Please remove suggestions from search bar

Hygro

soundcloud.com/hygro/
autocomplete="off"

The suggestions/memory of past searches in the search bar obscures the options for the search. You can hit "esc" but we could be better than that.

Would be nice if we could search shorter terms by user as well. I was searching a rare 3 letter word by a certain user, it popped up all of their recent posts. None had that word.

Thanks!

I'm afraid I don't see any options to modify this behaviour (see attachment).

You can delete items from your search history though. Hovering over suggested items should make a trash bin appear on the right site, where you can delete it from your history.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    87.4 KB · Views: 31
I don't know how this website does its html/js etc. But autocomplete="off" would be something to put in a basic html input tag for a search bar.

I can see the point of not allowing search terms like "the" and "and". Those are so common that you'd get an insane number of hits.

But it's nigh-on impossible to do a search for the old "Ask" threads unless you know any other keywords in the title that are more unusual.

Another question: Is it possible to find an old thread whose OP is currently permabanned?

Is that an issue in the search?

I don't know how this website does its html/js etc. But autocomplete="off" would be something to put in a basic html input tag for a search bar.

I thought I found it.
Then I checked the change, and it had turned out that I removed the search box :blush:, so I reverted it.

The whole search form is currently defined by this:
Spoiler :

Code:
<xen:title>{xen:phrase search}</xen:title>

<xen:navigation>
   <xen:breadcrumb href="{xen:link full:search}">{xen:phrase search}</xen:breadcrumb>
</xen:navigation>

<form action="{xen:link 'search/search'}" method="post" class="xenForm AutoValidator"
   data-optInOut="optIn"
   data-redirect="true">

<xen:include template="search_form_tabs" />

<dl class="ctrlUnit">
       <dt><label for="ctrl_keywords">{xen:phrase keywords}:</label></dt>
       <dd>
           <ul>
               <li><input type="search" name="keywords" value="{$search.keywords}" class="textCtrl" id="ctrl_keywords" autofocus="true" /></li>
               <li><label for="ctrl_title_only"><input type="checkbox" name="title_only" id="ctrl_title_only" value="1"{xen:checked '{$search.title_only}'} /> {xen:phrase search_titles_only}</label></li>
           </ul>
       </dd>
   </dl>

<dl class="ctrlUnit">
       <dt><label for="ctrl_users">{xen:phrase posted_by_member}:</label></dt>
       <dd>
           <input type="text" name="users" value="{$search.users}" class="textCtrl AutoComplete" id="ctrl_users" />
           <p class="explain">{xen:phrase separate_names_with_comma}</p>
       </dd>
   </dl>

<dl class="ctrlUnit">
       <dt><label for="ctrl_date">{xen:phrase newer_than}:</label></dt>
       <dd>
           <input type="date" name="date" value="{$search.date}" class="textCtrl" id="ctrl_date" />
       </dd>
   </dl>

<xen:if is="{$nodes}">
       <dl class="ctrlUnit">
           <dt><label for="ctrl_nodes">{xen:phrase search_in_forums}:</label></dt>
           <dd>
               <ul>
                   <li><select name="nodes[]" id="ctrl_nodes" size="7" multiple="multiple" class="textCtrl">
                       <option value=""{xen:selected '!{$search.nodes}'}>{xen:phrase all_forums}</option>
                       <xen:foreach loop="$nodes" value="$node">
                           <option value="{$node.node_id}"{xen:selected '{$search.nodes.{$node.node_id}}'}>{xen:string repeat, '&nbsp; &nbsp; ', $node.depth}{$node.title}</option>
                       </xen:foreach>
                   </select></li>
                   <li><label for="ctrl_child_nodes"><input type="checkbox" name="child_nodes" id="ctrl_child_nodes" value="1"{xen:checked '{$search.child_nodes}'} /> {xen:phrase search_child_forums_as_well}</label></li>
               </ul>
           </dd>
       </dl>
   </xen:if>

<xen:if is="{$supportsRelevance}">
       <dl class="ctrlUnit">
           <dt><label>{xen:phrase order_by}:</label></dt>
           <dd>
               <ul>
                   <li><label for="ctrl_order_date"><input type="radio" name="order" id="ctrl_order_date" value="date" {xen:checked '{$search.order} == "date"'} /> {xen:phrase most_recent}</label></li>
                   <li><label for="ctrl_order_relevance"><input type="radio" name="order" id="ctrl_order_relevance" value="relevance" {xen:checked '{$search.order} == "relevance"'} /> {xen:phrase relevance}</label></li>
               </ul>
           </dd>
       </dl>
   <xen:else />
       <input type="hidden" name="order" value="date" />
   </xen:if>

<dl class="ctrlUnit submitUnit">
       <dt></dt>
       <dd><input type="submit" value="{xen:phrase search}" accesskey="s" class="button primary" /></dd>
   </dl>

<input type="hidden" name="_xfToken" value="{$visitor.csrf_token_page}" />
</form>

They keyword search itself is this part:
Spoiler :
Code:
   <dl class="ctrlUnit">
       <dt><label for="ctrl_keywords">{xen:phrase keywords}:</label></dt>
       <dd>
           <ul>
               <li><input type="search" name="keywords" value="{$search.keywords}" class="textCtrl" id="ctrl_keywords" autofocus="true" /></li>
               <li><label for="ctrl_title_only"><input type="checkbox" name="title_only" id="ctrl_title_only" value="1"{xen:checked '{$search.title_only}'} /> {xen:phrase search_titles_only}</label></li>
           </ul>
       </dd>
   </dl>

So I don't really see an option to turn this on/off :think:.

Is that an issue in the search?
Not sure if you're asking me this, but I'm just curious. Sometimes I might like to re-read old threads, and am wondering if permabanning of the OP means they're unsearchable (because they're part of that person's posting history).

Not sure if you're asking me this, but I'm just curious. Sometimes I might like to re-read old threads, and am wondering if permabanning of the OP means they're unsearchable (because they're part of that person's posting history).

I have been able to search for permabanned accounts no problem.

Top Bottom