1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pledge to protect

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by JesusOnEez, Mar 13, 2012.

1. JesusOnEez

JesusOnEez Emperor

I've just started playing again after a "wait for some patches and hope for the best" hiatus.

Things seem much better balanced now, but i never really played enough to "get" the mechanics, what's best to build where and when and all that stuff. That I'll figure out in my own good time.

The only real question I have at the moment, is why is the "pledge to protect" option not always there when going into a city state screen? Is it because someone has already pledged to protect? More to the point, what's the use of pledging to protect...it seems to be an option for the sake of it, without actually doing anything constructive...

Can anyone explain how this works and what it actually does?

2. Alk3Crimson

Alk3Crimson Chieftain

It gives a small amount of influence with them, and will (sometimes) keep the AI from attacking them for fear of your retaliation. I'm not positive, but I think if antoher civ is already protecting them, you can't.

3. Heerlo

Heerlo Jedi Master Hearlo

I've had three city states in my current game that I have been pledging to protect.Sometimes it's not there on mine, either.And sometimes just a little bit after I do it I can do it again.

4. JesusOnEez

JesusOnEez Emperor

OK, little bit of influence is fine. Worth more if you're Alex and heading down Patronage I guess. It does seems a bit random how it's there sometimes and others it's not...must be a reason for this.

5. Pax_Romanus

Pax_Romanus Chieftain

You have to be at least friends to make a pledge of protection.

6. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

I don't think it does anything. You for sure do not get influence! And one would think taht it prevents AIs from attacking them, but they do that rarely anyway - and if they intend to, a pledge would/doesn't stop them to do so from my experience.
    The only thing this option does is probably hinder the player from delcaring on a CS the AI pledged to protect.

7. Pax_Romanus

Pax_Romanus Chieftain

Yeah, I only pledge CS which I need when Genghis goes or Alex forget their meds. Since I'm a warmonger, my army is big enough to be a detterent. Otherwise, it's just pointless, though I suspect that might change with G&K...

8. Monthar

Monthar Emperor

I think this is only there so you piss off the AI when you attack a CS, even if that CS is allied to someone who DoW'd ya.

9. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Practical effect:

In addition to the DOW penalty for doing so against anybody (including a CS), the civs who have pledged to protect will be extra mad in event of a DOW.

I'm not sure if it enters AI calculations at all.

10. Dusk

Dusk Prince

So it only works against the human player? As in the AI gets more uppity if you attack that CS?

If the AI attacks a CS that I pledged to protect, everyone still calls me a warmonger if I then declare war on that AI.

11. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

Hopefully G&K will fix a lot of the diplomacy in the game. Yeah, it works alright but it's a bit lame especially in the realm of warfare and its effect on leader attitudes.

12. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Well, the AI gets extra mad if another AI DOWs the CS they have pledged to protect as well.

And that second sentence is true; AIs don't like you DOWing anybody no matter how justified you are. (Minor exception of the ones that hate that AI asking you to do so)