1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pointless Denouncing on Turn 17

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by RockTheCazbah87, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Miravlix

Miravlix King

Most AI will see you as very weak early in the game. If your weak your useless and need to be denounced.

2. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

And now you don't have to look for your enemy, this is a good thing :D

This is like, Sweden and Denmark starting fairly close, but still with some water between. They probably started the big RL civ game denouncing each other. At various wars in this RL game, they was on different side because an enemy of your enemy is your friend. Denmark for example on the French side and Sweden on the British :goodjob:

3. CYZ

CYZ Toileteer

Yup, I feel like there might be some sort of ''we're fishing in the same pool' '' behind these early denouncements.

Has anyone ever been denounced early on by a civ that was actually further away (at least 1 civ in between)?

4. compwiz1202

compwiz1202 King

1. Dido seems to be bipolar. Some games she is friendly the whole game. Another game she was insulting me, then all I did was forgive her for spying, and she went friendly and asked for DoF.
    2. I had the craziest coveting going on in one of my last games. I was trying a one on one on a large map to see if the AI would expand. I finally find India all the way on the other side of the map. I had TWO cities on a LARGE map and he was COVETING my land. Can't he pick from the thousand plus other hexes on the map?! It should just say he wants to eliminate you from existence :lol:

5. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

You should know better, I mean, Gandhi:rolleyes:

6. Wuddel

Wuddel Warlord

Sounds exactly like Lizzy or Alex.

7. headcase

headcase Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

Denouncements are pretty pointless that early in the game. If they want war, they should just go (sometimes the Huns should declare right upon meeting you for lulz). Denouncements are for the higher-level diplo when civs are "forming teams".

8. mike1117112

mike1117112 Chieftain

I'm used to Alex and Monty and Cathy doing it, but in my last game it was the guy from Sweden, two turns after I met him. And every couple of turns he'd pop up and insult me. Sweden? Really? So much for a peaceful game.

9. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Now that you have an enemy, go take him/her out. Then you won't have an enemy on your doorsteps anymore. It's not that hard.

10. Slvynn

Slvynn Duke Vector fon Pixel

some leaders are agressive and their treshhold to covet ur own land is low... from my experiences quick denouncers arecertain leaders... Liz obe of them abd she does it very often

11. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The fun thing about being denounced early is that you get to have a foil for the rest of the game. Having a nemesis really helps me get into the game.

12. Yzman

Yzman Deity

They covet your lands.

13. Ghonasiflaids

Ghonasiflaids Warlord

I've had Alexander denounce me on turn two before, so this does not suprise me.

14. Furycrab

Furycrab King

He's programmed to aim for Domination.

If he can't smack a near neighbor, he will denounce and see what other friends he can get to do so.

15. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

You were besties with Alex? He has always been a total dick to me no matter how much I supported him.

16. Alloran

Alloran Chieftain

"I just met you,
    and this is crazy,
    but I denounce you,
    so hate me maybe?"

17. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Human Player - turn 8: Oh great, I'm next to Greece, got to take them out asap. Turn 17: I'm hating them more, two cities already including a sweet spot I wanted?? Turn 30: declare war and hope to neutralize him.

So why can't the AI "think" the same way?

18. tmarcl

tmarcl Prince

I've always held the opinion that in CiV, the AI will always denounce you. I've rationalized it that they are your opponents. Regardless if you do nothing to them, if you're always honest, never take a city, never settle "near them," never spy on them, whatever, the fact remains that they are in competition with you to win the game. Thus, just by building your first city, they don't like you.

I'm seeing a slight change with that in G&K, but not enough to completely change my mind.

19. floppymoose

floppymoose Warlord

I tend to cruise on prince and struggle on king. In a prince game Alex and I meet right away. We are trapped on a small continent together. From the moment I meet him (turn 3?) I go all out rush. When I have three units he crushes me with 7, three of which were hoplites. Still not quite sure how he built all those units and another city so fast on prince, though I did start out with a horribly anemic Capitol as far as production capability.

20. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

While you haven't figured out your battle plan yet, the AI in its infinite wisdom :mischief: already put it together for you :rolleyes: and dislikes the competition. :crazyeye: