1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Please Read - Theory of War Survey

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Micaelis Rex, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Micaelis Rex

Micaelis Rex Prince

I am writing a paper on the theory of war, and would really appreciate your help. All you have to do is answer the four questions below. To participate, just reply to this post with your answer to each of these four questions.

1.) What country do you live in?

2.) Which of the following positions most closely echos your own belief about when war should be waged?
    • Position A I believe that the most important reason for a country to consider in deciding whether or not to go to war should be whether or not the war will provide a net benefit to their own citizens.
    • Position B I believe that the most important reason for a country to consider in deciding whether or not to go to war should be whether the war is morally justifyable or not.
    • Position C I believe that since it is never morally right for a country to go to war, countries never should go to war.
    3.) Overall, do you believe that the reasons that the US government gave for fighting its War on Terror were sufficient enough causes to go to war?

4.) Overall, do you believe that the execution of the War on Terror has reflected the reasons that the US Government gave for fighting it?

Thank you very much for participating in my survey!
    Micaelis Rex

2. Taliesin

Taliesin Puttin' on the Ritz

Canada, B, No, No.

3. A'AbarachAmadan

A'AbarachAmadan Deity

1) I'm an American currently living in Japan.
    2) B. I think C is naive and immoral (in the same sense that watching a crime and doing nothing is immoral); A is immoral to an extreme (harming others for your own benefit - always wrong).
    3) Yes. (Not media hype, actual Congression Resolutions.)
    4) In general, yes. I believe the underlying reasons are legitimate, however, I believe some of the execution is wrong. For example, just the impression of torture is damaging to the cause of freedom and what America should stand for; also, the execution of the rebuild portion of the Iraq War have been done poorly.

4. Micaelis Rex

Micaelis Rex Prince

I've slightly modified the original post to make the distinction between the choices on question #2 more clear. It shouldn't affect any of your answers, but feel free to change them if you feel it does.

5. pboily

pboily fingerlickinmathematickin

Canada, B, No, Yes

6. kurdi

kurdi Chieftain

I am an Arab living in America. I want to take part in your survey but I found the survey options too limited... The only viable/reasonable option is Choice (b)... I don't think ANYBODY could disagree with that statement in its current wording, but it is too vague and undefined. What does it mean to say "morally right" (?)...

How about: "when going to war is the lesser evil than the alternative", which would then make going to war not a choice but a necessity... That's when I would enlist. But then that too is vague and open to different interpretations I suppose.

Be that as it may, my answers are as follows:
    Jordanian living in Seattle, B, No, No.

7. storealex

storealex In service of peace

Danish
    B
    Yes
    No

8. Micaelis Rex

Micaelis Rex Prince

There is no universally agreed upon definition for what makes a war justifyable, so I left that up to you. The most generally accepted definition is Just War Theory; however, I don't presume to state that Just War Theory correctly defines the circumstances necessary to justify war.

9. Evil Tyrant

Evil Tyrant Eccentric Dictator

1. American
    2. Option A
    3. yes
    4. yes

10. slip79

slip79 Princess

New Zealand, B, No, No

11. MjM

MjM Deity

12. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

I'm a French living in the US.

2.) Position C

Overall, do you believe that the reasons that the US government gave for fighting its War on Terror were sufficient enough causes to go to war?

The reasons given would have been sufficient if true.

4.) Overall, do you believe that the execution of the War on Terror has reflected the reasons that the US Government gave for fighting it?

No.

Thank you very much for participating in my survey!

You're welcome :)

13. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

US
    B
    Yes, but they are abusing their reasons
    No

14. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

United States
    B
    Yes
    No

15. jameson

jameson Emperor

1) The Netherlands

2) B

3) This is a fudge: do you mean the war in Iraq or the War on Terror ?
    Despite claims to the contrary, the invasion of Iraq had precious little to do with the war on terror ( WMD-related programme activities, anyone ?)
    If Iraq, No, if WoT, Yes.

4) in either case, No.

16. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

New Zealand

2.) Which of the following positions most closely echos your own belief about when war should be waged?

* Position A I believe that the most important reason for a country to consider in deciding whether or not to go to war should be whether or not the war will provide a net benefit to their own citizens.
    * Position B I believe that the most important reason for a country to consider in deciding whether or not to go to war should be whether the war is morally justifyable or not.
    * Position C I believe that since it is never morally right for a country to go to war, countries never should go to war.

Position A, The goverment should do anything that brings a net benefit. but this requires all citizens to have their say, either threw a Referendum or a fair elected parliament.

3.) Overall, do you believe that the reasons that the US government gave for fighting its War on Terror were sufficient enough causes to go to war?

Yes, terrorist attacked america. But this is the war on terror not the Iraq War.

No, they have sent a huge amount of assets in a agressive war against Iraq when they should be fighting the terrorists.

17. stormbind

stormbind Retenta personam!

England, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Position B.

The War on Terror was not a declaration of war against any entity, and thus not a war that I recognise. Instead, it is a vague policy designed to make any future war easier to promote.

The wars carried out under the policy of fighting terror do not reflect the reasons given for adopting that policy.

18. marshal zhukov

marshal zhukov good economist wannabe

A country in this Century should only go to war when attacked or when a UN resolution allows you to do so.

So I don't think the questions about the POSITIONS matter at all.

19. Alphawolf

Alphawolf Basileus, Founding Father

1. USA
    2. I don't like the wording; I think the people of the country that's getting invaded should get something too. Between A and B.
    3. War on Terror, yes; Afghanistan, yes; Iraq, no.
    4. No.

-the Wolf

20. RedFusion

RedFusion tOSU 37 scUM 7

1. United States
    2. Position A, morally justified wars are found aplenty, economic ones are a much rarer occurrence nowadays.
    3. 3,000 murdered and you are asking if it's sufficient????
    4. If one includes the Iraq War as apart of the War on Terror then no.