1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Please, Loki, stop it !

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Baron Von Noob, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Baron Von Noob

Baron Von Noob Chieftain

Well, the Balseraphs managed to corrupt me :

Playing as Ethne the White, I compromised my Defensive Pacts with my Good neighbors and started a war with the Balseraphs that I really wasn't sure to win, just because I was so SICK of Loki's constant puppet summoning in my lands !

Though "Annoying the hell out of the human player" does feel like quite a good AI strategy for the Balseraphs, could we get rid of the puppet sounds in a patch ? Or come up with a mod-mod including a "Hall of Silence" wonder, that just turns off the more annoying sound effects in the game ? :)

2. TheJopa

TheJopa Šumar

Probably a bug, as I often hear AI casting spring, enchantments etc etc.

3. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

I killed Loki with Alazkan the Assassin (with HN) when he was in one of my city ... (I killed him, even he has space to runaway)

4. Skitters

Skitters Prince

I think it's correct that Loki can be killed if in a city

It gives an additional use for captured beasts and the Stooges to help police your borders without causing war

5. Baron Von Noob

Baron Von Noob Chieftain

In my game, Loki was just running around the countryside (inside my borders), spawning a rather noisy puppet each turn.

Once I thought I could trap him, since I was playing on an Erebus map which was just full of peaks, but apparently he has the ability to cross mountains too, when attacked.

6. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

It sounds like a bug for me.

7. Blackmantle

Blackmantle King

Nope its not a bug but a more or less well known feature (he should be unkillable outside of cities.). The Pedia is wrong. As so often... Cornering won't help.

But indeed. Whenever Loki is near and i hear "HERE I AaamM!" i think to myself: Where is the red button of Balseraph muting and incineration. It seriously needs to be toned down in volume.

8. BCalchet

BCalchet Human, all too human.

1. Find file: [Beyond the Sword Install Location]\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2 033\Assets\sounds\Spells\Create Puppet.wav

2. Replace it with a less annoying sound effect - a copy of Burningblood.wav, found in the same folder, works well.

3. Ears saved.

9. Keeper_GFA

Keeper_GFA Prince

I have twice had Loki completely surrounded by units and he retreated, through my ring of troops, to an unoccupied space two tiles away. (33b)
    The only place to corner him seems to be inside a city.

10. Pyr0mancer

Pyr0mancer Prince

It's actually possible to kill him outside of cities if you have enough First Strikes on your HN units. Surrounding him is bad, since it means he'll retreat further. Giant Spiders are the first HN unit with first strikes, though they take forever since they've only got 0-1. CoE recon or nightwatch with Drill promotions work better.

11. Ksi

Ksi Warlord

I played Elohim first and capture the Bally lands. The next 30 minutes I kept hearing that puppet sound after I ended my turn which was annoying me greatly until I found out what it was.

12. countjackula

countjackula Chieftain

Thanks BCalchet for listing where the sound file was. Made it easy to replace. I just added the tag "_old" onto the original in case I ever decide to revert (can't see that happening), and renamed a copy of Breathe Fire to Create Puppet. Much easier on my ears and nerves, and as a side effect the Balseraphs no longer have to die first. :D

13. Zechnophobe

Zechnophobe Strategy Lich

I can't play the Belseraphs anymore. And not because of the sound set. I'm just tired of the amount of micro management loki requires to get the best use out of him. For instance, Keelyn can use him to Entertain, and Inspire up to three cities, but it requires constant creation and movement of him and puppets and what not. If I don't do it, I lose out a fairly noticeable amount of early game power. Doing it though, stretches the time required to do those first 100 turns to amazing ends.