Ploish Cavalry in WWII

CELTICEMPIRE

Zulu Conqueror
Ive been reading a lot about World War 2 recently and I saw a picture of Polish Cavalry carrying lances?!?!
were these just for reconasance or did they exspect to have them charge at Machine-gunners or fight tanks
and why were they carrying lances and not guns

They were ahead of their times and had already played civ1?

:spear:

(I'm sure someone will have a serious answer... I just have always wanted to use this smiley!)

They were ahead of their times and had already played civ1?

:spear:

classic.

The images of polish cavalry galloping with lances was ceremonial not reality. Might have been useful as recce or patrol. First contact would always favour positioned infantry. Cavalry still offered mobility on open fronts when you ran out of fuel, or machinery wouldn't run. In the past Poles hoped a few units might slip between enemy lines somewhere, or chase down some isolated units like they did in 1921.

That assertion is pretty much bogus. If at any time they did charge against tanks, the crew was almost certiantly out of the tanks on rest or something.

i heard someone say they went against tanks
That is Nazi propaganda. Later reinforced by Soviet propaganda.

Cavalry charges were reserved for surprise attacks against infantry and German cavalry.
The event that the propaganda was based on had the Poles charge unprepared German infantry. After the Poles withdrew, German tanks showed up and then reporters arrived and saw the dead polish cavalry around the tanks.

I believe there was also at least one occasion where a polish cavalry charge was counter-attacked by German armoured forces.

Lastly there was one occasion where a polish force, including cavalry, just happened to run into a German armoured column. This was not a charge, nor even an attack and was completely unintentional.

The Germans and Soviets also used cavalry throughout the Eastern Theater. They're far more mobile than tanks, especially in the muddier and more wooded regions of the countryside.

Polish use of cavalry was minimal, but well-placed. As I recall, they were successful in all engagements, routing German troops they encountered.

I mean, if I was holding a k98 and saw a hundred guys charging me on horseback with sabers drawn, I think I would book it too.

Cavalry is still useful to this day, depending on the situation. There are still cavalry charges happening in Afghanistan and Sudan. Probably Pakistan and some other African countries as well.

What's Ploish?

Cavalry is still useful to this day, depending on the situation. There are still cavalry charges happening in Afghanistan and Sudan. Probably Pakistan and some other African countries as well.

Don't the Americans have cavalry forces in Afghanistan?

The Chinese still have a cavalry regiment too. Very useful in the Steppes.

What's Ploish?

The Chinese still have a cavalry regiment too. Very useful in the Steppes.
I don't know if the Americans do, but the Afghan Army has several cavalry regiments. I remember during the invasion there was a case of a Northern Alliance general launching a cavalry charge on a Taliban position after an American airstrike, resulting in probably the largest amount of awesome I've ever heard of.

I don't know if the Americans do, but the Afghan Army has several cavalry regiments. I remember during the invasion there was a case of a Northern Alliance general launching a cavalry charge on a Taliban position after an American airstrike, resulting in probably the largest amount of awesome I've ever heard of.

Wasnt that the result of miscommunication between the American spotter and the Afghans?

In general, modern American "cavalry" regiments consist of mechanized troops and other small armored vehicles. Not the same usage as it was historically. I'm not sure about the Afghan military.

In general, modern American "cavalry" regiments consist of mechanized troops and other small armored vehicles. Not the same usage as it was historically. I'm not sure about the Afghan military.
That is the armoured cavalry, whose doctrine is more reminiscent of the old heavy cavalry, the brute force elements. The air cavalry is heliborne infantry, though I think this has largely been removed from the US since Vietnam. They filled more of the light cavalry/mobile infantry role (which cavalry was largely delegated to in the latter have on the 19th and 20th centuries).

US Special forces have also acted as horse cavalry in parts Afghanistan, because that is the standard transportation there and is more useful then vehicles. But I believe they still act mroe as mounted infantry than cavalry (as the Poles and everyone else did in WWII). Which I assume

I heard about some cavalry brigade who destroyed some tanks by throwing Molotov cocktails on them.

It is quite possible, but at the same time they would almost certainly have been dismounted in cover to ambush the tanks. Horses are just so obvious and easy targets for machineguns, or even bolt action rifles.

I remember seeing a book about American Special Forces who used cavalry to fight the Taliban in the opening stages of the war and gather intel.

Horses are just so obvious and easy targets for machineguns, or even bolt action rifles.
Quite so. As the cavalry charge in Dr. Zhivago demonstrated.

For example: German and Soviet Union armies also was using cavalry, but they was using horses in same way as bicycles, to make infantry move fast from point A to B where they have to leave horses and go into battle positions. Mounted soldier was a huge easy target. Horses are very vulnerable.

P.S.: Even waffen-ss was having couple cavalry divisions.

Not to mention the US Army, British Army, French Army, and pretty much every other army in existance at the time that was large enough to field cavalry.

To be honest, though, cavalry had been removed as a major factor in a battle in the 19th century against a modern enemy acting primarily as mounted infantry in large battles (such as in the American Civil War). They still had a role in scouting, screening, foraging, and raiding (where mobility is the important factor, and if they got into a fight, would usually dismount), roles they continued to fill in WWII until replaced by armoured cars and light vehicles.
Though yes, there were many exceptions, the cavalry charge was outdated before tanks arrived.

Top Bottom