Poland

zwei833

Emperor
My additional bet is: DLC civs will be Poland and Sumer (due to them being very popular demands yet non essential civs).

We'll see who is right soon...

Poland is a essential civ. I can't image a Civ game without Poland.

Personally i feel like it's an insult to Lithuania every time Poland has been included in civ when lithuania was the stronger partner. If anything, Poland should be represented as a part of a lithuanian civ, like Norway was with Denmark in V.

It's a travesty this has been overlooked every time Poland has been included so far.

Especially considering how Poland turned out to be a major market for Civ. Remember how Poland reacted to the fact that BNW added the Polish Civ?

Everytime? I'm sorry, Civ 5 was Poland's first inclusion. People do your research rather than throw accusations.

For the record early screenshots kind of indicated that Lithuania was meant to be part of Poland (Vilinus was seen as part of the city list pre-BNW's release in that developer walkthrough they've done).

Especially considering how Poland turned out to be a major market for Civ. Remember how Poland reacted to the fact that BNW added the Polish Civ?

With all my love towards my country, that's because there is a very strong nationalist/patriotic sentiment in PL (especially when compared to Western nations) combined with inferiority complex (Poland kinda always aspired to be "Western" and imperial), which makes many people go crazy any time Poland is depicted in particularly positive light by Western people, media and popculture. If I recall correctly, back when Poland was announced to be in BNW, all major Polish gaming sites reported it in a great delight, with many non-gaming secondary platforms informing about this fact, not to even mention the cover BNW got in my country:
http://www.gry-online.pl/galeria/gry13/1672892.jpg
The captions below say "Build Polish civilization! For the first time in the history of a franchise, winged hussars and king Casimir the Great are available!"

I don't particularly like this obsession (which makes me a rare specimen :p )

Anyway, I am 90% sure Poland will be among those 2-3 DLC civs because if there is a national gaming market which would adore DLC devoted to it and buy it like crazy - it's Poland :p

EDIT
After a brief googling, I have managed to find enthusiastic news fom 2013 "Poland in a civilization series" on at least two major mainstream (non-gaming) news websites, in the "Culture" section :p

With all my love towards my country, that's because there is a very strong nationalism in PL (compared with Western nations) combined with inferiority complex (Poland kinda always aspired to be "Western"), which makes a lot of people go nuts any time Poland is depicted in positive light by Western people, media and culture.

I don't particularly like this obsession.

Anyway, I am 90% sure Poland will be among those 2-3 DLC civs because I can tell you if there is a gaming market which would adore DLC devoted to it, it's Poland :p

I know how you feel about the nationalism/desire to be western. I'm Turkish, and I'd say that kind of sentiment is everywhere in society. It's pretty scary, actually. I imagine if there were a Turkey Civ under Ataturk (instead of Ottoman Civ under Suleiman or Mehmed II) there would be much rejoicing.

Anyway, I'm also fairly certain Poland will be in a DLC, but we never know. We only know which civs are going to be in the game, and under which leaders. We don't know which of those civs will be added in DLC, and which ones will be in Vanilla.

Personally i feel like it's an insult to Lithuania every time Poland has been included in civ when lithuania was the stronger partner. If anything, Poland should be represented as a part of a lithuanian civ, like Norway was with Denmark in V.

It's a travesty this has been overlooked every time Poland has been included so far.

I think both nations in Commonwealth had their strenght, but I would call Poland stronger one in this alliance. Lithuania had bigger territory and more fertile lands, but polish was richer, a lot more urbanized with cities that were cultural centres (with exception of Vilnius), more significant noble families and AFAIK richer one. When Lublin Union was forming there were even option to fully annex Lithuania, but another option was chosen. Moreover polish language was the common one in both lands at the time of Union and chambers of deputies and senators were occupied mostly by polish nobles (77 Poles to 50 Lithuanians in Sejm and 113 Poles to 27 Lithuanians in Senat) I did not say that to diminish Lithuania (it would be awesome to have them in the game too), but your statement is boldly untrue.

I guess it's Casimir and a Winged Hussar, which seem to be mentioned in the description at the bottom of the image.

Oh, you're probably right. I don't understand the Polish description. :p

Well, in terms of historical significance, I wouldn't say so when we only have 18 Civs.

This though, is true. Still, I think it will likely be DLC.

The Grand duchy of Lithuania reached it peak under Vytautas in the 1430s at around 900,000 km2. The later union of Poland and the GDoL in Polish Lithuanian commonwealth was slightly larger (1.2 million km2) at its peak, but its rulers were from all over, not just Lithuania and Poland, for example Stephen Báthory was a Hungarian who had previously ruled Romania. Still, several of its important rulers were Polish as well.

I think that both countries have been significant, though Lithuania was a major power earlier. But, as other posters have pointed out, Poland is a major market. Modern Lithuania is however far too small to be important to sales. Therefore, they will want to represent that other than it being part of another Civ (I doubt that would sit well with a lot of Polish people).

Well, with recent leak - RIP Poland in the base game. Maybe DLC, but I don't know.

Top Bottom