Pointless buildings

civtilidy

Warlord
Hello!
Whats the point of building for example a borehole, +5:c5production: , costs 500:c5production: so it takes 100 damn turns to pay off? seriously? its just a trap.
Or even worse some wonders: Cynosure: costs 1650:c5production: and gives 1 science per 3 pop so maximum about 7 science? Are the designers totally ?
Plz list more pointless buildings that are so crazily designed they will never pay off before the game is over.

The Borehole has a building quest that gives 5% Production, which makes it about ~7-8 production in most cities, a ton more in the capital. Of course, once the quest finally triggers that is. But anyway, if it wasn't placed on such a bad tech it would actually not be that bad, at least for the capital.

Most of the buildings in ring 3 (especially the leaf techs) have the same issue, the buildings are "somewhat okay", but they just don't have the time to pack their costs back. And that's even more true for the wonders.

But I think the most useless building for "what it does", ignoring the problems with positioning etc., is actually the Launch Complex for me. In Singleplayer there are just no offensive satellites that are really worth using, so bonus orbital coverage is in general a really useless effect most of the time. Only thing that is at least somewhat useful is the 10% Production for Orbital Units from the quest.

Well, aside from the original bonus, they also have quest bonus, and some a virtue have bonus regarding building numbers. Borehole, to me, mostly comes in the time when I got nothing else to be built :D

If you have nothing important left to do, it is (in most cases) actually better to convert science or food than construct a building.
...I had a lot of games where my cities did nothing but conversion for a significant time of the mid/late game.

If you have nothing important left to do, it is (in most cases) actually better to convert science or food than construct a building.
...I had a lot of games where my cities did nothing but conversion for a significant time of the mid/late game.

I think the food conversion is underutilized. It's a great way to get crap cities to 10 pop asap.

I usually do that when I don't have buildings left to build, to get the virtue bonuses.

Yes, there are a lot of buildings and especially wonders that were not well thought out. Many of them just are not worth making. The only wonder that I consistently try to make is Stellar Codex because Orbital Lasers are mad OP.

Otherwise I just convert hammers to growth until size 10 and culture/science thereafter.

they still didnt patch this nonsense?

Funnily enough, this is after the patch that was supposed to resolve this. Some issues got fixed, some new ones got introduced, some things that were very nice stopped being worth building at all.

Alot of those late(r) tech buildings are better bought. By that time energy shouldn't be much of a problem anymore, and for example the Borehole could help built that Wonder just a tad faster, or gives a better 'convert production to ...' return.

well, there's bore in borehole for a reason. Not any building can be amazing. Some have to be pragmatic.

I get boreholes and similar buildings with cash. Most of the later buildings are better bought than produced. If you set your economy up right, you'll be producing units and buying buildings.

in the late game i usually have a bonus to producing buildings, so it doesnt actually cost the base amount of 500 hammers. i also usually have multiple % bonuses to hammers, so i get more than the base 5pt from it. i also usually have bonus production to anything else im building after the borehole, be it land units, orbitals, whatever, so the extra i get from borehole is further magnified. all in all, by the late game it pays for itself quite quickly if built in the right cities.

Overall, based on my game experience, where I play on quick...

Buildings, Improvements, Trade and Policies are very good

Wonders and techs are weak. Some excellent techs, but many weak ones as well, I only take for affinity

I suppose it's like any game with buildings. It's hard to make all choices equal, but perhaps they did not try hard enough to make all choices worth consideration :)

Top Bottom