1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Police Shoot Tool-wielding Assailant, Outrage Erupts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Azash, Jan 24, 2012.

1. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

I think they were close to him because they expected the taser to bring him down. When it didn't, they were sorta caught with their pants down in a dangerous situation.

2. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

I suppose they could have kept their distance and then sicked that dog on him when he refused to comply.

3. trader/warrior

trader/warrior Deity

Taking the shot in that situation was probably correct, however I would have thought that standard procedure in confronting axe-wielding maniacs would involve staying out of axe-range...

I'd say it was a failure on the part of the cops by lacking caution when the criminal strolled out of the shop in a seemingly calm fashion, and then the cop with the taser blundering in place after the missed taser shot rather than keeping his eye on the criminal and retreating to a safe distance. Not really anything to be outraged about, a simple mistake that has horrible consequences due to the nature of the police profession is bound to happen sometimes. Might be a good time to check if police training and procedures are sufficient though.

Looking at the video again the cop with the taser actually keeps walking towards the guy while looking down at his belt after the the taser shot which seems to have provoked the criminals reaction, the criminal was even walking away from him at that time. That was absolutely a totally idiotic thing to do that probably cost a persons life.

4. Azash

Azash La Sombra

Tasers don't have a long range.

5. Bugfatty300

But dogs do.

6. Azash

Azash La Sombra

Would the dog have been able to reach him without getting bashed, and would it have been able to subdue him? At least to the point where it was preferrable to tasing him?

7. trader/warrior

trader/warrior Deity

The guy kept moving away from the police after the taser shot though, and the blundering officer keeps walking after him while not paying attention to the situation at all.

8. Bugfatty300

I think the dog would have got him, no contest. Either way I think risking the dog, in hindsight of what happened, would have been preferable to the approach they actually used. But that's just my opinion.

He was reloading his taser to get a second shot.

9. Azash

Azash La Sombra

Do you think siccing a dog on someone is better than tasing them?

10. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Is it not possible that he was generally (even more) disoriented as a direct result of the tasing?
    Unleashing the energetic dog on him might have gotten him to fall to the ground, at which point even those policemen would be able to immobilize him.

11. Bugfatty300

If I was concerned about a melee weapon, I'd definitely go with the option that allows me to remain at a safer distance than the option that requires close proximity.

He didn't get tased though. It looks like one of the barbs mssed or didn't stick.

12. Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand Deity

Wow, that was some bad policing. I have to say, that is not how you police :sad:

13. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Just remember that this never wound have happened if they guy hadn't violently broken the law to begin with.

14. Azash

Azash La Sombra

The dog isn't a weapon and is taken into consideration as well.

15. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

You gotta love Americans. A video where a man is killed and the reason it may be removed is because of "bad" language...

Anyway: I'd probably do the same thing as the police officer. But I wonder what would have happened in a country where the police was less aggressive and didn't carry guns. Perhaps he would have just thrown away the crowbar and run, in stead of trying to hit them.

16. PacoDeth

PacoDeth Chieftain

I could be wrong, but I don't think they send dogs in to "attempt" to dive on a armed criminal that is quite coherent of his surroundings and where the dog is. I don't doubt there have been events where police have sent in dogs like this. But you mainly see them send dogs in to grab a fleeing individual or find someone that is hiding. The dogs are considered police officers themselves and trying to kill one holds the same penalty as if it were the human type. And these cops don't want to risk harm to their mutt any more than they do their fellow officers.

I think the dog was there to nab the guy if he started to run, or if they saw a good opening where the assailant turned his back and gave a safe opening.

What transpired was in a matter of seconds. They went to step one of trying to order the guy to drop the weapon, he didn't comply. They then tried tasering him (or was it pepper spray?) and missed or the taser was innefective. The officer with the taser then attempted to reload the taser to fire off another round. This is when the criminal reared up ready to attack and was well within striking range of the officer. It looks like he even surprised the officer that had gotten to close as he was paying more attention to reloading his taser than he was the criminal. And finally you have the other officer protecting his partner by putting the guy down as surely and quickly as possible in order to safeguard the other officer.

At this point it was too late to send in the dog. I think their plan was to taser the individual into submission, when the first round failed, they were going to attempt again but never got to that point. The reason the 2nd officer had his gun out and not another less lethal option like a taser is that the taser (as seen in the video) is not as effective or guaranteed as a firearm, I'd say he made the right decision.

You have to take into context, that between the time the guy actually acknowledged their existence (around 36second mark) and when he reared up to attack (around 44second mark), only 8 seconds have passed by. This guy gave those officers 8 whole seconds to respond before he went after one of them. That's such a short window to make judgement calls when you have no clue what this person is capable of, or if they are more heavily armed or protected.

17. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

That pretty much covers it, in my opinion. As soon as he broke the law and refused to follow police instructions, he basically agreed to the police shooting him. If he doesn't want to get shot, put down the weapon.

I think he's talking about CFC taking it down...

18. Bugfatty300

Police dogs/attack dogs are most certainly weapons, not only in a technical sense but also in a legal sense according to many state's laws and court rulings. Also the well being of a police dog do not supersede the priority of human life, even a dangerous suspect's life, hence why they are trained to attack at all.

This is a silly myth. Killing/injuring a police dog does not carry the same penalties as killing/injuring a real human being. No such law equating a dogs life to that of a human being would stand up in any reasonable court room.

19. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

Yes I know. That's what I meant. CFC is an American site AFAIK.

20. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

The location of the site makes no difference. Whether this site is supposed to be rated PG-13 or under does.