1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Please Nintendo!!

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by tombeef, Mar 22, 2006.

1. tombeef

tombeef King

Well, I've been thinking about my ideas here for a year or so and I finally decided to get them down on paper.

Let's face it, the Gamecube has sucked sale wise in the U.S. While it had some great games, it's overall selection is a little bit lacking. It's sales rates are similar to that of the Xbox in Japan (ok, maybe not that low).

But one thing has remained constant. Nintendo's domination of the handheld market. Even with competition from the PSP, the DS continues to do better, because of better games.

I own a DS myself. However, I don't play it much. When I am at home I would rather play a console or computer game, or read a good book. There just isn't much insentive to play on a smaller screen with more limited graphics and memory. I play it occasionly when I travel, but I would rather read or watch a movie on my laptop.

So what's the point of this thread? My idea's for two games that would cause a lot of people to look at the DS as a great home system, not just a travel system.

Game one, and one that I would give an arm for (well, maybe not quite that much), is Super Smash Bros. Let's face it, the one for Gamecube is one of the best multiplayer and/or fighting games ever. Think about it for the DS. The top screen could show a zoomed out fixed shot of the entire playing field. This would do two things. Get rid of the annoying "bug" in previous SSB games that allowed the AI to know where items were even when they were off the screen, often allowing the AI to get to them before you even know they were there. This would also allow you to see the entire battle field, like in SSB when you are doing multiplayer.

The bottom screen could be a zoomed in, moving shot of your character, so you can see exactly where he is and make it easier to fight. With these two screens battle could be seen and played in.

Lastly, and possibly even cooler, would be WiFi. Endless tournaments of SSB smackdown. I can see myself playing that all night.

My second game is Civilization. Sid Meier has shown interest in the DS and called it "intruiging" so a game might not be too far out. The top screen could be used as a menu of some kind, and the bottom screen the gameplay menu, they stylus is pperfect for the mouse.

Again though, think of WiFi. A civ game with internet play that actually works. Hooray! You could go "one more turn" in multiplayer all night long. The only issue is games are long. Still, this would be sweet. Maybe a CIV II with updated graphics?

Sorry for the long post, but I decided on something a little more enjoyable then the usual "war" "politics" and other threads that have dominated the off-topic forum.

Cheers

2. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Nintendo is dead to me! I lost faith long ago... But with their new attitude in the market and the unvieling of the god awful control of the revolution i dont like them anymore.

3. bad_ronald

bad_ronald All Knowing

I've never owned a handheld, but if a decent version of Civ 3 with MP could work with the systems specs, I would consider purchasing one.

As a heads-up, this thread will be probably be moved to All Other Games.

4. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

I know most people have probably seen the controller. It was unvieled awhile ago but for those who havent seen it, look at it and laugh your ass off!

Heres a pic

Attached Files:

5. Narz

Narz keeping it real

The original NES was the best system of all time. It's all been downhill since then. Who the hell needs eight or ten button controlers?

6. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

I disagree. The N64 controller IMO was the best and most well rounded controller ever made. I was very good at playing FPS on N64 and just couldnt get the hand of it on anything after that.

7. tombeef

tombeef King

The original Nintendo was the most important system of all time. In terms of sales, the PS2 is the best selling ever.

8. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

You have to give nintendo credit in the 80s.. If it wasnt for their ingenious marketing and sales of the NES we might not have video games today as we know it. The early 80s was the dark age of video games when the industry was doing very badly and it was almost wiped out.

9. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

I heard Spore is being made for the PSP. I thought it would be better if made for the DS because of the stylus, but I got told that "the PSP has the better audience", "it has far better hardware for the game" and "the DS is for babies".

10. tombeef

tombeef King

The DS has much better sales then the PSP.

11. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

I think the PSP has outsold the DS over here.

12. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

I really doubt that. You know why?

First off very few adults play hand held consoles. Hell even not that many teenagers do. And to top it off PSP is not marketed towards kids really.

The nintendo DS is alot cheaper and is kid friendly. That makes sense since handhelds arent very popular with adults and parents dont want to buy thier kids anything as expensive as the PSP.

13. tombeef

tombeef King

worldwide, the DS is much better. I'm not sure about England. In the U.S. and Japan, which are the two biggest video game markets, the DS is a bigger seller. Personally I like the DS a little more, but I am a little dissapointed in the gamecube. Heck, video games have made more money then movies here in the U.S. the past 3-4 years in a row.

And are there any comments on my ideas? Good or bad? Please?

14. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

I thought it would because it has Grand Theft Auto on it.

15. The 777 Hoax

The 777 Hoax future skeleton

N64 is the best Nintendo product, and Super Smash Brothers is the best game for that product. I have a GBA, but not a DS.

16. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I liked N64 somewhat. Super Mario Kart was my fave (it got boring fast at single player though).

17. Yuri2356

Yuri2356 Test Screening

Just what do you have against this controler? Do you realize how nice it would be to play an FPS with that thing? Just point at targets onscreen, and there's a trigger button placed right where it's needed. The Joystick easily slips into the left hand, and you've got yourself a very ergonomic device. And, if that doens't satisfy you, there is an attachment that's more or less identical to a 'Cube Controler.

18. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

*Firstly the PSP has absolutly trounced DS sales, by a long long way.

*Secondly, there IS a "normal" controller for the Revolution aswell

*Thirdly the DS is designed for "on-the-go" designing games that are more suited to the home environment is crossing product boundarys, therefore reducing what they can sell to us, therefore not going to happen

19. tombeef

tombeef King

I agree. The controller will be great for a FPS or RTS, or RPG. But the shells will definately be needed for adventure, sports games (although Madden would be sweet if you could "aim" to throw a pass, maybe they shouldn't use a shell).

Any comments on my SSB, CIV, and Madden ideas?

20. tombeef

tombeef King

The DS completely beats the PSP in sales. Just search "DS vs. PSP sales" on Google, tons of sites come up showing higher DS sales. In Japan, the U.S., the U.K, and Eurpoe, the DS is selling better. A little research will show you that. Ds has sold about 6 million world wide, PSP has sold about 1.6 million worldwide. You're right, it's not close, you just have it reversed.

Your second point is true, there will be "skins" to make the revolution controller more "normal."