1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Poland and Ukraine strike back

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Rhye, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Bringa

Bringa King

Let me play the devil's advocate here for a moment. Let's talk about the Battle of Vienna, 1683. Who was in charge of that battle and beat back the Turks? Oh, that's right, King Sobieski of the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth. The Poles fielded twice as many troops as the Austrians in that battle.

The angry Pole (for I have no doubt he's a Pole ;P) has his dates somewhat wrong, but Poland/Lithuania *was* a major player during the 16th/17th century, before the insane corruption of the szlachta brought the country to its knees. In 1683, when Poland dealt this resounding defeat to the Turks and drove them out of Europe, it was way past the zenith of its power already, having lost much territory thanks to rather unfortunate decisions of its nobility in the Sejm, the Polish parliament. Have a look at the territorial size of Poland in 1635 and then tell me what other country in Europe was this big. I'll help you: none. None came close.

Styling it the most powerful country in the world is clearly patriotic exaggeration, but if we restrict ourselves to Europe, let's say it was clearly one of the greater countries. I know, this is the part of European history they don't teach you at school (I am German, and I had to look all this stuff up myself) (Full disclosure: my mother is Polish, but I have no patriotic feelings whatsoever), but don't dismiss the notion without some research. Including Austria and not Poland is surely a decision that would be hard to defend historically.

2. kairob

kairob Biohazard

Russia. .

3. Rod

Rod King

:D :D :D

I just love it if an argument just needs one word to explain it all :) :)

4. Úmarth

Úmarth Megalomaniac

Seriously guys, don't start an argument based on what this guy said... it's humiliating.

5. Cossack Captain

Cossack Captain Chieftain

What is the status of the UKRAINE???? :D:D

6. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

7. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Cossack Captain returns? We missed you...

8. Edungeon

Edungeon Flying~

9. Walliard

Walliard WW007D?

It is game to you!

10. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

11. aryann

aryann Warlord

As Europe is so spacious, it only makes sense to have another civs capital 2 tiles from Berlin, leaving mighty Germany with the fantastic lands of the west to expand into and increasing Russian-German wars. Of course adding the mighty nations of Ukraine and Poland would also help ease congestion and only help improve game-speed, namely, late-game. I also agree with that guy in that, Cheroke should be putted in america...

12. sdLeo

sdLeo Cosmopolitan

Not a film, Rhye, it's a series from the 1990's, "Seinfeld". And yes, it is awesome :)

13. say1988

say1988 Deity

Seinfeld....Awesome?
    I suppose it is as awesome that anybody could like it.

14. Cossack Captain

Cossack Captain Chieftain

Yes that will be the future of RFC if I do not get my Ukraine!! :goodjob::goodjob:

Anyway I liked this comment:

15. sdLeo

sdLeo Cosmopolitan

LOL! I DID enjoy watching Seinfeld 10 years ago (oh my I'm getting old...), but the awesome had to do with the clip...

16. say1988

say1988 Deity

YouTube and dial-up don't get along very well, so I didn't watch the clip, and yes I admit it did have an occasional good joke, but overall it was utter crap.

17. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

you already have it!

18. kairob

kairob Biohazard

Any chance of a BTS version ;)