1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Please! Simple question on civ2 ...

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by royfurr, May 11, 2002.

1. royfurr

royfurr "Klotzen, nicht Kleckern"

Hi All,
    New to this forum on Two as when I was an active Civ2 player, didn't know about the forums, found this from hanging out in the Civ 3 forum.

ANYWAY my question. I want to start off my 71 yr. old dad on the Civ series, specifically Civ II. The (potential) problem is that his machine use WinME as the OS, and I am not sure if that will be problematic for running CivII or not, and I am on the other side of the country from him so cannot really help him out a lot if he has problems. Plus all my experience is with 95/98. So, is it a headache to run CIvII with ME or is this typically doable?

Thanks for your answers, I am jonesing to send Pop my old Civ2 Strat guide and have a copy of Civ II shipped to him from Amazon ($9.99 plus S&H + tax), but don't want to do so if he's just going to be frustrated with lotsa crashes etc. Three has been reported to be pretty problematic on ME, this doesn't mean of course that Two will be so, but thought I'd get others experience before I do this.

THANKS!! again.

Civ on.

2. Lucky

Lucky Game- and Quizmaster

Running Civ2 on WinME should be NO problem at all. Be sure to do a correct install with all the WinG and Video for Windows drivers that come with Civ2. :yeah:
    If any problems arise it are most likely the INDEO video drivers. Go to their sity (Intel INDEO) to update them.

But since Civ2 IS a Windows game, there really should be no problems at all!
    :D

3. royfurr

Thank you, Lucky!

4. GenghisK

GenghisK ...

Please please please can you make me a favor? go an buy either WinXP/2000 or 98. It's much better too for your game and mental health ;) ME will turn you crazy in a short period. Civ2 will work fine though but will do it smoother under 2K or XP or 98.

5. starlifter

starlifter Deity

All the above are good advice.... however.... there really are certain driver and hardware combinations that can cause issues under some or all the Win 9x (Win 95, 95 OSR 2.1, Win 98, Win 98 SE, Win ME, etc...).

Lucky has some sage advice... download the most current video drivers.

Properly install system updates and drivers first. Do not allow the game install to overwrite a newer install. MS leaves the garbage in the windows\system directory, and sometimes does not properly remove some of the Registry entries that set the timeing and behavior of the OS with the hardware. There are certain issues that can arise from MS's spottly support of the Acer Labs, Inc. (ALi), Aladdin, and yes, even Intel and AMD chipsets (not CPUs, but controlling chipsets called Northbridge and Southbridge). MS generally acknowledges their feeble support buried in their KB (knowledgebase), assuming you can find it.

On the positive side, back up your system before install (or at least the system registry), and install. Odds are pretty good it'll work. If not, see the tech section of this website. I also have a dad in his 70's across the country using his PC to play Civ... but I built it and installed all the drivers, updates, etc. as necessary before I shipped the PC to him. :)

6. royfurr

starlifter (& GhenghisK)-
    Thanks for the tips. You all "is right", and a reminder to BU before install is NEVER a bad thing. Thanks again. I'm about to get the game shipped to Pop and after he's up and running I'll post how he's doing ... well, at least in running the game anyway, and hopefully in playing it too!!

Civ on!