Podcast / good morning / your current game

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by bbrady413, Apr 27, 2016.

1. bbrady413

bbrady413 Chieftain

Its too bad that there is no podcast discussing Civ 3. I've glanced over the Polycast, and it looks like they just talk about Civ 5. Am I wrong?

I know, I know, Civ 3 came out 14 years ago and a podcast would have about 20 listeners.....But it would still be nice.

What's everybody up to in their Civ 3 games right now? After lots of horribly failed attempts on Demigod (see thread below), I'm currently playing an Emperor level game on a Huge Pangea as the Persians. I'm somewhere around 1400 AD and gradually and systematically eliminating my neighbors with stacks of artillery following stacks of cavalry and infantry. I have an unexplainably rich neighbor who feeds me a few thousand gold everytime I get a new tech, and I am the tech leader. Buildings are being paid for in cash, and I just got factories with coal plants, allowing me to crank out more units. This game shouldn't last too much longer. :lol:

2. Bretwalda

Bretwalda Warlord

You can try twitch for Civ3 stream. Unless you just wanted to tell your game story ;P

Sent from my ZP951 using Tapatalk

3. tjs282

tjs282 Stone(cold)fish

I have Civ3 installed on 2 machines, with multiple games in progress.

On the laptop, I have an unfinished Large Continents Emp Vanilla-game (ignored for months, since I started getting overrun by the Aztecs), plus another run at the Mesopotamia Conquest (Emp-level, as Egypt this time), and a test-run on a Vanilla-mod I'm fiddling with intermittently (I need to go back to the drawing-board on that one: I made the Spears/ Hoplites a teensy bit OP...). Games-in-progress on the desktop are mostly C3C: I didn't finish my attempt at the Celtic Emp-CotM prior to the submission deadline, so that's still running: it was never going to win me any prizes, but I'm not losing either. I'm also trying out LKTender's huge Earthmap (Random-rolled the Germans), and Rhyes' Mod (Random-rolled the Romans), both at Emp. (I also recently DL'd the Lord of the Mods, and Civinator's CCM 1.8, but haven't played/ installed them yet).

But right now I'm concentrating on (and documenting) the Small (nearly) All-Random game(s) in my 'pRNGods' thread (linked in my sig). I've got fairly confident/comfortable at Emp over the past year, but I'm not doing very well at DG so far... Having abandoned the first Random-DG game I rolled (just about survived to the Mid-Industrial, but my sole remaining rival already had Bombers and ModernArmor, and was almost certainly building his Spaceship -- or Nukes), and lost the second (posted about it in a recent thread: my capital got captured on IBT 20, just before it reached Pop3 :cry:), my third game is underway (description starts here).

I am possibly probably going to lose this one as well, due to a combination of circumstance (exploration suggests that I rolled a 60%Archi-Map, but my Civ was squeezed between 2 others on the second-smallest inhabited landmass), and incompetence (a poor expansion-plan and an unlucky early war: most of my Axes+Archers died, most of theirs survived, and I lost 2/4 cities). Although I have pulled back a little (now have ~12 towns, but ICS'd), induced my immediate neighbours to hate each other, and finally managed to secure some Iron and Horses, I'm now severely lagging in tech, behind 4/5 Civs on the map (1 of which is Scandinavia -- and yes, they already know Invention, and probably also Astro... :hide: ).

4. DanQ

DanQ Owner, Civilized Communication

Presently PolyCast's focus is CivV, yes, and secondarily Beyond Earth: before that, in the show's first 4-5 years the focus was CivIV. From the outset PolyCast has also had a tertiary focus on the Civ series in general though never Civilization III specifically. That said, sibling show ModCast published a special focusing on the third Civ iteration's modding scene in the summer of 2014. Hopefully now as then, at least some of its content is of interest to non-modding CivIII players.

5. bbrady413

bbrady413 Chieftain

Yeah I don't do the mods. In my mind it seems like that would make the game less pure. I could be wrong though. Maybe one day I'll try mods, but with a 9 month old, I just don't have the time to right now! :lol::crazyeye:

6. Squire 2

Squire 2 Chieftain

Regent, Celts, small map, default world, five civs, regicide

Started on a small island with only one luxury and no iron or horses. Expanded to a similarly sized island with no resources or luxuries and then a couple of tiny islands. The French and Hittites took out their rivals so both have large continents to themselves. I usually go with the republic for my government and stick with that for the rest of the game, but given one luxury I went monarchy > communism to keep the people happy. I'm surprised how good communism has been for a peaceful civ! My economy is pretty good and I'm leading the tech race, and the lack of corruption is fantastic. I feel like I could play this game for another 30 years and still be learning things about it