Pledge to Protect Consequences

rogermexico

Chieftain
Hi everybody.

I see a lot of people recommending picking up the Consulates SP and then pledging to protect all the City States on the map - becoming instant friends with everyone.

I hardly ever pledge to protect, all the way back to Vanilla, so I'm a little fuzzy on the chain of consequences. If an AI goes and bullies/demands tribute from a CS that I've pledged to protect, my understanding is that I need to tell them it's not cool and to quit it when the diplo dialogue happens in order to keep the benefit.

Do people who are using this Consulates/Pledge combo find that it's drawing them into unintended conflicts with the AI? Do people just drop the CSs that are getting bullied?

Hi everybody.

I see a lot of people recommending picking up the Consulates SP and then pledging to protect all the City States on the map - becoming instant friends with everyone.

I hardly ever pledge to protect, all the way back to Vanilla, so I'm a little fuzzy on the chain of consequences. If an AI goes and bullies/demands tribute from a CS that I've pledged to protect, my understanding is that I need to tell them it's not cool and to quit it when the diplo dialogue happens in order to keep the benefit.

Do people who are using this Consulates/Pledge combo find that it's drawing them into unintended conflicts with the AI? Do people just drop the CSs that are getting bullied?

It isn't that easy to notice but it gives you a slightly harder time to maintain good relations with other AIs. That's about it. For the cost of two SPs, it's usually worth it.

You should do it even without consulates because it basically means you'll get 10 additional turns of friendship for doing a barb quest or whatever. The only exception not to do it is if you plan to attack the CS or steal a worker. For this reason I tend to wait until t25 or so before I start auto-pledging.

The only exception not to do it is if you plan to attack the CS or steal a worker.

I attack CSes (well, one per game) after PtP all the time. It doesn't seem to have any negative impact at all.

I'd definitely notice if it lowered the resting point for nearby CS'es since I often check civs at their resting point due to misclick/forgetfulness/absent-mindedness, but it's possible that it modifies decay since it's a bit harder to see than resting point is.

(Now, more than one CS DOW will definitely affect nearby-CS resting points, in the other hand.)

Top Bottom