1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Polders

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by beorn, Mar 5, 2018.

1. beorn

beorn Chieftain

From the time polders were first announced, people have posted as though they are a big deal. And now there seems to be controversy over them in the coming update.

I've played as the Netherlands several times now, and I have done very well. But that is due to their river adjacency for districts. Polders? Almost no advantage at all. Occasionally, there is a spot for one or two in the part of the world I could reasonably expect to be settling. One time that I expanded wildly, I found a spot for adjacent polders, and yes, that was nice, but the game was pretty much in the bag by then anyway.

Am I missing something here? Am I being wildly unlucky with my maps? I mean, they are pretty tiles, but beyond that? Mekewaps are a huge advantage for the Cree. Polders could be discontinued and it seems to me that it would make no difference to me playing as Netherlands.

2. Civ_Gumby

Civ_Gumby Chieftain

Remember back in civ V when you could build polders on marsh/floodplains?

As it stands now, polders are pretty useless, the majority of your cities probably can't even build one right? I am happy to see them get some attention in the patch but I would like to see them add the options from the previous game. Your perception of them seems to be the same as mine from the 2 games I have played with them.

The Netherlands are my favorite civ, it would be nice to see them get some more buffs as they are pretty underwhelming but there are some worse civs in the game..

3. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Chieftain

Personally, I think they should tone down the river thing but make polders more spammable. That would make the Netherlands more unique. Tons of civs want to be by rivers anyway.

nzcamel likes this.
  4. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

Your wish has been granted ->

dunkleosteus likes this.
  5. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Yea, Polders are totally useless.

6. Melliores

Melliores Chieftain

That screenshot from Giskler shows why some players find the relaxing of the requirement to be a bit too much. Personally I think that they will combine it with lower adjacency boni to compensate for the bigger number of polders. This will also benefit the construction of polders on a lake. As you see, those tiles tend to get a lot of yields from the polders currently. :)

nzcamel likes this.
  7. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Warlord

Generally you get huge adjacency bonuses for polders on lakes. I have a feeling. most of the new tiles added by lifting requirements should be on actual coast and thus not so insane. But I need to look at actual maps to check.

8. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

Yeah, but that's the thing: are polders built on lakes though?! I think marshes and floodplains (as in Civ V) is more accurate.

9. Siesta Guru

Siesta Guru Chieftain

Yes. The biggest polder, Flevoland, was build in a (shallow) lake / inland sea as are many of the others.
    There's not that clean of a separation between marsh and lake either anyway. None of our lakes here are very deep

Banazir864 likes this.
  10. Turrdy

Turrdy Chieftain

is that with or without Huey Teocalli?

11. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

That's with Auckland and Huey Teocalli.

12. Melliores

Melliores Chieftain

Technically speaking almost all of the polders are built on lakes, either natural or artificial. For the latter they first build the digue/dijk (or dam in English) and then gradually they start reclaiming land once the sea level can be managed.

The Afsluitdijk and the Houtribdijk are two good examples on how to build big artificial lakes.

So you do need at least 3 adjacent pieces of land between which you can build a digue/dijk.

13. Turrdy

Turrdy Chieftain

and industrial era or later and replaceable parts later i suppose?

i think they could nerf the adjacency bonus to "if adjacent to another polder" instead of "for every adjacent polder"

14. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Yea, that's Atomic Era if I remember correctly.

15. rjg85

rjg85 Chieftain

Have to agree with the OP. Polders are cool if you can build them, but the river adjacency bonus (combined with the population/adjacency dependent policy cards) is what makes the Dutch so good for me. It's just too easy to get absolute powerhouse cities. I've been able to get city yields to almost approach Civ 5 levels by the Industrial era (50+ Science, 50+ Culture from single cities).

nzcamel likes this.
  16. BrotherInJah

BrotherInJah 60% of the time works every time

Polders are like Spain's UA in CIV 5. Your have to by lucky to be placed near decent lake (anything bigger than 1 hex) that is in a decent neighborhood (not surrounded with flat desert).

I know that 3 tiles looks sweet, but that's just 3 tile in entire empire (?).. UI limited to such extremes..? no thanks. Cree UI is much better..:D

17. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

Flat desert is fine.

Untitled by sammykhalifa, on Flickr

I agree that it does not happen often enough, but any more often and I am afraid it will become too much.

nzcamel likes this.
  18. BrotherInJah

BrotherInJah 60% of the time works every time

two stones, one rice, one cattle, oasis and two 4+ hex lakes.. That's amazing spot..!

I'm playing on biggest maps only to make such places generate more often, but w/o luck.. even if i see one it often too far away.. before r&f i would go grab it, but with loyalty system in place it is, not impossible, but really hard to achieve..

19. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

I have never been able to build any polders so cant comment on how good they are, but I think the general consensus is they should be seen a bit more? If they are too good then make them less so, dont make them impossible to build.

nzcamel likes this.
  20. isau

isau Warlord

Polders are kind of hilarious as is because flat Tundra and Desert allow them but Grassy Hills do not. So a lot of times you can find spaces in the Arctic region of the map you can put a Polder but not anywhere on the rest of the map.

I already modded Polders to work with any 3 tiles. They are powerful. But I also dont think its fair to include the Huey wonder or the Auckland city state buff in evaluating them. I mean, the tile is awesome if you get both. But it's just a visual display thing. The hammers from Huey are far from super powerful, they just look that way printed on the map on top of a Lake tile. If Huey just handed you +6 Hammers invisibly we probably wouldn't think of it as a huge buff or connected to Polders. Polders might need a small debuff with their added flexibility, but not much of one. Finding 3 tiles adjacent to water is a little harder than you might think even with hills included.

nzcamel and Banazir864 like this.