Poland no Pastures?

Zaimejs

Emperor
I have started and restarted 5 times with Poland, but I never get sheep or cows on the map near the capital. Why is that? Shouldn't it be biased toward pastures?!

Gah.

I believe it's just a bias towards plains terrain. As far as I know there's no bias related to things like cattle, fish, etc. It's the same issue with how Japan may have a coastal start bias but that doesn't mean fish. I've had tons of rolls as Japan with no fish anywhere near the capital.

It seems to be a negative factor... less of a chance to have pastures as Poland than as a random leader. Unless I'm crazy. About 20 starts... with a sheep just out of reach. One sheep.

I have noticed the same thing with Poland. Usually find good spots with cattle and sheep for the other cities but never the capital.

Good... it's not just me. Just trying to wrap up the Poland space race achievement.

Most of what is going on is that the map generator values Plains over Grassland and so picks fewer bonus tiles near the capital compared to playing civs with other biases.

If your capital is along a long river, you don't really need the bonus tiles.
But if your plains start is far from fresh water, you may suffer a bit.

Just because the capital don't have horses doesn't mean the area around you won't have horses.

I've rolled as germany and then explored west and found a riverside site with six horse hexs. That became one of my high production centers. And I had one of the biggest cavalry armies ever.

You probably missed out on several epic sites if you didn't explore for like first 30 turns and just rerolled after 1st turn.

Just because the capital don't have horses doesn't mean the area around you won't have horses.

I prefer grass horses anyways.

You can turn on the "balanced resources" advanced option before starting a game to guaranteed some horses within 3 hexes of your Settler start location. I never turn that on though because I think random is more challenging (and I don't want to help my enemies).

I prefer grass horses anyways.

You can turn on the "balanced resources" advanced option before starting a game to guaranteed some horses within 3 hexes of your Settler start location. I never turn that on though because I think random is more challenging (and I don't want to help my enemies).

I've yet to make use of balanced resources too, if specific resource is lacking in your lands, go occupy the land where they is available in abundance is generally what I do XD Even when it means sending a single city into the badlands.

A bit off-topic, but that option makes a game a little bit harder because:
- AI also gets it. It makes AI better, stronger.
- those stategic resources can replace luxury resources. You can have only one resource per tile and that horse has to go somewhere. That 'horse' can be extra copy of a lux (that you could trade with other civs for lux or gold) or even unique lux.

Would enabling Legendary Starts help fix the problem for OP?

Make sure you're playing through to animal husbandry. I've had many games where I thought I had no pastures and then two horses show up after researching AH.

No pastures means no oral tradition, no horses and a wasted ub and maybe uu.

IDK what you mean by no oral tradition there. Isn't oral tradition +1Culture per plantation?

AH > pottery in general on plain starts. Unless you really want to rush a religion with shrine.

Top Bottom