Plucking workers from the coast

Fanny Brice

Prince
I've noticed with C3C, that ALL units can attack enemy workers along the coast right off of transports. This should be counted as an amphibious assualt.

I used to do this with Vanilla and PTW, but I only used Marines. Maybe I was assuming I could not do it with other units.

Does anyone know if this has been changed with C3C, or could you always use any unit to do this?

This exploit should be fixed.

I can't remember if you could always do it, but I first noticed it in Conquests.

Whether intentional or not, it is very annoying. Only marines should be able to do it.

Just remembering....

This might have been changed intentionally because of the "Wall of Workers" tactic where you (human player... not AI) could ring an island with workers thus preventing an amphibious landing by any units. There would be no place to land. You could also do this on the cheap just be moving workers around as AI ships sailed near.

If they changed it for that reason, I guess I would have to say it is "OK."

But it is very exploitable either way.

The best solution would have been giving us an amphibious unit for all the ages.

>>But it is very exploitable either way.

Kind of depends on how you look at it. Since workers have no means to defend themselves, it makes sense that any unit coming off of a transport could snag your worker.

Seems like a good way to fix an exploit to me...

Originally posted by thestonesfan
I can't remember if you could always do it, but I first noticed it in Conquests.

Whether intentional or not, it is very annoying. Only marines should be able to do it.
No it's not annoying, it's how it's supposed to work I think. A worker is not a defender, so it should not be able to protect from a coastal landing.

:hmm:
this leads to the question: can you actually capture undefended coastal cities with any combat unit?

Originally posted by Grille
:hmm:
this leads to the question: can you actually capture undefended coastal cities with any combat unit?
Wouldn't think so. That would take away the bonus of the amphibious units.

It's a new feature to prevent the coastal blockades with units and workers, especially in MP games.

Originally posted by Grey Fox
No it's not annoying, it's how it's supposed to work I think. A worker is not a defender, so it should not be able to protect from a coastal landing.

That part of it I have no problem with, and there needs to be a way to get around it. I have an issue with every unit being able to attack from a ship. That's what's annoying to me.

Originally posted by thestonesfan

That part of it I have no problem with, and there needs to be a way to get around it. I have an issue with every unit being able to attack from a ship. That's what's annoying to me.
Every unit can't attack from a ship, they can only land on the shore. If you put a defender on the shore a regular unit can't attack from the ship.

Another thing I notice with the workers is that the AI seems to destroy them as soon as they capture them from you. I can always seem to capture their workers, and use them, but whenever the AI captures workers from me, they always seem to destroy them. Very odd. I have never actually tried to take workers from other Civs via the coast, but I do enjoy making a blockade of units.

Originally posted by RealGoober
Another thing I notice with the workers is that the AI seems to destroy them as soon as they capture them from you. I can always seem to capture their workers, and use them, but whenever the AI captures workers from me, they always seem to destroy them. Very odd.
Hmm, interesting, I have exactly the opposite impression.
The AI used to disband almost every worker that was captured on my territory (at least workers being 2 tiles or more away from the border).
Now they sometimes capture workers that stay 'deep' in my territory (i.e. more than one turn required to move them out) and don't disband them. Instead, they try to walk home w/o an excort - so it's pretty easy to re-capture them. Very odd.;)

The AI disband them when they see a high probability of loosing them again the next turn.

Yeah - and that's quite reasonable.
It's just my impression that they used to see the high probability of loosing them again next turn much more clearly.

Originally posted by Grey Fox
Every unit can't attack from a ship, they can only land on the shore. If you put a defender on the shore a regular unit can't attack from the ship.

Are you sure? In the Sengoku Conquest, I had a coastal city being hammered by Caravels full of Samurai. They may have had Amphibious Assault flagged, but I don't know why they would have.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

Samurai do have amphibious assault.

I'm pretty sure of that, anyway... I know the dirty Takeda amphibi-attacked me with *something.*

Originally posted by Lord Apolon
Samurai do have amphibious assault.*
No they don't.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, in the Sengoku Conquest they do have Amphibious.

Originally posted by pjmcb
Since workers have no means to defend themselves, it makes sense that any unit coming off of a transport could snag your worker.

well they have ashovel (road), they have a machete(clear jungel), an axe (clear forest), a pick axe (mine), while this is intended to be humorus, a worker would probably fair pretty well against anything before musketmen

Originally posted by ybbor
well they have ashovel (road), they have a machete(clear jungel), an axe (clear forest), a pick axe (mine), while this is intended to be humorus, a worker would probably fair pretty well against anything before musketmen
But they got no training.

Top Bottom