Pmod01 - A lightly modded SG

pnaxighn

Warlord
I'm hoping to do a series of SGs, each of which is played with a different, one-off mod. Standard SG rules apply, with the addition of "no looking at the civopedia" -- gotta figure out what's going on yourself!*

I have a first mod all lined up. Let me know if you'd like to play, and what difficulty you're currently at. I'll gin up a save and distribute the mod + save after figuring out a good difficulty level for the interested group.

*Clarification: The first mod will *not* affect players, only AIs. This rule is to make the difference in opponents a surprise. If this runs, and runs well, I may change this for the next mod, since it clearly bothers people. Hopefully there are a few folks interested in giving it a shot, anyway...

Roster is full. I'll get the mod and the save up ASAP.

Roster:
Pnaxighn
silk1976
Thy_Spellcraft
cripp7

Very much not kidding. It's not going to be a huge screw-job -- you'll just have to trust me that not knowing what's coming will make the mod more fun.

My first thought was that not looking at the pedia isn't a big deal, because many times people already know what the units/buildings/etc do. Plus, one can always look at a pedia outside of the SG.

However, the above quote makes me think that perhaps the mod to be played has altered some of the effects of various wonders and buildings.

My first thought was that not looking at the pedia isn't a big deal, because many times people already know what the units/buildings/etc do. Plus, one can always look at a pedia outside of the SG.

However, the above quote makes me think that perhaps the mod to be played has altered some of the effects of various wonders and buildings.

You were exactly right the first time. The only modifications are civ-specific, and won't affect the civ being played. It will be more interesting, however, to react to the modifications on the fly, rather than planning and being ready for them.

I'd be interested.

Currently I'm somewhere between noble and prince. I am in the midst of finishing up my most recent game @ noble, and I'm in a SG at prince level - so I'm going to try prince for my next single player game.

I'm up for playing at any level that is decided upon by everyone else - even deity.

[channel Joe Pesci]
I could use a good ass kicking, I'll be very honest wid ya
[/channel Joe Pesci]

I'd be interested.

Currently I'm somewhere between noble and prince. I am in the midst of finishing up my most recent game @ noble, and I'm in a SG at prince level - so I'm going to try prince for my next single player game.

I'm up for playing at any level that is decided upon by everyone else - even deity.

[channel Joe Pesci]
I could use a good ass kicking, I'll be very honest wid ya
[/channel Joe Pesci]

Great. Let's see if we can get two more.

And here we are!

We being Churchill of the English. The difficulty is Prince, other settings are pretty standard (Continents, standard/normal, etc.). The mod is also attached. Just unzip it and drop it in your mods folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods).

One other note -- I'll go LAST in this game, to avoid influencing plans based on my knowledge. So, silk1976, you're up!

Roster:
Pnaxighn
silk1976 (UP!)
Thy_Spellcraft
cripp7

Attachments

• Pmod01.zip
    965.5 KB · Views: 281
  • Pmod01 BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    46.9 KB · Views: 244
Ok - well there was no indication of a desire to analyze starting location before settling, so here we go:

(I'm assuming we are playing with standard SG turnsets - ~20 turns in BC era for normal speed)

Turn 0 - 4000 BC
Doesn't seem to be a good place to move the warrior in order to get a better look at the surrounding area. Move warrior south to keep it perched on the hill.
We start with fishing and mining. Decide to settle in place - there are clams nearby and pigs as well. There are 4 hills, some grassland and some plains in the BFC.
Settling pops hut, which gives us a scout. Oh goody - I like recon!
Dial up build of a workboat, and begin research of BW. Workboat will provide some nice :food: to grow city, and no need to research AH quite yet. BW will be good for starting :whipped: and chopping for :hammers:. BW due in 14 turns, WB due in 15 turns.

Spoiler :

Turns 1-3
zzz... exploring

Turn 4 - 3840 BC
Scout pops hut for 26 :gold:

Turn 6 - 3760
Scout pops hut and we get a free tech! Masonry! :clap:

Spoiler :

Turn 8 - 3680
Buddhism FIDL

Turn 11 - 3560
Hinduism FIDL

Turn 14 - 3440
BW in.

Spoiler :

Dial up agriculture, to lead to AH for better :whipped:.
Stall revolting to slavery until workboat is finished.
Speak too soon - WB finished.

Spoiler :

Build warrior next.

Turn 15 - 3400
Pop hut and reveal another free tech - hunting! :rockon:

Spoiler :

Pnaxighn - what the hell kinda mod is this - the free tech mod!? :D

Turn 17 - 3320
Warrior ambushed by lion. Gets mauled pretty bad, but survives. Fortify until healed (9 turns).

Turn 21 - 3160
Agriculture in.

Spoiler :

Dial up AH.
Warrior finished in London - build another warrior.
Realize that I never switched to slavery :hammer2:, so cannot :whipped: a worker. Eh - I'll leave that part of the fun for the next player.

Our world as of 3160 BC:
Spoiler :

Thoughts
  • I noticed that we have a +1 :) (OH YEAH!) so I believe we are charismatic.
  • We have Copper SW of our capital.
  • General area around our capital is pretty plains laden. Going west a bit opens up some grassland tiles and some river area.
  • Have not come across any AI as of yet, so hooking copper may not be a priority.
  • I selected AH as next tech, but no :science: committed. So this can be changed.
  • Next player should probably switch to slavery.
  • I chose to build a 2nd warrior instead of a worker because I wanted to give the city time to grow another pop, since a worker cannot yet pasturize the pigs. However, another option may be to switch to slavery, switch prod to a worker and chop.

Attachments

• Pmod01 BC-3160.CivBeyondSwordSave
    64.4 KB · Views: 252
HA! For a while there, there was nothing to get - I had forgotten to attach the save. Fixed.

While a bit early to settle another city, I took a shot at a quick dotmap showing a couple locations that might be nice to think about settling.
I think that we need another turn sets worth of exploring before we decide anything though - need to find our neighbors, other resources, etc.

It's my first time trying a dotmap - so the locations may suck. :crazyeye:

Spoiler :

Red dot is designed to hook copper, the cows, and the three silk tiles. Ultimately, it'd end up being mostly a cottage/commerce town, with the silks providing some quick :) and :commerce: (I believe thats what silk provides, once calendar is in).

Blue could be a good production city, with 8 hills tiles, and 2 food sources. It would likely take until CS before it would really fill out beyond a size of 4 or 5. However, the combination of good hills production plus 2 food sources for :whipped: could be nice.

Our capital city looks to me like it will largely be a commerce city, with a few hills in there to help with production when necessary.

Over to the west, near the river, are a bunch of hills that look like it could make a few kick ass production cities. I dont see any wonderful GP farm spots yet though, except maybe the desert tile NE of our capital, where it could hook the cows, fish and pigs from the capital BFC.

Wow on the tech pops. I did *not* change anything related to those. The dotmap looks pretty good, too.

Ok. Took a short overview.

The dotmap is pretty good, as far as I can see. And I agree to the GP-farm northeast of London. But we've got a lack of water over there to get it running the way we want..

But I disagree with waiting for some more ressources until we're going to settle our second city! I'd rather go worker --> settler --> worrior --> settler. So we'll be up to three cities and we may go for an early wonder in London. Otherwise we may try for Stonehenge while discovering the world around... so in this case the order would be worker --> SH and we need to change tech to myst.

Or we try to get sailing and have a run for GL..

So tech should be AH --> Weel --> Pottery or (for SH) myst first.

What's about the others?

Top Bottom