1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Policy Requirements for Wonders too low?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by lunker, Dec 29, 2019.

?

Is the Policy Requirement for World Wonders too low?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    71.0%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lunker

lunker Warlord

I don't have much to say about it but I feel that I haven't been gated by Policies in a long while now. Only in the Ancient era does it sometimes come into play. I'd like for Policy amount to be a little more relevant rather than the Tech leader getting dibs on Wonders.

2. andersw

andersw Emperor

I would say that its rare with a tech leader that is behind in policys.
    The two often goes hand in hand and those who fall behind tend to fall behind in both.

civplayer33 likes this.
  3. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

On the SV style immortal games it’s hit me several times, it definately makes a difference with certain wonders.

Heck even early wonders like hanging gardens. If I beeline first mathematics I often get the tech before I have the needed policies.

4. Zuizgond

Zuizgond Prince

I think there should be a way to prevent wonder stacking in one city.

Maybe a cooldown in turns after building a wonder in a city (builders need rest).

5. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper King

Pursuing more realism over the fun aspect of the game won't end up well imo; add this then more realism by making some civilization-exclusive wonders; Pyramids for Egypt ..... Brandenburg gate for Germany Mausoleum for Greece etc, then add even more realism by having to finish it by a certain date and the list of realistic addition to the game would go on and on.
    The game is already hindering the multiple wonders builder by raising the hammers cost and i don't think you should be punished as a player for investing in hammers over food or other resources trying to win a race for a certain wonder.

John.B.C, Carloshooter, vyyt and 4 others like this.
  6. MarvelOfRain

MarvelOfRain Chieftain

The cost penalty seems good enough in my opinion. If anything maybe make it city-specific or wonders in other cities increase the production by smaller amount then Wonders in this city?

JamesNinelives likes this.
  7. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

I agree. I mean the thing to remember is that when the capital is building all of those wonders its having to delay other infrastructure. Its still often worth it, but it does have a big cost.

vyyt and civplayer33 like this.
  8. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper King

It's only worth it if you get the wonder tho, especially in the early game going all in for Library wonder instead of building a regular library is the high risk/high reward scenario you are are talking about; it's only worth it if you win the race but if you don't you wasted early valuable of hammers for basically nothing i know culture compensation exists and you are just better off reloading an auto save.

Bascule2000 and vyyt like this.
  9. MarvelOfRain

MarvelOfRain Chieftain

The big thing is also that every Wonder increases the cost of the other ones, so while in the base game you could grab something like Neuschwanstein just because it was available and there was little competition, now it would increase the cost of all other more relevant Wonders. So even if you get the Wonder you might end up wasting a bunch of hammers over the game. Overall wonders seem in a pretty healthy state.

vyyt and JamesNinelives like this.
  10. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

Policy requirements seem about right to me. I don't come across them very often after early-game, but I tend to play civs with strong culture so that kind of makes sense.

In terms of getting wonders for me it's not just about being competitive in technology - often I will have to choose between a tech that gives me the wonder I want and a tech that gives me military upgrades for example (which seems like a good kind of decision to have to make). There's usually a kind of opportunity cost involved.

vyyt likes this.
  11. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

The policy limit is often relevant to me for several wonders, including the hanging gardens (and anything on that tech column), Notre Dame, and Leaning Tower of Pisa.