Policy Discussion: Honor

All lets put the ranged ship new unit discussion in its own topic, no need to clog this already busy threAd.

I'm in the camp that says warfare is warefare, no need to split land and water.

That said I would not have an issue if inly Merle units and melee ships got the healing and looting bonus

That works for me. Melee units are more likely to benefit (and it would be more likely to be easier to use for the AI, the melee unit would at least have taken some damage in the attack)

I like that solution as well. Makes melee ships a bit more distinct, too, which is nice.

Fine, but the combatbonus for nearby units stay on the ranged units, and ranged ships

I still say we don't need a situational combat bonus, a straight up bonus is fine

Replace it with siege bonus? Straight up bonus is too powerful for the honortree imo, feels more like Exploration.

Straight up bonus is too powerful for the honortree imo, feels more like Exploration.

I don't think 10% is that much better than 10% adjacent, just less of an imbalance between human and AI.

Honor V1.1

Opener: +33% Strength vs. Barbarians, and receive Notifications when Encampments appear. Earn Culture from defeating units, capturing Cities and clearing Encampments. +3% Production when building Military units for every Honor policy taken.

Imperialism: No Unhappiness from Isolation. A Free Settler appears in the Capital.

Martial Law: Disorder reduced by 15% in cities. Garrisons in Occupied Cities reduce Unhappiness from Occupation by 50%.

Logistics: Killing a military unit generates Science based on the defeated unit's strength. All melee units heal for 20 points after killing a military unit.

Conscription: Units gain +10% Combat Strength. A ranged unit spawns in your Capital, and in every city settled after taking this Policy.

Tribute: A free Great General appears outside your capital. Gain a bonus to food and hammers whenever your borders expand.

Finisher: Cities increase the culture cost of policies by 25% less than normal. Start a golden age whenever a capital is taken for the first time. Great Generals can be purchased with faith at the Industrial Era

Not sure what I feel about tribute, but I don't really care about honor so I'll let someone who does argue about it.

However you totally backstabbed me on that Logistics. We decided on 'Any melee unit' Not 'Any land unit'

Tribute needs a gold function. I'd rather have that border pop effect in liberty (it's fine here too I suppose), but I'd like to keep a gold generator in here somewhere, either from kills or gold generated from building military units or Great Generals.

Tribute needs a gold function. I'd rather have that border pop effect in liberty (it's fine here too I suppose), but I'd like to keep a gold generator in here somewhere, either from kills or gold generated from building military units or Great Generals.

I agree a gold function could work.

The reason I like it in honor is the following:

1) It fits the theme of expansion. We expand our cities, and expand our borders.

2) It works well with citadels...providing something more to do with those extra GGs you often get.

3) It provides some bonus to "aggressive" border expansion, which is a passive aggressive approach to an opponent.

Aka you settle near an opponent than quicker buy the key tiles near by. I like that this makes an honor player aggressive...but in non direct warfare ways.

I agree a gold function could work.

The reason I like it in honor is the following:

1) It fits the theme of expansion. We expand our cities, and expand our borders.

2) It works well with citadels...providing something more to do with those extra GGs you often get.

3) It provides some bonus to "aggressive" border expansion, which is a passive aggressive approach to an opponent.

Aka you settle near an opponent than quicker buy the key tiles near by. I like that this makes an honor player aggressive...but in non direct warfare ways.

Just going to point out that making the policy work with citadels and tilebuying is not a good idea, you're putting people in a situation where they can buy hammer/food for gold, which is silly really.
If you want synergy with agressive border expansion then just add something lowering the goldcost of buying tiles instead?

where they can buy hammer/food for gold, which is silly really.

Mystikx suggested gold for the bonus which I am fine with. Effectively reduces buy costs...but gives you a bonus for other types of border expansion

Honor V1.2

Now with gold for tribute!!!

Opener: +33% Strength vs. Barbarians, and receive Notifications when Encampments appear. Earn Culture from defeating units, capturing Cities and clearing Encampments. +3% Production when building Military units for every Honor policy taken.

Imperialism: No Unhappiness from Isolation. A Free Settler appears in the Capital.

Martial Law: Disorder reduced by 15% in cities. Garrisons in Occupied Cities reduce Unhappiness from Occupation by 50%.

Logistics: Killing a military unit generates Science based on the defeated unit's strength. All melee units heal for 20 points after killing a military unit.

Conscription: Units gain +10% Combat Strength. A ranged unit spawns in your Capital, and in every city settled after taking this Policy.

Tribute: A free Great General appears outside your capital. Gain a bonus to gold whenever your borders expand.

Finisher: Cities increase the culture cost of policies by 25% less than normal. Start a golden age whenever a capital is taken for the first time. Great Generals can be purchased with faith at the Industrial Era

Looks better, still not sure about tribute at all but I'll let someone who actually cares worry about that ^^

Anyways i see you've writted "for every *policy taken" in both this tree and liberty, by that do you include the opener? Does it go to 18% or 15%?

Anyways i see you've writted "for every *policy taken" in both this tree and liberty, by that do you include the opener? Does it go to 18% or 15%?

Yes, my intention with any scaling opener is to include the base opener as well...that way the mechanic is consistent for all the opener trees.

Top Bottom