping to fight Parkinson's, Cancer and Alzheimer's. It began back in 2005 a Folding@Home Team was started here at CFC.

You have probably heard of the concept: A tiny program, running in the background, crunching numbers for medical research. Collectively we do what a zillion dollar computer could. Therefore diverting funds back where it should be spent- on the research, not the equipment. You do not need a powerful PC, The program carefully monitors how much processing power is available, it throttles back as other programs run.

------------------------------------

To contribute to the statistics for TeamCFC, put the number 47958 in the team field

------------------------------------
Folding@Home Website said:
Our goal: to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery. Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.You can help by simply running a piece of software. Folding@Home is a distributed computing project -- people from through out the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer makes the project closer to our goals. Folding@Home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems thousands to millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.

CURRENT PROJECTS:
Alzheimer's Disease, Cancer, Huntington's Disease, Osteogenesis Imperfecta, Parkinson's Disease, Ribosome & antibiotics

Join up today, and I will send you digital-kudos-cookies!

Last edited:
:folding:

Drat, smileys don't work in titles any more.

I'm pretty bummed about it too.

How'd that folding thing turn out, by the way? Did we cure cancer or no?

I'm pretty bummed about it too.

How'd that folding thing turn out, by the way? Did we cure cancer or no?

WOW!! I totally forgot what folding was.. I thought this symbol was one I just liked for my threads standing out.

I think some major strides were made. I might edit this thread into a Folding Thread and revive it. Do you fancy folding again?

@Naskra You were going absolute gang-busters until a few months ago.. what happened?

Seasonal shutdown. 7m pts/day puts out a lot of heat.

Ah entirely understandable. Your prodigal output is commendable as the seasons allow!

Edit: I was very optimistic about this. I see the various people involved are still publishing. I think Alphabet has really taken over a lot of the space that was being contributed to.

Last edited:
I only tend to run Folding@home on low when I'm not doing anything on my computer that demands the CPU. My current computer is old so I probably shouldn't run it so much.

It is hilarious how our old crappy computers compare to my.. modern crappy computer! :lol: Racing up the leaderboard.

1662629431920.png

mulls firing something up to defend my 4th place and maybe challenge @AlanH ...

Doo eeet!

Just spooled up the client on a workstation. No way I'm letting the fans whine like that in my office for the next 22hrs. I'll set up something in the basement soonish.

Can you point to the latest client download?

Top Bottom