Policies and Multiple units per tile damage

Paasky

Good News Everyone!
Alright, here are two ideas I've had:

1) Can a player unselect policies and select new ones either a) one at a time or b) through a revolution? I've only played the demo so far, but it would seem that having the ability to change from democratic to autocratic would be a nice thing to have.

2) After looking at Kael's mod, and finding out we can set how many units per tile to have, I was thrilled. Don't get me wrong, 1 per tile is a great new feature making the wars be about more than just piling huge stacks at cities. But my idea is this:

- Max 3 units per tile (still no stacks of doom, but makes battles less like chess)
- Having one unit per tile = no effect
- 2 per tile: both units lose one hp per turn
- 3 per tile
If tile has an improvement: all units lose 1 hp, improvement is razed
If tile doesn't/has razed improvement: all units lose 1-2 hp

This would simulate the fact that large armies, especially when packed together, had huge losses from disease and starvation. Usually most of the food was simply looted from the lands they marched through, and having too amny people meant not enough food.

Once you research a technology (industrialism?) units will no longer lose hp, but instead
- 1 per tile: no effect
- 2 per tile: each unit costs 1gpt extra
- 3 per tile: each unit costs 2gpt extra

I haven't looked at the lua files yet, but I did do some python coding in civ4.

(oh and to anyone who might remember me, hi again, CiV has brought me back from the woods :))

I'd recommend limiting the # of units per tile to technology or, maybe, social policies and not penalizing the player for doing it. I doubt the AI, for example, could handle the penalties and we'd be seeing them destroying their own country side just mobilizing themselves.

I think three units per tile would be a good base number. However, if we start adding stacks we should add collateral damage to siege units and such.

How about limiting stacking only to different unit types - for example can stack together a melee, ranged and mounted units, but not two melee units, say?

Btw, welcome back Paasky! I remember your WW2 scenario for Civ4.

Unfortunately the only setting we have in XML is max_units_on_plot.

I've been playing a game with 2 units per tile, and there's one bug I've noticed: If you have two units in a sieged city, neither can attack out, you'll have to move one to another tile (which consumes all movement points) before the 2nd can attack.

Top Bottom