Poisoned Russian Spy Converted to Islam on Deathbed

Capulet

RESTART
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2486268_2,00.html

Litvinenko's father, Walter, said in an interview published today that his son - who was born an Orthodox Christian but had close links to Islamist rebels in Chechnya - had requested to be buried according to Muslim tradition after converting to Islam on his deathbed.

"He said ’I want to be buried according to Muslim tradition’," Mr Litvinenko told Moscow's Kommersant daily.

"I said, ’Well son, as you wish. We already have one Muslim in our family - my daughter is married to a Muslim. The important thing is to believe in the Almighty. God is one.’"

I thought this was interesting.

How interesting! Yet scary too.

The assumption would be that this guy was selling radioactive material to al Qaeda, then. I wonder if that is true.

It was fun to think of Putin as an arch-villain... too bad!

:cool:

Why would his own father lie?

Interesting in what sense, that this man found the "truth" on his deadbed?Actually this is a common reaction. Converting under stressful conditions are emotive and not at all rational. During hard times people ar very suggestible and easily fall prey to any bogus promise for the comfort factor, they are moved by their emotions. This man was clearly close to the Islamic element therefore he chose Islam, had he been born in India he would have sought spiritual comfort in Hinduism. We are a product of our enviornment.

Intersting? no, stupid? yes.

Amazing, how many things one hears about a man after he is dead. It must have been a preety busy last day for Litvinenko, what with the letter acusing Putin, and now this.

How interesting! Yet scary too.

The assumption would be that this guy was selling radioactive material to al Qaeda, then. I wonder if that is true.

It was fun to think of Putin as an arch-villain... too bad!

:cool:

Why would his own father lie?

You don't get it. Dude converted on his death bed. In other words, he was poisoned before he was a Quran snorting fool. Therefore, he has NOTHING to do with Al-Qaeda.

Man, people and context don't mix sometimes.

Maybe he figured given even odds that any religion is 'right' he'd hedge his bet with the 70 virgins and snub St. Peter.

I can only imagine the kind of stuff he did before he died... (He probably took whatever he could get :crazyeye:)

edit: not to question to the genuine intentions of the deceased, of course. Maybe he converted before, but just didn't want to say on the count of persecution?

Don't make fun of him. The 'death bed confession' is a sound game-plan followed by millions of people!

Heck, even Bart Simpson endorsed it.

Maybe it was one last jab at Putin, given Russia's problems with Chechen muslims...

Interesting in what sense, that this man found the "truth" on his deadbed?Actually this is a common reaction. Converting under stressful conditions are emotive and not at all rational. During hard times people ar very suggestible and easily fall prey to any bogus promise for the comfort factor, they are moved by their emotions. This man was clearly close to the Islamic element therefore he chose Islam, had he been born in India he would have sought spiritual comfort in Hinduism. We are a product of our enviornment.

Intersting? no, stupid? yes.

are you actually suggesting religion is rational?

what you said can be said for all religions.

The funny thing is that had this occured the other way round everyone would be singing his praises.

Hmm, the plot thickens. Just another Muslim extremist.

I heard he was a liberal too.

Makes sense to me. At the last minute, he must have figured what the hell, might as well take a shot at those 72 virgins. What did he have to lose?

someone explain to me why it matters what he converted to?

don't we all believe that religion is between a man and a higher power?

Top Bottom