Please tell me multiplayer doesn't still remove game features with no option to enable them.

Takfloyd

Prince
This was bad enough in Civ IV where all movies and tech narrations were disabled in multiplayer unless you modded them back in, but Civ V was outright offensive about destroying immersion in multiplayer games, to the point where I refunded the and never gave it another look. No unit animations, no popups, and most egregiously - no AI diplomacy in multiplayer.

I don't understand why Firaxis has repeatedly denied us the most fundamental multiplayer experience in the past - one that is identical to the single player - but I'm holding onto hope that they haven't repeated the mistake yet again. All I want is to play with my friends and never have to actually play single player to see all the game has to offer.

I thought you could turn the unit animations back on.

Agreed on the AI diplomacy in multiplayer though, it was bizarre how they hamstrung it and never patched it back in.

I thought you could turn the unit animations back on.

Not when I played it at launch. I assume they patched it in at some point since I haven't heard any complaints about it in recent years, but apparently the no diplomacy thing was never fixed, which is even worse.

Watching FilthyRobot play some duel MP games today popups are on and cannot be disabled, which in simultaneous MP can be rather detrimental to say the least. There should be an option to turn them off.

Ok, after getting the game I've tested a bit by hosting a multiplayer game with only myself and AI players. Unit animations, splash screens and AI diplomacy seem to all be intact - though AI interactions are put in the sidebar instead of automatically popping up. This seems really great so far! I'll report back if I do find any missing features.

Are leaderheads in multiplayer? My concern is stripped down multiplayer as well. I pretty much only play with my brother and prefer to have the option of a single-player experience in multiplayer. The lack of animations at launch of Civ5 was a huge immersion breaker. And the AI didn't feel like an active part of the game.

Are leaderheads in multiplayer? My concern is stripped down multiplayer as well. I pretty much only play with my brother and prefer to have the option of a single-player experience in multiplayer. The lack of animations at launch of Civ5 was a huge immersion breaker. And the AI didn't feel like an active part of the game.

They are, though you have to click on the notifications to see them, whereas in single player they will pop up automatically. So far nothing seems to be completely gone in multiplayer, though I've only done some quick testing with AIs.

Update: Wonder movies are, again, not in multiplayer. Though since they're just an in-game fast forward of the construction, it doesn't bother me that much.

If there's era splash screens in single player, those are also not in multiplayer, though I haven't played single player enough to confirm.

Can also elaborate that if you ignore the sidebar notifications from AI opponents in multiplayer, you will miss out on them entirely, including opportunities like seeing their capital when you first meet them. So make sure to pay attention to those!

I should also add that with 4 human players, I've been unable to add more than 4 AI opponents, regardless of map size. Seems like a hard restriction put in place to prevent long AI turn calculations. I'm sure this will be fixed with mods soon enough.

Last edited:
I really happy with the multiplayer features this time! Its stable, and full AI diplo etc. I even support cutting out wonder movies etc that just waste precious time.

Top Bottom