1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

plz gimme some advice

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by gunsnroses, Mar 31, 2004.

1. gunsnroses

gunsnroses Chieftain

Ok, here 's the deal:
    this is my first regent game (C3C) and i play maya's (thought: lets do something impulsive). I put the kind of landscape random so i am now playing on pangea (i believe).
    I've been playing some time and now i'm in 1924. I'm behind in tax, but my miserable starting position has expanded to more territory.

Starting position:

that small island with 6 cities on it was my starting position.

I started expanding towards mainland as soon as i had galley's and far later in the game i conquered the Carthegians (i just finished with them).
    Now this is my conquered land:

Now, i didn't thought of my desired victory from the beginning. I thought: hey, lets look where i'm heading. But now i'm doubting wich victory i want. A space race is impossible, i'm 3 or 4 techs behind and i don't have the best producing city. I think i have too strong enemies and too little time to get a conquest victory. Nobody likes me so UN will be tough. And culture is just impossible, i should have worked for that which i didn't. So what should I do?

(if the screenshots don't work... i'll look into it this evening, i gotta work)

2. Jawz II

Jawz II Oh Dear

welcome dude

i say go for conquestit is possible to kill a civ that has more troops,even if they have slightly more advanced troops its possible(but hard)

u basicly have to stop producing anything other than military units

also if your reputation is gone u can be as bad as u want to be,nuke them,stab them in the back,steal techs,whatever it takes

3. gunsnroses

gunsnroses Chieftain

ok, first: thx

and then: the screenshots obviously don't work, can anyone tell me how to do it?

one of my files is named: mainland.jpg
    so i click IMG and type: http://www.civfanatics.com/uploads7/mainland.jpg

then it doesn't work...the file IS uploaded...what do i do wrong?

4. thefrenchzulu

thefrenchzulu Chieftain

Try caps, like: mainland.JPG

Don't ask

5. gunsnroses

gunsnroses Chieftain

THX!!!!!! now the screenshots are online :D

6. thefrenchzulu

thefrenchzulu Chieftain

Guns, this looks like a tough one!

Where is all your money going? Do you mind uploading your current game and we can have a look. It is difficult to find the right approach with only the pics.

My first suggestion would be to get rid of republic government. I's to costly. I full out assualt should be possible with some careful planning.

7. gunsnroses

gunsnroses Chieftain

ok, here is the save game

i 've been playing on monarchie during the war, that went war however only income of 14 or something, to maximize science.
    then i switched to republic for more gold and to get some advances as the AI don't want to trade :mad: not even for gpt:mad:

but here it is!

8. thefrenchzulu

thefrenchzulu Chieftain

Guns, looks worse than I thought!

Still it should be possible at this level, though your military is weak.

What you need is to strenghten your core cities. Get courthouses in all of them, Even your capital. Good for war weariness. Then hospitals, banks and factories. It is very late in the game for a forbidden palace! What happened all the time?

Ok, apart from first strengthning your core, you also need to alter the AI attitude toward you. They basically hate you. I suggest getting the AI into war. MPPs with all of them and then you attack Spain. First push your culture in your new territory, get courthouses and markets and then go for the coal city. Once at war you should find more people to trade luxuaries with. At this level the AI shouldn't resist to much and Spain's military is average.

Move in with large stacks. Pull all the unnecessary units from your core cities and also the newly occupied area. Get more cannons. Remember when you declare war on Spain, everone is going to join, but they will try to counter. Let them run into your stacks already situated on the mountains and shell them to pieces before taking them out.

I'll have a further look tomorrow, maybe play a few turns.

Good luck

9. gunsnroses

gunsnroses Chieftain

yeah that with the forbidden palace: i wanted to wait with building it. I wanted it in the middle of the carthege lands (thats were i'm building it now), but i thought i would capture those lands earlier in the game.

The coal city is indeed my first target, cause with railroads and things wars will be much quicker, especially with the french!

The cannons are... a bit of a shame. This is my first game were i really use my cannons. Before i didn't think they were worth the producing, but after joining the forums i read how much you can accomplish with those, so i build them now.

One thing on getting all units to the front, also out the core cities. Wouldn't that be stupid? I mean I have some (small) attacks from the AI before in my core (island) area. And besides in my captured area, leaving those undefended wouldn't that be very dangerous with all those other civ city's nearby?

btw: thanks for you comments!

10. thefrenchzulu

thefrenchzulu Chieftain

Guns, I played a few turns and have to admit defeat.

I could get rid of the spanish, get ahead in production, science etc, but there is just to few turns left.

A few pointers.

When you are stuck on a small island, you must use all available space. Also, don't build any cities 1 square away from the ocean. You can't build a harbor and basically lose food production. Also you had three squares of floodplains not used!

Building the war academy, pyramids on such a small island is counter productive. You could rather have build more units.

As previously said, you had no courthouses! They are very important in C3C. They actually help!

I will attach the game as far as I got, though it is a losing cause. Also note that you had far to little workers! The mayans have inslavement? Where are all the captured workers?

Saved file

I'm sure more was possible, though I don't think it would have been possible to root any of the other Civs

11. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Another tip would be to build mines on grassland instead of irragation. You only need irragation if you want to support an extra hill or mountain. Do any of your cities have coal? If not, trade for it! Build rails, and mines. You can build up your production. Although, with only 112 turns left, I don't think you have much of a chance to win. But, if Zerkees wants another challenge...

12. gunsnroses

gunsnroses Chieftain

mines on grassland? is that more valuable? i try that in my next game. On the coal: no one has spare coal or they don't wanna trade with me, anyway thats why i wanted to wage war on the spanish, they have a city with coal just outside my territory.

Thx FrenchZulu for the savegame, i will look into it. And on the workers: i have not much because my empire was small and the Carthage didn't have many when i conquered them.
    And building courthouses in city's close to you capitol is that wise? will that have any real effect?

and one last question: wich government do you recommend for the rest of the game? (or will i see that in the savegame)?

13. gunsnroses

gunsnroses Chieftain

and another thing: the savegame doesn't work, well i can't download it

14. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

yes, especially in despotism, due to the shield penalty. Also, a size 42 city that has all irragation will only have maybe 5spt at the most. A size 21 city with all tiles mined (and railed) could have 40-50 spt (shields per turn).

15. gunsnroses

gunsnroses Chieftain

and wich tiles should be irrigrated?

16. gunsnroses

gunsnroses Chieftain

and i think what went wrong with the savegame, it should be there as an attachment not as a URL (i think)

17. thefrenchzulu

thefrenchzulu Chieftain

OK. sorry, it should work now. I lost connection while uploading it!

You can irrigate plains and floodplains. It all depends on the city and also the time. I irrigate only late in the game agter I have factories and can still push tanks out every 2-3 turns. It also depends on your luxuaries and around happiness. You don't wan't massive unhappy cities, rather smaller productive ones.

Yes, courthouses all over! Even in your capital. You do it for war wariness as well.

I went communism, though it was to late in the game to really have a big impact.

18. gunsnroses

gunsnroses Chieftain

thx all for the comments :D now i'm gonna try it to work