PLEASE recommend me map type to play

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Subotai777, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Subotai777

Subotai777 Warlord

I was playing Giant Earth Map from Gedemon a LOT and now I want to try something else.PLEASE recommend me map type which is most fun to play.Thanks in advance

2. Chris3894

Chris3894 Warlord

Shuffle you never know what type of map you're going to get. Keeps it interesting each game

3. civmaster17

civmaster17 Chieftain

Ya shuffle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Teproc

Teproc King

If you have Scrambled Continents, Small Continents Plus is awesome with every civ. Otherwise, Fractal is my favorite, though I generally use random.org to know which map i'll play.

5. Soltan Gris

Soltan Gris Chieftain

Shuffle. It can generate some really strange landmasses. Also, if it rolls you sparse resources, it can make things a little more challenging.

6. Sharples

Sharples Prince

Actually sometimes Small Continents plus scripts the map to be a Pangea, it's actually quite common in my games despite the map name being Small Continents.

7. dasaard200

dasaard200 Prince

A new mod, an ALPHA, by [MAGOG]Kruelgor ;" CivRome"now in Workshop, is what I've been hooked on since mid-July . Quite interesting and addictive !!

8. civmaster17

civmaster17 Chieftain

Do Europe and set all civs to Europe teams like Germany France Dutch Russia England Rome Austria Venice Spain Portugal Huns Poland Sweden Denmark celts ottomans then you'll have the right civs with right mso

9. civmaster17

civmaster17 Chieftain

Map not mso

10. Lord Alexander

Lord Alexander Warlord

The Canada map type is actually pretty fun. Great if you're the Iroqouis for the forests. Oval is great as well and I kinda enjoy Antarctica thawed.

11. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

Best enjoyed with the Canada, Dene, Inuit, Blackfoot, and Sioux mods.

12. DarkestOnion

DarkestOnion Prince

Well this really depends on what you find 'fun' in a map exactly.

For me it is usually Continents in order to enjoy some Naval Options/Sea Trade/New Continents to Discover.

13. Aquaplex

Aquaplex Chieftain

Fractal is the most fun for me personally. Worst is archipelago.

14. Bingles

Bingles Chieftain

Yeah, Archipelago is awful. Small continents is Archipelago with enough room to grow before Optics and usually enough shallow water connecting everything to explore the whole world before renaissance.

Also, Shuffle is amazing. I hate 50% of the maps it gives, but not knowing helps rekindle those feelings of nervous excitement from when you first started playing the game. What is out there, beyond our borders?

15. GoStu

GoStu King

I've been playing Oval almost exclusively. While it might be the most boring sounding map ever, it's really a pretty neat variant on a Pangaea.

You get a single continent, about twice as wide as it is high. The smooth oval shape is broken up by shallow-water bays that cut up to a third of the way into the continent. Inland seas sometimes replace a bay, or a large lake. Players get distributed roughly around the outside.

It's got all the advantages of a Pangaea, but naval units and techs are still relevant as a lot of cities end up near the bays. I might do up a thread with some pictures to show all the things I like about it.

16. DarkestOnion

DarkestOnion Prince

In contrast, I have enjoyed Archipelago Maps. there is no need to worry about/prepare for an early DoW as it would have to be a Naval Fight, and choke points are easy to arrange by Settling Strategically on most Archipelago Maps. You can build a Strong Navy of Triremes and Galleasses/Frigates and Privateers and sign Pirate Songs as you take out AI's at your leisure on any Difficulty Level.

17. glider1

glider1 Deity

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that one before. Do naval civs sometimes attack across the ocean gap, so that if they are founded on the east of the oval, they go attack a civ on the far west of the oval by crossing the ocean?

18. GoStu

GoStu King

Yes, last game I played the Dutch wrapped around and settled both ends of the oval. Pissed off the Zulus living on that end though, and that city didn't last long, but William defended with Sea Beggars and held.

19. Ryoga

Ryoga King

I personally like Continents a lot. I like the idea of having two sides of the world that grow up completely separated from each other until "Navigation". It makes the "exploration" factor something to enjoy and look forward to in mid game and not just the beginning.

20. techgiz1

techgiz1 Chieftain

Try Communitas map with sparse resources setting. You will have to download the map script as it is not part of the base game.