Please sell me on this game.

Davor

Prince
I am on here trying to read some good reviews. So far I am reading poor reviews, or just fan boys saying CiV rocks and is the best without explanations.

Maybe everyone is too busy playing CiV so can't comment on it right now. I have played the demo. I am not thrilled it took me so long to get the demo working on my laptop. Yes I know I am at minimum specs, but still, I shouldn't have to take this long to get it to work.

So I have a few questions first of all, and second of all, sell the game to me. What do you find fun and why. If something is bad, please explain why as well. Just saying it sucks, or the game is the best dosn't explain anything.

1) For one thing I do not like, I turn Steam off, and then I start the demo, and then Steam starts. Does the full version does this as well? I thought this game can be played without Steam.

2) For people who are playing with minimum specs, can you play the game on large or huge maps? How are the inbetween turns in the mid and late stages of the game?

3) Please feel free to make any comments you want about the game, good or bad. But please give an explanation as to why. If it rocks, why does it rock. If it sucks why does it suck? What features are great, what features are no good?

I am not soldfrom playing the demo. I am shocked at how little to no "This is the greatest game ever" threads. I am surprised how very little "this game is good" threads.

So if you are going to post in this thread please be respectful, and explain why this is good and why you like or love this game. If you do not like it or hate it, please explain yourself as well.

From what I read, I will base my purchase or lack of purchase from reading your comments.

Thanks ahead of time for participating in this thread.

I personally really like Civ V.
As of complete version side by side comparison
Civ IV BTS out does vanilla Civ V. I am confident though that Civ V will be the eventual better game.

You play the full game with Steam on as well. No different from the demo.

There's nothing anyone here can say which will sell you one way or another on the game. You're either going to listen to the negative people who don't like it, or the positive people who do like it. Anyone who says "Worst game ever!" or "Best game ever!" after 24 hours of playing it shouldn't be listened to, I don't care which one it is. All you can do is read everything here and make whatever decision your brain decides to make.

I enjoy the game very much. I absolutely loved Civ IV and I don't find myself wanting to go back to it, not at this time at least. It's a different take on a classic series, and that's what I like about it. I don't want it to be exactly the same as Civ IV, or even just Civ IV with a few changes. I want a different experience, and I've got it. There's no one here who can tell you whether or not you'll like the game. No one.

And besides if you can't get past the Steam thing, then it doesn't really matter to begin with.

I read that thread. I didn't see anything in there that would make me go out and buy the game. I don't see anything in there that would stop me from buying the game.

That is why I made this one. That thread is asking if it's any good, quick and simple answers. I would like more indepth explanations instead of Yes this is good or no it's not.

Just because 100 people said the game is no good, one person can say the game is good, and if the explanation is given that I agree with, then I may buy the game then because it was explained. Each of us have different tastes. I might agree with the minority. Then again, I may not. But if no explanations were given, how can I really know?

I'm enjoying it. I always played Huge or Large maps on Marathon in Civ, in this one the Huge map was too much. Marathon might even be too slow for me, but i'm having fun finding out.

So far I've seen nothing to suggest that it won't be the best Civ game ever, just like the rest ended up...after a while.

Faultless? No. Steam/DRM/allthathorsehocky is annoying too, so maybe it should be perfect off the bat considering what we have to suffer? Jesus, I'm in the EU and I had to jump through hoops just to play it before it was released. This :):):):) isn't helping Firaxis's cause. All the negativity might make people stay back from buying the game in Europe. If that happens, I frankly think it's a good thing...nothing to do with the quality of the game though.

Moderator Action: We do not allow swearing at Civfanatics and your post has tripped the auto censor that replaces swear words with smilies. That is a warning to you to edit your post. swearing or triggering the auto censor will earn you points that can accumulate and earn you a "vacation" from the site. Please read the rules and do not swear. Thanks.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I'm not going to try to convince you however, simple fact is gaming is a consumer thing these days and you take what you get.

Just go buy the game and try it yourself. I personally like it cause it is "entertaining". Buying this game is not like purchasing a car. Either you want to play this game or not, it's that simple. If you like the other CIV games, I am sure you are going to like this one as well.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the explanation guys please keep them up.

So for those who have bought the collectors edtion, or the $10 more version, is it really worth it? I so why?

I am on here trying to read some good reviews. So far I am reading poor reviews, or just fan boys saying CiV rocks and is the best without explanations.

CiV's MetaScore is 91 (from 27 critic reviews). I would check those out.

1) For one thing I do not like, I turn Steam off, and then I start the demo, and then Steam starts. Does the full version does this as well? I thought this game can be played without Steam.

Nope, you need Steam to play. You also need an internet connection to initially authorize your copy but you can play in Offline Mode thereafter.

2) For people who are playing with minimum specs, can you play the game on large or huge maps? How are the inbetween turns in the mid and late stages of the game?

I'm personally running on an Intel C2D E8500 with a 9800GT (a bit above min. specs), and everything runs fine. Played about 6 hours (4 hours MP, 2 hours tutorial) and have not experienced any crashes. There are occasional framerate drops and turns take longer than Civ IV, but neither feel excessive to me.

3) Please feel free to make any comments you want about the game, good or bad. But please give an explanation as to why. If it rocks, why does it rock. If it sucks why does it suck? What features are great, what features are no good?

Too early for me to tell. I want to fully explore all avenues of the game before coming to a decision. First impressions? I like it. Again, there's plenty of both professional and non-professional reviews for you to check out, but I'm against snap-judgement.

I am not soldfrom playing the demo. I am shocked at how little to no "This is the greatest game ever" threads. I am surprised how very little "this game is good" threads.

You're shocked that people are complaining on the internet? ;) The internet tends to magnify critical and negative assessments and groups. I bet all the people who are thinking "This is the greatest game ever" are too busy playing to post.

From what I read, I will base my purchase or lack of purchase from reading your comments.

You can always ask a friend for their Steam login and try the full game out yourself. Other than that, since you can't re-sell digital copies, you may want to wait a bit if you're wary about shelling out $50-$60. In fact, I bet Steam is going to have a nice sale in a few months if you're still on the fence and haven't bought it yet (FYI the Steam sales are awesome. I got Civ IV complete for $20. The sales alone are worth getting Steam for).

So for those who have bought the collectors edtion, or the $10 more version, is it really worth it? I so why?

The Collector's Edition is close to $100 and comes with figurines and other physical goods. I think you're referring to the Digital Deluxe editions.

Totally worth it to me. I want to support Firaxis, especially after reading about their charitable donations from the game's proceeds.

Also, the $10 is easily justified with the fact that (with the Direct2Drive Deluxe edition) it includes the first as-of-yet-unreleased DLC. The added civilization (Babylon) and Civ III are just icing on the cake given the two aforementioned points.

Just because 100 people said the game is no good, one person can say the game is good, and if the explanation is given that I agree with, then I may buy the game then because it was explained. Each of us have different tastes. I might agree with the minority. Then again, I may not. But if no explanations were given, how can I really know?

I was referring to the poll. You can try to eliminate the variables, but the 100 people that think like you might not read this forum, post in this thread, or care to bother convincing you one way or the other. Judging from this http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=381802 you already have a bias against it, and making 15 threads asking people to convince you it's all good is not going to provide the kind of empirical data you seem to expect. It comes down to: If you are interested in a modern 4x strategy game with high production values, you really don't have a heck of a lot of options (or any, frankly.) If 50$ will break your bank and you're happy with Civ 4, then pick it up on sale in a year when mods and expansion packs are out.

Maybe everyone is too busy playing CiV so can't comment on it right now. I have played the demo. I am not thrilled it took me so long to get the demo working on my laptop. Yes I know I am at minimum specs, but still, I shouldn't have to take this long to get it to work.
One thing, I don't know if you are doing, is selecting the DirectX 9 mode game over 11. I was for awhile, due to rushing and not reading what I clicked, playing in the wrong mode and it was beyond slow. Switching helped dramatically, but other'n that... upgrade your system.. probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but *shrugs*

Gotta use steam, granted, after the first activation you can run steam in offline mode and just never connect again and play from there, but, it launches from Steam, which is a negative IMO, albiet a lesser one.

I really love combat, I was a big fan of the old Fantasy Generals and Panzer General games, and this adds that kind of strategy to the game.
The Hex tiles are VERY nicely done (with the exception of the rivers)

Like what other people said, it does have some issues, a lot of which is getting used to how it now looks, but I recall haveing the same issues when switching from 3 to 4.
One thing I HATE about the game, is the maps feel, at least to me, cluttered. Yes, I can turn off Resourse and Yield Data on the tiles, but even if you do that, troops seem to just blend in to easily, gods forbid you're playing germany with that subdued grey color... even with the 'icons' to show you where and what type of troops are present, it just seems cluttered and camoflaged to some degree.

It does to my memory seem a more solid launch than Vanilla 4.... but then, that memory leak drove me nuts.

Resources are another nice aspect of the strategy, this last game I had tons of horses, but only 2 iron available. As such, it limited my usage of some troops to 2 catapults so I could push Germany's one city to get access to some other veins of Ore. I really like this added aspect.

Hope some of my comments helped you.
Suicidal

Thanks for your explanation milk steak. I will go and read the link you have provided. I do not want to wait if it's a good game. I have waited over 9 months for Fallout 3 to go down in price and it never did, so that ment 9 months not playing a good game. So I want to make shure this dosn't happen again, so I am doing my homework first.

No problem and I totally understand. I try to do as much research before I spend my hard earned cash. :)

So I have a few questions first of all, and second of all, sell the game to me. What do you find fun and why. If something is bad, please explain why as well. Just saying it sucks, or the game is the best dosn't explain anything.

So if you are going to post in this thread please be respectful, and explain why this is good and why you like or love this game. If you do not like it or hate it, please explain yourself as well.

Thanks ahead of time for participating in this thread.

Most people who have the game and like it are playing at it, go over to to the story and tales section to see what some real people and not the trolls think of the game.

I think the demo sells itself!

Tried the demo, had problems with it, not so happy with it. I am more for game play than graphics. Since I am unipressed with the graphics, (I am not saying I hate them, just they were to over hyped, whoe ever designed the rivers should be fired or at least make a public apology) I am more for game play.

So far I havn't seen much game play so I need your guys and gals input for the game play aspect.

I didn't know there was a story section. I will check it out now. I have this page booked marked so this is where all I go :)

The combat is so much better I can't see myself going to back to stacks of doom and suiciding catapults.

Tried the demo, had problems with it, not so happy with it. I am more for game play than graphics. Since I am unipressed with the graphics, (I am not saying I hate them, just they were to over hyped, whoe ever designed the rivers should be fired or at least make a public apology) I am more for game play.

I'd hold off if I were you, then. You could wait until the first patch is announced and decide if you like the changes. There could also be a performance increase with it too.

Edit: If I didn't buy Civ V, I'd totally be playing Civ IV. Civ IV is still a great game.

Read lemmy's walkthrough of the game. He does a good job explaining how many mechanics are improved.

Top Bottom