Please Recommend an Ancient Era Game

VinceV

Chieftain
Hi, all. I'd like to play a good ancient-era game, probably in the Mediterranean, Mesopotamian region. I want to have the 'usuals' there: Persia, Egypt, Rome, Greece, Hittites? and whoever. I guess there needs to be a limited tech tree, because I'd like it if the techs stayed classical-ish, maybe with some medieval things, like theatres and catapults. So I"d like to start ancient, advance a little, but essentially stay in the ancient world.

I"ve been browsing through the Creation and Customization forum, and sometimes I'm not sure about the Mod/Scenario difference. Some of them seem to start in the ancient era, but then just evolve into a normal Space Race, 20th century kind of game? Some of the mods look good, but the thread hasn't been visited for years, so I am a little wary, with 3.19 compatibility and all.

Any recommendations/expertise here?

Thanks.

Warlords had a couple of good ancient era scenarios: Alexander's Conquests and Rise of Rome. IIRC, neither of them allowed civs to evolve their techs out of the ancient era.

All right, I'm trying and liking TAM! But I have a couple questions, in case you or anyone revisits this thread:

1) How do you spread religion around? (I don't see missionaries as part of the game)
2) I'm playing Rome, and no one likes me, so I can't land my merchant vessels for trade missions in their cities. Are the other nations hard-coded to hate Rome?

1) I'm not sure: either religions spread automatically or (more likely) you need specific buildings to build missionaries (check the Civpedia!)

2) Probably. (Probably you are also supposed to conquer by conquest, not trade.)

BTW, TAM has a subforum, I think (it should be linked via the download page). ;)

Top Bottom